User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Configuring a new build F150

Hello,

I own a reflection 150 series 230rl, 2018 model. I want to stay with an F150 truck, but want to know thoughts on the best options to purchase on a new build.....i.e. HDPP, etc. What engine should I get? I think the HDPP comes with a 3.73 differential already but what else should I be looking at. I do want to stick with a shortbox Lariat, 4x4.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Jeffry

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In researching the f150 specs a couple of months ago, the best towing was with the 3.5 EB with 6.5 box, HDPP is only with the XL and XLT. I also want to stay in the Lariat config but want the HDPP

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry View Post
    Hello,

I own a reflection 150 series 230rl, 2018 model. I want to stay with an F150 truck, but want to know thoughts on the best options to purchase on a new build.....i.e. HDPP, etc. What engine should I get? I think the HDPP comes with a 3.73 differential already but what else should I be looking at. I do want to stick with a shortbox Lariat, 4x4.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Jeffry
    HDDP requires a 6.5 ft bed, XL or XLT w/5.0L engine.

You can’t get it with a 5.5 ft short bed or Lariat.

Last edited by Jerryr; 06-08-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford must've changed some things on their f150's. I know at one point not very long ago you could get the 3.5 ecoboost with the lariat package, with the HDPP. It still required the supercrew cab and 6.5' bed though. I would visit an actual dealership and have them check to see if they can order one for you. Sometimes the online builder won't let you choose options online that are available with a special order. If I were going with an f150, I'd want the 3.5 ecoboost, especially if you will be towing at mid to high elevations. I'd also want the leather in the Lariat package but you could always have leather seating installed in an XLT truck. Another note, the HDPP Lariat trucks are not loaded like a normal Lariat, some things are still not available with that package, which is ridiculous in my opinion.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another note, you may be able to order a HDPP f150 with a extended cab/8' bed combo. The company that services our heavy equipment has a few of these. You could also get the HDPP with a regular cab and 8' bed, not sure this is still available though. They had like a 2800 or 3000 lb payload rating!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s a link to the official order guide https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...OrderGuide.pdf

And here’s a snapshot of the HDPP details. It looks like it is available with 3.5EB engine up to a XLT W/301a package only.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get what I have and you'll be happy.......PM me I'll fill you in.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Just get what I have and you'll be happy.......PM me I'll fill you in.
    You poked my curiosity. PMed

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pulling a 2021 Reflections 150 series 295RL with my new 2020 F150. After digging through all the numbers and various Ford documents, I concluded that the only F150 that would work was the supercrew 157" WB (6.5' bed) with the towing options and HDPP. You can't get a number of desirable options with the HDPP, so far I miss power folding mirrors. Per Ford, the 5th wheel towing capacity is 11,500 lbs, the trailer's GVWR is 10,995. The I got the 4x2, which gave me 200lbs more towing capacity. I got the 3.5 EB engine and love it: the most torque and turbo's for the high altitude west.
    We got the trailer pretty well loaded and took the rig to a CAT scale. I've got all the capacities and weight combinations in a spreadsheet and all is good. I then estimated weights for all the other things we'll load and all is still good - we'll have about 410 lbs of truck payload capacity and 800 lbs of trailer capacity.

When I first hitched up, I measured 2" of truck drop at the rear axle so I don't need airbags. It drives up hills fine but I haven't driven it up a 6% mountain grade yet. A base F150 w/o HDPP cannot handle these weights. You have to order the truck, dealers don't seem to stock units with HDPP.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    I'm pulling a 2021 Reflections 150 series 295RL with my new 2020 F150. After digging through all the numbers and various Ford documents, I concluded that the only F150 that would work was the supercrew 157" WB (6.5' bed) with the towing options and HDPP. You can't get a number of desirable options with the HDPP, so far I miss power folding mirrors. Per Ford, the 5th wheel towing capacity is 11,500 lbs, the trailer's GVWR is 10,995. The I got the 4x2, which gave me 200lbs more towing capacity. I got the 3.5 EB engine and love it: the most torque and turbo's for the high altitude west.
    We got the trailer pretty well loaded and took the rig to a CAT scale. I've got all the capacities and weight combinations in a spreadsheet and all is good. I then estimated weights for all the other things we'll load and all is still good - we'll have about 410 lbs of truck payload capacity and 800 lbs of trailer capacity.

When I first hitched up, I measured 2" of truck drop at the rear axle so I don't need airbags. It drives up hills fine but I haven't driven it up a 6% mountain grade yet. A base F150 w/o HDPP cannot handle these weights. You have to order the truck, dealers don't seem to stock units with HDPP.
    That's great, what were your numbers? Specially the pin weight.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast