User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post

Found a 1 ton that I like. it's a 2017 F-350 with 18k miles. Looks to have had a 5th wheel hitch. Presumably there's no issue with that; any reason to shy away from something like this?

If it is a SRW Super Duty, I would bet it might have been someone in shoes much like yours. They purchased a truck to pull a large 5er and realized they needed a dually. Good luck!
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Judy & Larry.

Good observations, thank you.

I took two weights. Just to minimize confusion, lemme establish some weight pad names. Steer axle pad, drive axle pad, and trailer axle pad. (I'm sure everyone knows this.. but for posterity and clarity, I wanted to toss it out there.)

weight 1.
    Left camper wheels OFF the scale, and dropped the tongue on the trailer axle pad. Pulled truck up to get front tires on steer axle pad, and rear tires on drive axle pad. Truck still had the WDH and bars attached to the truck.

Weight 2.
    Fully hitched camper and connected WDH (Equalizer). Pulled up so that front tires were on steer axle pad, rear tires on drive axle pad, and camper was on trailer axle pad.

Generally, I dump all my tanks after each trip before leaving the campground. However, our last trip was a boondocking trip and I had to leave the site with full grey/black. When we got to the campground this week, I dumped before parking and setting up. I plan to dump again before we leave. We don't boondock very often, but evidently when we do, weight will be a problem with this TV. The tanks are absolutely mostly in front of the axles on the trailer.

I also forgot to mention that from the TV axle weight scale measurements, it looks like I also need to do some hitch adjustments to get another 100 or so pounds from the drive axle to the steer axle. It tows "ok", but not great.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those holding tanks!

Got a gut punch at the scales today, and realize that I need to make a change.

TV: 2019 Ram 1500 "Rebel" 4x4
    GVWR: 7100lbs
    GAWR Front: 3900
    GAWR Rear: 4100
    Payload: 1461
    GCWR: 17000 (3.92 axle)

Camper Specs: 2018 2500RL
    UVW: 5857
    tongue Weight: 581
    GVWR: 7495

Crossed the Cat scales with mostly full grey and black tanks (Empty freshwater tank). Here are my actual weights
    Unloaded Front Axle 3560
    Unloaded Rear Axle 2920
    Tongue Weight 1080

Loaded Front Axle 3400
    Loaded Rear Axle 3960
    Trailer 6780

GCWR: 14140

My observations:

1. Camper weight is ok. GVWR is 7485, I am at 6780
    2. I have the trailer towing group (class IV Hitch, 12750 max trailer, 1275 Max Tongue)
    3. My actual tongue weight is SUPER heavy at 1050lbs.. Aside from the addition of the full propane tanks and battery, I really don't have a ton of stuff in my basement, and nothing in the front bedroom other than an upgraded mattress... I guess it all adds up quick evidently. Perhaps the holding tanks are really adding to it?
    4. Total truck weight hooked to camper with Equalizer WDH connectde, not counting weight of the trailer, is 7360lbs. So I'm 260lbs over payload? I'm 185, and wife is 125lbs.

So I'm good on all my GCWR's, but over on payload by 260lbs. When I bought this truck, a camper wasn't in the plans, and when I bought the camper, I calculated everything without actual weights, and felt like I was well within spec. The scale told a different story...

I hate the thought of trading a one year old truck for another one... but looks like i'm in the market for a 3/4 ton.
    Looking at 2019 RAM 2500 with a Cummins, or 2017-19 F-250 with the 6.7 powerstroke.

From those with experience, is the diesel worth the extra expense? I get horrible mpg (9-10mpg) when towing with my current TV. I run 89 octane in it, so fuel cost will be roughly the same with the diesel. What MPG can I expect with a modern diesel? I've had 4 Ram's, the last diesel was a 2003 model. never had a ford, and am a bit shy of them. Should I be?

Finally, I can't imagine that I'd have a payload issue with Ram or Ford 3/4 Ton's? Won't be getting a fancy model. XLT or Bighorn.

Happy Camping!
    I have a 2600RB and an F150 (5.0, 3.73, 7000lb payload) so fairly similar set up to yours. I just came back from a 900 mile trip and essentially had no issues towing the trailer. We fought some pretty nasty winds across the Canadian prairies (tail wind going into Saskatchewan and headwinds going back home to Calgary). Combined fuel economy wasn't too bad at about 12 mpg (imperial) combined (I converted this from km/100km for easier reading). Truck handled it quite well only getting over 3000rpm on hills but there were white knuckle moments in crosswinds (wind is not our friend!). Kept speeds around 60 mph and it was an otherwise easy drive and the truck wasn't laboring at all.. I think your truck is probably quite capable of handling that trailer as we were considering the same model before selecting the 2600RB. I suspect you will have happier scale numbers after you empty your tanks...a lot cheaper than a new truck. Hope this helps.
    Deb and Rick
    Calgary, Canada
    2020 2600RB
    2019 F150 Lariat 5.0, 373

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a gut punch at the scales today, and realize that I need to make a change.

TV: 2019 Ram 1500 "Rebel" 4x4
    GVWR: 7100lbs
    GAWR Front: 3900
    GAWR Rear: 4100
    Payload: 1461
    GCWR: 17000 (3.92 axle)

Camper Specs: 2018 2500RL
    UVW: 5857
    tongue Weight: 581
    GVWR: 7495

Crossed the Cat scales with mostly full grey and black tanks (Empty freshwater tank). Here are my actual weights
    Unloaded Front Axle 3560
    Unloaded Rear Axle 2920
    Tongue Weight 1080

Loaded Front Axle 3400
    Loaded Rear Axle 3960
    Trailer 6780

GCWR: 14140

My observations:

1. Camper weight is ok. GVWR is 7485, I am at 6780
    2. I have the trailer towing group (class IV Hitch, 12750 max trailer, 1275 Max Tongue)
    3. My actual tongue weight is SUPER heavy at 1050lbs.. Aside from the addition of the full propane tanks and battery, I really don't have a ton of stuff in my basement, and nothing in the front bedroom other than an upgraded mattress... I guess it all adds up quick evidently. Perhaps the holding tanks are really adding to it?
    4. Total truck weight hooked to camper with Equalizer WDH connectde, not counting weight of the trailer, is 7360lbs. So I'm 260lbs over payload? I'm 185, and wife is 125lbs.

So I'm good on all my GCWR's, but over on payload by 260lbs. When I bought this truck, a camper wasn't in the plans, and when I bought the camper, I calculated everything without actual weights, and felt like I was well within spec. The scale told a different story...

I hate the thought of trading a one year old truck for another one... but looks like i'm in the market for a 3/4 ton.
    Looking at 2019 RAM 2500 with a Cummins, or 2017-19 F-250 with the 6.7 powerstroke.

From those with experience, is the diesel worth the extra expense? I get horrible mpg (9-10mpg) when towing with my current TV. I run 89 octane in it, so fuel cost will be roughly the same with the diesel. What MPG can I expect with a modern diesel? I've had 4 Ram's, the last diesel was a 2003 model. never had a ford, and am a bit shy of them. Should I be?

Finally, I can't imagine that I'd have a payload issue with Ram or Ford 3/4 Ton's? Won't be getting a fancy model. XLT or Bighorn.

Happy Camping!
    My 2400BH weight roughly the same as your 2500RL. We live in the mountains and have to tow over mtn passes to get anywhere. I'm never seeing anything below 11 mpg on my 2017 F-250 diesel but that is towing over longer grades.

While I love the ride quality of my 250, I agree with other posts in looking at a 1-ton to future-proof.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinCalgary View Post
    I have a 2600RB and an F150 (5.0, 3.73, 7000lb payload) so fairly similar set up to yours. I just came back from a 900 mile trip and essentially had no issues towing the trailer. We fought some pretty nasty winds across the Canadian prairies (tail wind going into Saskatchewan and headwinds going back home to Calgary). Combined fuel economy wasn't too bad at about 12 mpg (imperial) combined (I converted this from km/100km for easier reading). Truck handled it quite well only getting over 3000rpm on hills but there were white knuckle moments in crosswinds (wind is not our friend!). Kept speeds around 60 mph and it was an otherwise easy drive and the truck wasn't laboring at all.. I think your truck is probably quite capable of handling that trailer as we were considering the same model before selecting the 2600RB. I suspect you will have happier scale numbers after you empty your tanks...a lot cheaper than a new truck. Hope this helps.
    Hey Rick, on the east side of the Rockies. Be interested to know what your door sticker says the Payload of your truck is, if you get a chance. Not to come on like the weight police, your 2600RB with a dry tongue about 625 pounds probably is putting close to 1000 pounds on your truck when loaded for travel. We liked the 2600RB, but my Lariat with the extras on it has a payload of only 1400 pounds, so we opted for the 2150RB. By the time the “girls” and I are in the cab we have only about 800 pounds of payload left. My trailer CAT scaled at around 750 tongue weight, so I pretty much pack only air in the box.
    As you have noted, our trucks have no issue pulling the load, staying under the GCWR, it is always payload that is the limiter.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinCalgary View Post
    Your specs are close enough to the OP that you're probably in the same boat if you took your rig to the scales. Just because it "tows fine" doesn't mean that everyone is comfortable doing it.

It's definitely a typo but your payload isn't 7,000 lbs. Probably closer to 1,450 lbs of which your trailer accounts for close to 1,000 lbs. My "educated" guess is that you're close to, or over payload.

But I could be wrong... it happened... once... and I didn't like it at all.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol! My mistake...my gvwr is 7000...payload is 1720! Thanks for catching it!
    Deb and Rick
    Calgary, Canada
    2020 2600RB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still new and klutzy on this site so already failed in an earlier attempt to load a photo...sorry! Our 2019 Lariat door sticker has max payload of 1720 lbs (780 kg). We didn’t get the big sunroof though so perhaps this is part of the payload difference...I am not an expert in these things but I like the way my rig handles, except those cross winds! It is only my wife and I and an old lab so we have no problem with payload. I even loaded trailer and truck and went to a CAT scale (empty grey and black, about 1/3 white, full fuel 36 gal) and was pleased (quite relieved actually) that all of our numbers were significantly under rated capacities. The big takeaway message I get from all the reading on these sites is that there is great variability among trucks of same year and model so those door stickers are vital. Hope this helps. BTW we really liked the 2150 but since I usually work on vacation, we needed the extra seating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 432256F8-EE89-4803-BA8E-12D4F39D6FBB.jpg  
    Deb and Rick
    Calgary, Canada
    2020 2600RB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RickinCalgary - yes once the wife saw the 2600RB bath room, that did it. The 2150 is identical bath and bedroom. we do miss the dinette, but it is something you adapt to. I've never liked the Thomas Payne stuff, so in a year or two, maybe tear it out and put in euro recliners and a table.

My Lariat has the full sun roof and the B&O sound and a 400W inverter. It was a cancelled sale so the price was right and my wife loved the Ruby Red colour. I tow with an Andersen and it is remarkably stable - cross winds in the Columbia Gorge last year were kinda scary, but mountain roads are fine. The 3.5 doesn't have the downhill engine braking your V8 does, but it is what it is.
    Judy & Larry

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a 1 ton that I like. it's a 2017 F-350 with 18k miles. Looks to have had a 5th wheel hitch. Presumably there's no issue with that; any reason to shy away from something like this?
    It’s got a good service history on Carfax. 5k oil changes at dealership.

The 5th wheel prep pkg is not on the original window sticker so it’s was probably dealer installed. https://www.huntfordky.com/api/inven...7-19039f2e3747

I had one 2017 F350 CCSB Lariat Value pkg almost exactly like this towing my 337RLS. I liked it so much that I traded it in for a 2019 F-350 to get some with upgraded options like LED headlights, Adaptive Cruise, push button start etc.

The price looks a little high for a 17 Lariat Value pkg diesel. I’d shoot to knock a few thousand off. But if your trading you also need to negotiate the trade in value.

That truck will easily handle your Grand design. It probably has a payload around 3,400 lbs.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast