Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jsewan

I don't want to speak for Jim, but I think the 700 lbs is an actual measured weight.
    It would be the sum of everything he put into the empty (dry) 5th wheel that ends up being partially carried by the pin.
    The Reflections have almost all of their storage space forward of the trailer axles, so part of everything in the forward half of the galley, the bathroom, the bedroom, the pass through storage area, the front storage space, and whatever is in the holding and fresh water tanks is carried by the truck. The closer an item is to the front of the RV, the more affect it will have on pin weight.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoting from a GM brochure the payload rating for a 2500 hd crewcab srw standard bed is 2793. For a 3500 with the same features it is 4264. That's a big difference. For a 303 or 293 reflection a 2500 should be fine. Anything bigger with dry pin weights of 2000 lb's or more you could be pushing the limit's.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does the Op think so far?

Virginia Camper
    For the site Administrators (and all), For the sake of safety, would you consider putting a definative statement about certain tow vehicles on this website. I have looked at the GVWR for the 2015 Ram 2500s, the Chevy 2500s and F250s with diesel engines. They are all at 10,000 lbs. I am pretty sure the earlier models are also. The trucks weigh about 7500 lbs. When you add the weight of the hitch and two passengers you are over 8000 lbs. 10,000 lbs minus 8,000 lbs = 2,000 lbs. There is not a Solitude that has a pin weight less than 2400 lbs. Therefore, you cannot tow a Solitude with a Ram 2500, Chevy 2500 or F250 without exceeding GVWR. I cannot understand why this is always discussed. I think RV dealers who sell Solitudes to people with these vehicles should have some type of liability. Not trying to upset anyone, just trying to keep everyone safe.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virginia Camper,

Well said !
    I would not want to venture an opinion on whether forum administrators could/should make definitive statements or where RV dealer responsibility starts and ends . . . But you have managed to boil this much discussed topic down to the simple facts of the situation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't need the site administrators as we have the Weight Police to keep us straight. They like to throw around all the GVWR's and other abbreviations that are so hard to understand.

It's strange to see some 3/4 ton trucks, especially gas 2x4 models to have high tow capabilities. When you add 450 lbs. for a diesel engine and another 450 lbs. for a 4x4 transfer case and front axle, weight carrying capability (kingpin weight) is often lessened. Towing over 10K with any gas engine is certainly not recommended by me.

You're right that full size fifth wheel trailers generally require a Dual Rear Wheel truck to get enough weight carrying capability. My 3/4 ton crew cab has plenty of towing power, but it's a bastard truck in that the rear differential housing and axle components are just not up to more than 2500 lbs.

Grand Design has done a great job designing and manufacturing the Reflection line of trailers that are perfect for 3/4 ton trucks properly equipped. But Momentums and Solitudes are full size units, and worthy of a proper dual rear wheel tow truck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this goes out to everyone, I have a document that is a calculator to determine the tow vehicle is the right one for an RV. All anyone has to do is simply plug n the numbers and see if the Rv and vehicle is a match. I am not sure how to attach a file lie that on the forums. anyone have an idea. or drop me an email and I will share this Tow Vehicle (TV) calculator. [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AL and Holly
    355TH Momentum, #00811, 2014
    GMC Sierra, 3500HD, SRW, Diesel 2014

droidguru
    I am not sure how much I can add that hasn't already been said here so this is just from experience and is not based on anything but how I felt at the moment. When we picked up our first travel trailer I pulled it with a Ram 1500 at about the limit of the truck. I was always sweating while driving, it took a while to get up to speed and at times going up hill I could barely hold 30mph. We traded it in and I used a friends 2500 to pick up our reflection 323BHS. It pulled it great but something wasn't quite right. I couldn't accelerate smoothly to "safely pass" those who shouldn't be on the road (texter's I'm looking at you please put your phones down it isn't worth it). Also it was windy and I felt as if the trailer was forcing the truck ever so slightly forcing a constant auto-correction. Short story is it convinced me to buy a Ram 3500 Dually. Now my wife gently reminds me every 30 mins or so "Exit coming up, remember you are pulling the trailer". As I look back to reaffirm it is still actually back there. I really feel like if a sink hole opened and swallowed the trailer this truck could save us from the hole as long as I had the front two wheels on the ground.

Short of it is I know it is overkill but honestly it is one of the best trailer related decisions I could have made.

Now the downside. I have to take public transportation when I commute into the city, this thing can't fit in the city garage (and I tried as the security guard watched amusingly). I park in the very last spot at Home Depot (since I feel bad about taking up two spots when I park). And I will sometimes not go places with it (ie the mall on the weekends) since I just don't want to be that guy. So it has become a trailer pulling vehicle/last resort vehicle mainly. In that aspect I miss my old 1500 that thing was awesome and I drove it everywhere. If I had the money I would have held on to it :-(.......

I know this post won't help anyone but that is as close as I can get to saying go with the 1 ton. However don't take out a second mortgage if you drive your trailer 200 miles a year and you are within the weight limits (just leave early when traffic is lighter, pack your patience, drive safely and the other hurried folks will find their way around you). If you go this route be 100% you are not trading up in the next five years though!!!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points. I too to to Home Depot all the time, and I'm not bashful about taking up 2 parking places with my crewcab.

It's a shame that heavy duty pickups have had a 90% price rise in the last 12 years--but it's the truth. But have you seen the used 3/4-1 ton prices for 2011-2012 diesels? They're simply out of sight.

After all, the diesel trucks' true value is not just in how they tow. It's how they perform with relatively little maintenance (other than oil changes). And the best value is in their longetivity--paying off after 10 years' usage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123