Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight issues

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight issues

I have a 2019 Ford F-350 SRW with a max payload of 3371 lbs and a GVWR of 11500 lbs. my rig is a 2020 Solitude 344GK. GVWR 16800. I’ve been told here and other places that I need a dually with more payload capacity. We are newbie weekend warriors. I had my rig weighed on a Cat scale. Results were as follows: Steer Axle 4960. Drive Axle 6520. Trailer Axle 11180. Total Axle 22660.
    By my calculations i am under max weight on both tv axles and on GCVWR (28700). The only one close is GVW on the tv which is 11480, 20lbs under.
    My question is am I ok at these weights or do i really need a dually?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The limiting factor is almost always payload. Weigh your truck with everything (passengers, hitch, etc) except the 5th wheel attached. You can then calculate your pin weight to see if it exceeds your truck's payload rating. This assumes your 5th wheel is loaded for use. If not, you need to load your rig up with everything you'll have while using the 5th wheel and re-weight it.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 pounds isn’t much room. Was the rig fully loaded for travel, including propane, food, clothes, all passengers and a full tank of fuel in the truck?
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The limiting factor is almost always payload. Weigh your truck with everything (passengers, hitch, etc) except the 5th wheel attached. You can then calculate your pin weight to see if it exceeds your truck's payload rating. This assumes your 5th wheel is loaded for use. If not, you need to load your rig up with everything you'll have while using the 5th wheel and re-weight it.
    Thanks. My loaded vehicle weight was 8750 lbs. I think that indicates a pin weight of 2730lbs. The 5th wheel was loaded for a trip. We travel light. Like I said we go for 2 or 3 days. The 5th wheel weight was 13910. That shows a pin weight of about 20% which seems to be in line. Thanks again.
    Last edited by GaryinGlobe; 06-08-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    20 pounds isn’t much room. Was the rig fully loaded for travel, including propane, food, clothes, all passengers and a full tank of fuel in the truck?

Yes. Full fuel tank, propane, food, and 30 gal in fresh water tank.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    This ^^

However, my additional questions would be - how much margin on the axles, and how much on the tires themselves (important!).

If every number ends up comfortably in except payload but GVWR is right on the edge like that, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. This assumes your weigh in was as loaded for normal travel.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    This ^^

However, my additional questions would be - how much margin on the axles, and how much on the tires themselves (important!).

If every number ends up comfortably in except payload but GVWR is right on the edge like that, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. This assumes your weigh in was as loaded for normal travel.
    240 lb under on front axle. 710 lb under on rear axle. 980 lb under on tires. Weighed at start of a trip. Thanks.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryinGlobe View Post
    240 lb under on front axle. 710 lb under on rear axle. 980 lb under on tires. Weighed at start of a trip. Thanks.
    That leaves about 640 pounds for passengers and cargo. 4 people and two coolers will eat that up pretty quick. Still think you are ok, but don't have much room on payload once you put more than 2 people in there. Unless your truck weight includes people.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    That leaves about 640 pounds for passengers and cargo. 4 people and two coolers will eat that up pretty quick. Still think you are ok, but don't have much room on payload once you put more than 2 people in there. Unless your truck weight includes people.
    Thanks. Truck weight was with 2 people, full tank, and cargo. Thanks again.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you're good to go. Even if you end up 100 lbs. over I wouldn't worry about it. You're not talking about being 500-1000+ over, just right on the line.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast