User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    That's great, what were your numbers? Specially the pin weight.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Here's the main portion of the spreadsheet. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight results.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	30318

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What hitch setup are you running?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Half Ton View Post
    What hitch setup are you running?
    I've got a Curt A16 standard hitch. I bought it from etrailer.com with the F150 custom mount and the proper wedge so I can use the Turning Point pinbox in turn mode. Much lighter than a sliding hitch.

I may end up regretting using the pinbox in turn mode, but I need more experience with it. I drove a 35' 5th from 1997 to 2003 and remember hitching being a simple experience. So far, hitching in the narrow confines of my storage space has been tedious - lots of jockeying around to get the truck angle correct and the pin centered on the hitch. I haven't seen others complain about this. The box also squeaks loudly when I do a 90 degree turn. Hopefully it was lubed at the factory.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeffry, it sounds like Foothiller has it down as far as the F150 and payload package required. I drive a F350 4x4 FX4 with a couple of options I really think you would like that I'm pretty sure Ford offers on the F150. One is the Ultimate Tow Camera Package (5 cameras). You can't believe how helpful the camera on top of the rear cab is when it comes to hooking up your fifth wheel, it has a + function that allows you to magnify the standard 8 inch screen image when you get your pin close to the hitch (first time every time hookup). For me it was a must have. (You would also like the Sync 3,maybe Sync 4 by now communication/navigation features that is encompassed with the package). Electronic locking differential, a must have if backing your RV up a gravel slope like I have. Keep in mind your weight ratings but do look into a larger aftermarket fuel tank. I went up to an aftermarket 55 gallon tank that fit into the space previously occupied by the OEM tank. A year later I added a 41 gallon tank in the truck bed. Its just a matter of convenience when pulling not to stop every 250 miles. Finally, I borrowing Foothillers spreadsheet for my new Solitude weights.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have your camera package. As soon as you add the HDPP you're prevented from ordering much else. I'm using the Turning Point hitch as the swivel so end up with a wedge near the pin. The wedge requires a lot of precision when you hitch up. I do have an extra camera to go with my rear view camera package but it's very wide-angle. I'll need to rig up a mount very close to the hitch.

I commented on fuel capacity in the post I just put up. I'd really love some kind of retractable/foldable mirrors since I have limited width in my garage. I do have the locking differential.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    I'm pulling a 2021 Reflections 150 series 295RL with my new 2020 F150. After digging through all the numbers and various Ford documents, I concluded that the only F150 that would work was the supercrew 157" WB (6.5' bed) with the towing options and HDPP. You can't get a number of desirable options with the HDPP, so far I miss power folding mirrors. Per Ford, the 5th wheel towing capacity is 11,500 lbs, the trailer's GVWR is 10,995. The I got the 4x2, which gave me 200lbs more towing capacity. I got the 3.5 EB engine and love it: the most torque and turbo's for the high altitude west.
    We got the trailer pretty well loaded and took the rig to a CAT scale. I've got all the capacities and weight combinations in a spreadsheet and all is good. I then estimated weights for all the other things we'll load and all is still good - we'll have about 410 lbs of truck payload capacity and 800 lbs of trailer capacity.

When I first hitched up, I measured 2" of truck drop at the rear axle so I don't need airbags. It drives up hills fine but I haven't driven it up a 6% mountain grade yet. A base F150 w/o HDPP cannot handle these weights. You have to order the truck, dealers don't seem to stock units with HDPP.
    I have a 2020 F150 SuperCrew 5.5' bed with a 2.7 Ecoboost and standard springing. I have towed my 4,500 lb. pontoon boat with it, and don't like the way it handles. Ford once again undershocked the truck--for a better ride. It rides and handles like an automobile, however. The 2.7 engine doesn't lack for power, and is good for a 14.0 second quarter mile--downright fast.

If I was towing relatively heavy (for a 1/2 ton), I'd be ordering the 6.5 foot bed, the RV and Max Tow packages--which requires the 3.5 Ecoboost.

I kept my 18 year old F250 7.3 diesel to tow my RV. It stays in a member owned campground, however, and we seldom have any need to tow it anywhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12