Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Tie-downs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Tie-downs

Is there any document that shows the best places to install tie downs (d-rings) on the roof of a Solitude 344GK? I need to secure my kayak up there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not seen any one do that with a 5th wheel due to the added height. I have seen some nice racks that mount on the truck roof with an extension/support bracket/mount coming up from the front bumper. Have you considered some type of hitch rack with the kayak in the upright position at the rear of your Solitude. You may have to do some type of custom fabrication.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtivy53 View Post
    Is there any document that shows the best places to install tie downs (d-rings) on the roof of a Solitude 344GK? I need to secure my kayak up there.
    Putting a kayak up there is likely to put you over 13'6" unless it's really shallow. Measure carefully before you make any holes to be sure. It may make it under the limit but I would hate for you to find that 1 bridge that's 13'7" and tear a bunch of stuff up.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kayak on top

Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    Putting a kayak up there is likely to put you over 13'6" unless it's really shallow. Measure carefully before you make any holes to be sure. It may make it under the limit but I would hate for you to find that 1 bridge that's 13'7" and tear a bunch of stuff up.
    the top of the kayak is level with the top of the AC units.... so I'd BETTER BE ok!! (LOL). thanks!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    I have not seen any one do that with a 5th wheel due to the added height. I have seen some nice racks that mount on the truck roof with an extension/support bracket/mount coming up from the front bumper. Have you considered some type of hitch rack with the kayak in the upright position at the rear of your Solitude. You may have to do some type of custom fabrication.
    Thanks GnC. I had it on top of the pickup, but no front support, so it got kinda wiggidy in the Wyoming 'breezes'. I'll probably do the same thing tomorrow, then fab a bracket later on.

Cheers,
    S&R

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, bad idea due to the roof structure and the fragility of the roof membrane. As others have suggested, a well-supported rack on top of the truck would be better (or get inflatable kayaks like we have...).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a hitch mounted vertical carrier?
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    IMHO, bad idea due to the roof structure and the fragility of the roof membrane. As others have suggested, a well-supported rack on top of the truck would be better (or get inflatable kayaks like we have...).

Rob
    HI Rob, I came across this post of yours from last year and was wondering which inflatable kayaks you have. I have followed a lot of your post and find your information to be quite helpful and was figuring you had done your research before the purchase. I have done lots of looking but there are so many options. It always seems better to get first hand information from someone who has actually used them.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    HI Rob, I came across this post of yours from last year and was wondering which inflatable kayaks you have. I have followed a lot of your post and find your information to be quite helpful and was figuring you had done your research before the purchase. I have done lots of looking but there are so many options. It always seems better to get first hand information from someone who has actually used them.
    We had a Sea Eagle two-person Kayak (three with a grandkid). It had inflatable seats and everything packed up in it's own wrap-style carrier. It's at the grandkids house in Maryland now... they use it more than we did. It's very high quality and we were quite pleased with it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We had a Sea Eagle two-person Kayak (three with a grandkid). It had inflatable seats and everything packed up in it's own wrap-style carrier. It's at the grandkids house in Maryland now... they use it more than we did. It's very high quality and we were quite pleased with it.

Rob
    Rob, thanks for that info. Once again, this forum is going to cost me money. lol. But, as usual, it will be money put to good use.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast