Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post
    Thanks Judy & Larry.

Good observations, thank you.

I took two weights. Just to minimize confusion, lemme establish some weight pad names. Steer axle pad, drive axle pad, and trailer axle pad. (I'm sure everyone knows this.. but for posterity and clarity, I wanted to toss it out there.)

weight 1.
    Left camper wheels OFF the scale, and dropped the tongue on the trailer axle pad. Pulled truck up to get front tires on steer axle pad, and rear tires on drive axle pad. Truck still had the WDH and bars attached to the truck.

Weight 2.
    Fully hitched camper and connected WDH (Equalizer). Pulled up so that front tires were on steer axle pad, rear tires on drive axle pad, and camper was on trailer axle pad.

Generally, I dump all my tanks after each trip before leaving the campground. However, our last trip was a boondocking trip and I had to leave the site with full grey/black. When we got to the campground this week, I dumped before parking and setting up. I plan to dump again before we leave. We don't boondock very often, but evidently when we do, weight will be a problem with this TV. The tanks are absolutely mostly in front of the axles on the trailer.

I also forgot to mention that from the TV axle weight scale measurements, it looks like I also need to do some hitch adjustments to get another 100 or so pounds from the drive axle to the steer axle. It tows "ok", but not great.
    A little off topic, but can you usually unhook and put the jack down on the scale with people behind you or was it not busy? I just haven't ever went to a CAT scale and want to with my new trailer and truck to get an idea of the weights and how to properly do it all.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    A little off topic, but can you usually unhook and put the jack down on the scale with people behind you or was it not busy? I just haven't ever went to a CAT scale and want to with my new trailer and truck to get an idea of the weights and how to properly do it all.
    In my experience, they’re usually not crowded. There are 2 of them right by my house, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a truck on them.
    If you download the Cat app; I think it’s called Weigh My Truck or something, you can communicate with the scale and pay. You’ll get an email with a digital weight ticket. Alternatively, you pull up, press a button and the weigh master will come over the intercom and ask for things like your company and trailer number. They seem to have to have something to put on the ticket. I always just make something up like DieselDork Co. And trailer #1.

It’s kinda weird the first time, but also quite exciting to get that weight ticket.

I believe it’s like $12.50 for the first weight and $2.00 for the second.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, they’re usually not crowded. There are 2 of them right by my house, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a truck on them.
    If you download the Cat app; I think it’s called Weigh My Truck or something, you can communicate with the scale and pay. You’ll get an email with a digital weight ticket. Alternatively, you pull up, press a button and the weigh master will come over the intercom and ask for things like your company and trailer number. They seem to have to have something to put on the ticket. I always just make something up like DieselDork Co. And trailer #1 .

It’s kinda weird the first time, but also quite exciting to get that weight ticket.

I believe it’s like $12.50 for the first weight and $2.00 for the second.
    Thanks, I know you can get tongue weight by (Total weight of the truck (front + rear axle) with trailer) - (total weight of the truck (front + rear axle) w/o trailer) = tongue weight. Copied from another member on another post.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    It’s got a good service history on Carfax. 5k oil changes at dealership.

The 5th wheel prep pkg is not on the original window sticker so it’s was probably dealer installed. https://www.huntfordky.com/api/inven...7-19039f2e3747

I had one 2017 F350 CCSB Lariat Value pkg almost exactly like this towing my 337RLS. I liked it so much that I traded it in for a 2019 F-350 to get some with upgraded options like LED headlights, Adaptive Cruise, push button start etc.

The price looks a little high for a 17 Lariat Value pkg diesel. I’d shoot to knock a few thousand off. But if your trading you also need to negotiate the trade in value.

That truck will easily handle your Grand design. It probably has a payload around 3,400 lbs.
    Thanks for posting that window sticker! I searched for it, but was unable to get fords site to bring it up. I forgot that a lot of times dealer listings would have them. I’d found it on auto trader.

I’ve also found some leftover new 2019’s. Really focusing on f-350’s, but not ruling out an F-250. Although I’m not brand loyal, I have had good luck with Ram’s. Research is showing me though that that the F-250 Super Duty’s have over 3k in payload, vs the Ram which has just over 2k. That’s impossible to ignore. No way I could sensibly buy a Ram if I went 3/4 ton.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a half ton, a HDPP 150 would handle that all day and night. 2500lb payload, 11,400 max trailer, 17,200 combined. 1 ton is great and all, but $$, insurance, registrations etc all add up. Oh and 22 mpg when not towing....

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same 2500RL 2018 but 2014 RAM 1500

Got a gut punch at the scales today, and realize that I need to make a change.

TV: 2019 Ram 1500 "Rebel" 4x4
    GVWR: 7100lbs
    GAWR Front: 3900
    GAWR Rear: 4100
    Payload: 1461
    GCWR: 17000 (3.92 axle)

Camper Specs: 2018 2500RL
    UVW: 5857
    tongue Weight: 581
    GVWR: 7495

Crossed the Cat scales with mostly full grey and black tanks (Empty freshwater tank). Here are my actual weights
    Unloaded Front Axle 3560
    Unloaded Rear Axle 2920
    Tongue Weight 1080

Loaded Front Axle 3400
    Loaded Rear Axle 3960
    Trailer 6780

GCWR: 14140

My observations:

1. Camper weight is ok. GVWR is 7485, I am at 6780
    2. I have the trailer towing group (class IV Hitch, 12750 max trailer, 1275 Max Tongue)
    3. My actual tongue weight is SUPER heavy at 1050lbs.. Aside from the addition of the full propane tanks and battery, I really don't have a ton of stuff in my basement, and nothing in the front bedroom other than an upgraded mattress... I guess it all adds up quick evidently. Perhaps the holding tanks are really adding to it?
    4. Total truck weight hooked to camper with Equalizer WDH connectde, not counting weight of the trailer, is 7360lbs. So I'm 260lbs over payload? I'm 185, and wife is 125lbs.

So I'm good on all my GCWR's, but over on payload by 260lbs. When I bought this truck, a camper wasn't in the plans, and when I bought the camper, I calculated everything without actual weights, and felt like I was well within spec. The scale told a different story...

I hate the thought of trading a one year old truck for another one... but looks like i'm in the market for a 3/4 ton.
    Looking at 2019 RAM 2500 with a Cummins, or 2017-19 F-250 with the 6.7 powerstroke.

From those with experience, is the diesel worth the extra expense? I get horrible mpg (9-10mpg) when towing with my current TV. I run 89 octane in it, so fuel cost will be roughly the same with the diesel. What MPG can I expect with a modern diesel? I've had 4 Ram's, the last diesel was a 2003 model. never had a ford, and am a bit shy of them. Should I be?

Finally, I can't imagine that I'd have a payload issue with Ram or Ford 3/4 Ton's? Won't be getting a fancy model. XLT or Bighorn.

Happy Camping!
    Diesel , i have same rig but 2014 1500 5.7 hemi ram Lone star 8 speed trans, 3.92 I added air bags in the rear coils gave me 1000lbs extra on rear. I went across scale 12280 empty tanks all the way around ready for camping the way i travel. water is heavy in those tanks at 8.3 lbs per gallon, multiply that out if you have to have water or grey for that matter take some out 31.5 gallons per side you be at your setup max. But i try to always have some buffer and not at max or riding the edge. Happy scales until i buy a new truck!!!
    chive on brother..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it hasn’t been said before, take a look at the actual tow ratings of the different trucks. I know for my truck, the 3/4 is rated higher than the 1 ton because the 1 ton weighs more. The only difference between the 2 is springs. Same axles, brakes, etc. I
    had planned on bags anyway so there was zero reason for me to get a 1 ton. Also, the 3/4 ton rides better.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a gut punch at the scales today, and realize that I need to make a change.

TV: 2019 Ram 1500 "Rebel" 4x4
    GVWR: 7100lbs
    GAWR Front: 3900
    GAWR Rear: 4100
    Payload: 1461
    GCWR: 17000 (3.92 axle)

Camper Specs: 2018 2500RL
    UVW: 5857
    tongue Weight: 581
    GVWR: 7495

Crossed the Cat scales with mostly full grey and black tanks (Empty freshwater tank). Here are my actual weights
    Unloaded Front Axle 3560
    Unloaded Rear Axle 2920
    Tongue Weight 1080

Loaded Front Axle 3400
    Loaded Rear Axle 3960
    Trailer 6780

GCWR: 14140

My observations:

1. Camper weight is ok. GVWR is 7485, I am at 6780
    2. I have the trailer towing group (class IV Hitch, 12750 max trailer, 1275 Max Tongue)
    3. My actual tongue weight is SUPER heavy at 1050lbs.. Aside from the addition of the full propane tanks and battery, I really don't have a ton of stuff in my basement, and nothing in the front bedroom other than an upgraded mattress... I guess it all adds up quick evidently. Perhaps the holding tanks are really adding to it?
    4. Total truck weight hooked to camper with Equalizer WDH connectde, not counting weight of the trailer, is 7360lbs. So I'm 260lbs over payload? I'm 185, and wife is 125lbs.

So I'm good on all my GCWR's, but over on payload by 260lbs. When I bought this truck, a camper wasn't in the plans, and when I bought the camper, I calculated everything without actual weights, and felt like I was well within spec. The scale told a different story...

I hate the thought of trading a one year old truck for another one... but looks like i'm in the market for a 3/4 ton.
    Looking at 2019 RAM 2500 with a Cummins, or 2017-19 F-250 with the 6.7 powerstroke.

From those with experience, is the diesel worth the extra expense? I get horrible mpg (9-10mpg) when towing with my current TV. I run 89 octane in it, so fuel cost will be roughly the same with the diesel. What MPG can I expect with a modern diesel? I've had 4 Ram's, the last diesel was a 2003 model. never had a ford, and am a bit shy of them. Should I be?

Finally, I can't imagine that I'd have a payload issue with Ram or Ford 3/4 Ton's? Won't be getting a fancy model. XLT or Bighorn.

Happy Camping!
    Welcome to the two truck club. Check out dodge death rattle. It's a real thing and my son has putnaboutn1500 in to solve the issue in his 3500 dodge ram. I started with a 1500 Chevy and am now in a 2500 chevy diesel and it was absolutely the best decision made. Got a 3000 imagine and you are never going to get great mileage , moving up is the thing to do. Bite the bullet and move on.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, pulling a non-GD 33-foot fifth-wheel with an F250 diesel. After several years, I finally weighed it (the CAT scale app is awesome), and I was WAAAY over useful load. Looked at the options, and finally went with a used F350 dually diesel. My mileage is 11-12 mpg, but the larger tank is nice. I use the dually as my daily driver and don't really have a problem. I wanted the 3.55 rear end, but almost all the used trucks I saw had a 3.73, so that's want I finally went with. In town mileage is worse than the F250, but on the road with our current rig (GD 337RLS), I don't notice much change. I attribute that to the F350 not downshifting as much on hills, because of the 3.73 rear axle.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 2500RL and the tongue weight from GD is not accurate, I hit the scales with my unit empty straight from the dealer and my tongue weight was around 800lbs. Had a GMC 1500 and I maxed out quickly on the Payload. Traded the 1500 for F250, it was a great decision.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast