User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

29G vs 353G for western Boondocking

We are looking to get a toy hauler for our family of five for use throughout Colorado and the West. We will be pulling whatever we get with our Ram 3500 that is capable of pulling either trailer in terms of payload, tire rating, RAWR, etc. We are big fans of boondocking on forest roads and BLM land in secluded spots. We are torn between the 353G (38’9” 5er) and the 29G (33’ TT). On the plus sides for the 5th wheel are clearly some additional space and ease of pulling. The downsides are height, which could cause some issues on roads with overhanging trees, and potential bed clearance issues on rough/uneven roads. The primary upsides of the TT are height (about 1.5’ shorter than the 5er), the hitch system on rough roads, resale value (more vehicles are capable to tow the TT, so there is a broader market) and cost (~$15k less).

Am I missing anything? Do you have any Thoughts that might help make the decision?
    Last edited by Rye__a; 06-09-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added tv

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! We just took possession of our 353G and will be heading to Wyoming to do some boondocking later this week. I’ll check back with you and let you know how it’s going.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Out of curiosity, what are you pulling it with?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest downside i see besides what you've already mentioned is that you can't access the main bath or bedroom on the 353 with the slides in. We have a 399 and it is the same way the 353 is with regards to the bath and bedroom. Had I thought about that I would have seriously reconsidered a different floor plan. It's not a huge deal since we can use the garage bathroom for quick stops, but on longer trips we like to do a quick overnight at truck stops and you cant deploy the slides there. We end up all cramming into the garage to sleep and it would be much better if we could use the main bedroom as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are pulling with a 2019 Ram dually. We were going to go with a SRW but got a great deal on the DRW. I’m very glad we went that direction. I’m sure a SRW would handle it fine but we had a few gusts of wind driving across west TX that made me glad we went with the DRW.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drove four days across the country with two dry camping nights, one night at a truck stop another at a Camping World. We kicked the slides out both nights with no issues. On stops along the highway we would slide the main slide out enough to get into the bathroom without any issues.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent five nights in the Medicine Bow NF near Laramie, WY in our 353. The roads were dirt but graded for the most part. The area that we camped had some low trees but they were not an issue. No concerns about bed clearance etc. Overall the trailer did great. We had a CO2 alarm go off from running our generator, but the trailer was sitting low to the ground so I assumed the exhaust from the gennie wasn’t able to dissipate. I ran into town and bought a four foot piece of 1 3/4 inch steel pipe to extend the exhaust and it fixed the problem.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlewgrsTrvls View Post
    We spent five nights in the Medicine Bow NF near Laramie, WY in our 353. The roads were dirt but graded for the most part. The area that we camped had some low trees but they were not an issue. No concerns about bed clearance etc. Overall the trailer did great. We had a CO2 alarm go off from running our generator, but the trailer was sitting low to the ground so I assumed the exhaust from the gennie wasn’t able to dissipate. I ran into town and bought a four foot piece of 1 3/4 inch steel pipe to extend the exhaust and it fixed the problem.
    We use the Venturi tube from camping world when we get Generator exhaust.
    https://www.campingworld.com/camco-g...ve-accessories
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where you staying up in Medicine Bow? I regularly do WyColo Lodge area by either of the parking lots or go down Boswell Creek Road into the Colorado side.