Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TP in the grey water dump

Hello,
    Well I dumped the Black tanks first and things appeared normal.
    But when I dumped the Grey (kitchen) tank I noticed some Toilet Paper coming through which was a shock to me! ...What is causing this?
    ...And, why is it not dissolved if I'm using the RV-biodegradable stuff?
    Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello,
    Well I dumped the Black tanks first and things appeared normal.
    But when I dumped the Grey (kitchen) tank I noticed some Toilet Paper coming through which was a shock to me! ...What is causing this?
    ...And, why is it not dissolved if I'm using the RV-biodegradable stuff?
    Thanks
    I would guess there was TP left in the hose from the black tank dump that was dislodged when you dumped the gray tank and it had not dissolved yet.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I would guess there was TP left in the hose from the black tank dump that was dislodged when you dumped the gray tank and it had not dissolved yet.
    Hmm, why didn't all the black water dislodge it?
    And how long does it actually take for TP to dissolve?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, why didn't all the black water dislodge it?
    And how long does it actually take for TP to dissolve?
    Depends on what it got caught on. Maybe it was at the end of the black tank flow and not enough pressure to move it along until the grey water came through.

As to "how long" it depends on the type of TP you're using and how much. Some dissolve quicker than others.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Depends on what it got caught on. Maybe it was at the end of the black tank flow and not enough pressure to move it along until the grey water came through.

As to "how long" it depends on the type of TP you're using and how much. Some dissolve quicker than others.
    Thanks, yeah, that's what I was thinking: that their just wasn't enough force -- for some reason. If so, then I guess the question is why was their more force from the Grey Water tanks than the Black water tank itself? And in case it's a factor; there was only urine (and small amount of TP) in the Black water tank.

As for TP dissolve time: I guess I'm just asking if we're talking hours, days, weeks?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never checked it out. You can Take a piece and drop it in a glass of water to see.

The more water in the black the better. It’s common for TP,etc to get caught in the hose. It’s the very reason why you empty the black first and let the gray flush the hose.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks; I guess I won't try and understand why one tank (Grey) would flush out the TP stuck in the hose, but not the other (Black) ...unless the TP is one of the last things to drain, then that might make sense because then there would be nothing behind it to flush it out until you opened the Grey tank.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks; I guess I won't try and understand why one tank (Grey) would flush out the TP stuck in the hose, but not the other (Black) ...unless the TP is one of the last things to drain, then that might make sense because then there would be nothing behind it to flush it out until you opened the Grey tank.
    You didn't mention which trailer you have, however this is universal... When you dump the black tank, it's a very good idea to rinse the tank using the black tank rinse system on the trailer. Rinse until the water coming out of the tank is clear/mostly clear. Then dump the grey tank(s). I also want to add that when using the commode, water is your friend. The more water, the better "stuff" will break down and liquefy. Experience tells me (we've been RV'ing for over 20 years) those blue packets that are just deodorizers do little to help break down the solids. Use an enzymatic type tank treatment and your black tank will thank you. I use this one, but there are others on the market...

https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Digest..._t1_B07564FPHL

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, yeah, that's what I was thinking: that their just wasn't enough force -- for some reason. If so, then I guess the question is why was their more force from the Grey Water tanks than the Black water tank itself? And in case it's a factor; there was only urine (and small amount of TP) in the Black water tank.

As for TP dissolve time: I guess I'm just asking if we're talking hours, days, weeks?
    You probably need to use more water when you flush the toilet and precharge the black tank.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Probably the answer. We use lots of TP (kids). I can go through 3-5 cycles of the black tank flush (which includes closing the valve for 2-3 min to build up water to aid in flushing) before I get it all out. It seems to like to be the last thing to come out. Wads of TP don't ever really dissolve (any kind), so much as they get really weak and easier to break up into smaller clumps in a strong flow. So easy for a last-thing-in-the-black-tank clump to stay in the pipe, until the gray water flushes it out.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast