User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the 2500HD will pull the unit but will it be safe. Also the extra weight can add wear and tear to the transmission, engine and more importantly the braking system. I am going with the 3500HD Dually that can handle it safely and has exhaust breaking system. I believe you can't be too safe when it deals with your family's life. Good luck on your decision.
    Kamper
    Johnny & Mary
    Henderson, NC 4 Now
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab High Country
    24K Pullrite ISR 5th Wheel Hitch with Super Rails

:cool:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
    I agree that the 2500HD will pull the unit but will it be safe. Also the extra weight can add wear and tear to the transmission, engine and more importantly the braking system. I am going with the 3500HD Dually that can handle it safely and has exhaust breaking system. I believe you can't be too safe when it deals with your family's life. Good luck on your decision.
    In some cases yes, but not in this case. The engine, transmission, AND braking system are exactly the same across the HD lines. The ONLY difference in the spring capacity. All the braking components are interchangeable, the engine is exactly the same, the frame is exactly the same, etc.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    In some cases yes, but not in this case. The engine, transmission, AND braking system are exactly the same across the HD lines. The ONLY difference in the spring capacity. All the braking components are interchangeable, the engine is exactly the same, the frame is exactly the same, etc.
    My SuperDuty F250 with the towing package has exactly the same transmission, engine and springs as the F350's. But it doesn't have the same rear axle. The Ford Sterling axle housing and the axles within are no where as thick and tough as those on the F350 dual rear wheel model. And that's where the 3/4 ton truck comes up short.

It's the same with the Chevy 2500 vs. 3500. It all comes down to the truck's weight carrying capability on the rear end. It's just not there on a 3/4 ton, and spending an extra $1K or so on a 1 ton dual rear wheel truck is better done now rather than later..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not entirely disagreeing with your second statement. On the Chevy, it is all the same for SRW, the only difference is the spring capacity, yes the DRW will have a different axle do to the additional wheels. You are correct, if you're buying new, get it done now, if you want the DRW.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, I really don't care to deal with dual wheels in a parking lot. I have hard enough time parking my crew cab in a normal parking place, and often just take up two parking places. My truck only has 120K miles, and it still has many more miles left in it.

My Reflection trailer works with my 3/4 ton truck, and I have no desire to have a larger, more expensive trailer. My trailer also suits my needs perfectly with the bunkhouse for my daughter and her two young kids.

My trailer stays in our membership campground storage, and their professional drivers move it on and off campsites. I do anticipate traveling around a little, but most of our camping is right where we want to be--North GA Mountains. It's nice not to have to spend $40K difference to buy a new truck.

cbwallace
    Regardless of the configuration of your 2500 you will most likely be over GVWR at a minimum. I have a 2013 2500 Duramax CC with a 10,000 lb GVWR which scales at 8000 lbs leaving me 2000 lbs for pin weight. As some have already noted the 2500 SRW and 3500 SRW are identical other than the 3500 has an extra leaf spring allowing for the increased capacity. The Solitude 320X has a dry pin weight of 2480 lbs, but your loaded pin weight could be as much as 3200 lbs. In the end you will need to have it scaled, determine what weight ratings you exceed and determine if you are comfortable with the situation. Air bags will help reduce squat but will not increase your GVRW. Exceeding GVRW will void your warranty if there is any way for the GM/Dealer to determine you are towing such a heavy load. In an ideal world a 3500 DRW would be best but there are also many of us in your situation where trading trucks would be pretty costly.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am towing a Solitude 325X with my Duramax 2500HD. While I know I am at max, have had no problems. Without the air bags, the sag was less that 2 inches. I recently installed air ride but have not hooked up to see the difference in ride height. I am very comfortable with my safety and performance. Besides that, "the dealer said it would work" oops
    If You are Lucky ... You are Lucky Enough

Bob & Jayne
    Ninety Six, SC & Ft. Myers, FL
    2022 Solitude 390 GK R
    2020 RAM 3500 SRD 4x4 Limited
    6.7l H/O & Aisin trans

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who has been towing my rig with an F=150 Ecoboost rated to 11,200 lbs with no problem, I am now thinking into the future and ordering a Super Duty. The cost difference between an F-250 and F-350 was only a few hundred, so though my fiver is half-ton towable, I opted for the F-350 SRW because I know my next fiver will be four season and much heavier.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been towing my 320x with my Chevy 2500HD Duramax with no problems. Before I received my trailer, I did add air bags just to be cautious. And yes, the only difference between the models is the extra spring (and duals, of course). In fact, the towing capacity listed for my truck is the same as that of a 3500 The hitch weight listed on the site is the average weight, which should include about a ton and a half of cargo. Now I'm not saying that it's the ideal towing package, but it is within the limits of the vehicle and will last until I decide on getting something bigger.
    Tony & Judy DaVanzo
    Riverside, CA
    2015 Solitude 320x #3626 Plant #1 Line #1
    2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Diesel / Aisin Transmission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, could you tell me how you arrive (in your second paragraph) at adding 700lb to the hitch weight of your Reflection? Are you putting in a washer dryer? Are you figuring that in clothes/shoes added to the closet in front? Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast