User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elwood

Proper tow vehicle

I bought a Solitude 320X and was planning on pulling it with new 2015 Chevy 2500HD w/ Duramax diesel, but am wondering if it's big enough. Anybody out there who can talk me down from the edge of the cliff or do I need to rethink this & get a 3500HD?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back away from the cliff, Elwood and rethink this. Towing capacity isn't a problem but I think you're pushing the limits of GVWR and payload with the 3/4 ton. Check the numbers and you'll see. Then you can decide for yourself. If it were me, I would go with the 1 ton.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 2500 can pull it just fine, but can it handle the weight you place on it?

According to the GD website, the unloaded pin weight of a 320X is 2,480 pounds. For comparison purposes, the hitch weight on my Reflection 337RLS is 2,090 pounds. When I'm fully loaded, the pin weight on my Reflection is right around 2,790 pounds. So I'm adding 700 pounds to the pin weight. If you load your 320X similarly, you'll be at 3,180 pounds.

Now, you'll need to calculate the load you're placing on your truck. 3,180 pounds (pin weight), 150 pounds (fifth wheel hitch weight), 600 pounds (driver, passenger and cargo). That comes out to 3,930 pounds.

With the 3,930 pound load, you need to determine the weight you can load in the truck. There are a couple of ways to determine this. One is to take the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the truck, and then subtract the unloaded weight of the truck. The difference is the carrying capacity. Another method is to look at the driver's side door pillar. The tire placard will give information about that specific vehicle and tell you what the payload is. On my F350, the payload is 3,500 pounds. I haven't done any research, but I don't think you'll find a 2500 Chevy or equivalent vehicle with enough payload to haul that kind of weight. Some folks will tell you to put airbags on your truck. That will level it out, but it will not increase the weight rating.

The variables you have are how much weight you load on the pin of the FW, and how much cargo you put in the truck. If I were you, I'd look for a truck with 4K of payload in order to be safe and well equipped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling and handling or two different issues. I once pulled a heavy bumper pull with a Ford Ranger. I could pull it with no problem, hard to turn and stop
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most folks replace their rv's with larger units...If you get the 1 ton you won't have to worry when you get the next rv.

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with AJ plus you need to take in to account extra weight you may take on over the trip and life of the truck, I also like to have extra capacity when we are going up and down mountain routes with a big 5er on the back!
    that is why I have a new F450 on order it will look after us on any trip around the US I hope!

Good luck for 2015
    Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 323BHS came in at about 500 lbs. over the advertised weights--2050 lbs. pin weight and just over 11K lbs. That's as much weight as I want to pull with my 3/4 ton diesel SuperDuty with Air Ride suspension on the back.

In reality, you're probably looking at a minimum 3000 lbs. pin weight and 12,000 lbs. without any of your possessions included.

Go with a 1 ton dual rear wheel diesel pickup truck. You won't regret it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcy and I just bought a 3500 for all the reasons already stated even though we have a 303 reflection. One more thing to think about is that if you were to get in an accident and your insurance carrier found out that you were overloaded they may not take care of it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step back, rethink the situation, do the numbers and math. If not sure how to, there are post on several sites that you can read and study, and or ask here if you have questions. Good to have numbers availible when asking. It will give you the answer your looking for. Then you have to decide if your comfortable with it or not. Then you will know if you need to buy a bigger truck.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my memory's right, it's just about $1K option for the dual rear wheels. If you have to trade later for a 1 ton, the cost difference will be many times that. And as they say above, many owners eventually may trade up to a heavier fifth wheel trailer that will require a 1 ton truck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast