User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500RL - I just crossed the scales and I either need more truck or less camper....

Got a gut punch at the scales today, and realize that I need to make a change.

TV: 2019 Ram 1500 "Rebel" 4x4
    GVWR: 7100lbs
    GAWR Front: 3900
    GAWR Rear: 4100
    Payload: 1461
    GCWR: 17000 (3.92 axle)

Camper Specs: 2018 2500RL
    UVW: 5857
    tongue Weight: 581
    GVWR: 7495

Crossed the Cat scales with mostly full grey and black tanks (Empty freshwater tank). Here are my actual weights
    Unloaded Front Axle 3560
    Unloaded Rear Axle 2920
    Tongue Weight 1080

Loaded Front Axle 3400
    Loaded Rear Axle 3960
    Trailer 6780

GCWR: 14140

My observations:

1. Camper weight is ok. GVWR is 7485, I am at 6780
    2. I have the trailer towing group (class IV Hitch, 12750 max trailer, 1275 Max Tongue)
    3. My actual tongue weight is SUPER heavy at 1050lbs.. Aside from the addition of the full propane tanks and battery, I really don't have a ton of stuff in my basement, and nothing in the front bedroom other than an upgraded mattress... I guess it all adds up quick evidently. Perhaps the holding tanks are really adding to it?
    4. Total truck weight hooked to camper with Equalizer WDH connectde, not counting weight of the trailer, is 7360lbs. So I'm 260lbs over payload? I'm 185, and wife is 125lbs.

So I'm good on all my GCWR's, but over on payload by 260lbs. When I bought this truck, a camper wasn't in the plans, and when I bought the camper, I calculated everything without actual weights, and felt like I was well within spec. The scale told a different story...

I hate the thought of trading a one year old truck for another one... but looks like i'm in the market for a 3/4 ton.
    Looking at 2019 RAM 2500 with a Cummins, or 2017-19 F-250 with the 6.7 powerstroke.

From those with experience, is the diesel worth the extra expense? I get horrible mpg (9-10mpg) when towing with my current TV. I run 89 octane in it, so fuel cost will be roughly the same with the diesel. What MPG can I expect with a modern diesel? I've had 4 Ram's, the last diesel was a 2003 model. never had a ford, and am a bit shy of them. Should I be?

Finally, I can't imagine that I'd have a payload issue with Ram or Ford 3/4 Ton's? Won't be getting a fancy model. XLT or Bighorn.

Happy Camping!
    Last edited by DieselDork; 06-09-2020 at 09:00 AM. Reason: grammer and readability.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are close to maxing out all your numbers. You could go gas or diesel but if diesel I would definitely spend a little more and go 1- ton. You will then have plenty of cushion to move up in trailer size in the future, we all do it eventually!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @Txfivver. If you are going to make the financial investment, and want a diesel, go with the 1-ton and don't play the de-rated, "same as" game with a 3/4-ton because they are, indeed, often payload poor. This will not be your last camper, so you could rest at ease knowing you have plenty of truck. If you like towing in comfort, 1-ton dually (see my sig) and you can have all those creature features and plenty of payload and all the torque you need!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yessir! Thanks Jeff. DRW is probably not an option at this point. I'd prefer a 1 ton over 3/4 ton for sure... just not finding many SRW's in the leftover 2019 pool or gently used pool. LOVE to have a DRW, but 2 extra tires to rotate, buy, etc... Just not sure I'm ready for that. I've never met anyone that regretted a DRW, but I'm just not quite sure I can handle it for a daily driver. Our plan at this point is to swap to a class C in 3-5 years. We all know that plans change... and who knows what will shake out 6-12 months from now. lol.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve just upgraded from a Ram 1500 to a 2500 Cummins, maybe I can help with a data point.

I got around 10 with the 1500 Hemi and previous trailer. It was a bit lighter than yours so I never had payload problems and it towed well. We upgraded for long trips where the Hemi revving wore me out. I’ve had the 2500 for 2500 miles so I mostly have early impressions from the first 8 hours of towing. We also recently got a Reflection 287rlts so I think a bit bigger than your trailer. I have yet to hit the scales, maybe this weekend.

The bigger truck is stable and tows easily as expected of a Cummins. I don’t mind the ride of the 2500 when commuting as compared to the smooth 1500. The 1500 rode a better towing but wasn’t as stable. Nbd either way.

I get about 12.5 mpg at 70ish on I-65 between Indy and Louisville so I’m pleased with that. Will be headed to Asheville this weekend so I should have more thoughts after seeing more diverse roads and hills.

If you had both black and grey tanks full that’s a substantial load, probably pushing 650 pounds and depending on the location of the tank it could adding tongue weight. I’d suggest evaluating how the trailer is loaded and weigh with empty tanks. Depending on your camping habits it may be possible to avoid towing clean or dirty water around as much as possible and make your rig functional. If you are weekending some adjustments may do the trick.

Den

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    You could go gas or diesel but if diesel I would definitely spend a little more and go 1- ton. You will then have plenty of cushion to move up in trailer size in the future, we all do it eventually!
    ^^^^^This!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob!! I know deep down you guys are right. I reckon I need to go drive one of them

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a 1 ton that I like. it's a 2017 F-350 with 18k miles. Looks to have had a 5th wheel hitch. Presumably there's no issue with that; any reason to shy away from something like this?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post
    ..any reason to shy away from something like this?
    It's like buying anything used - just do your due diligence to make sure everything checks out. The 2017 model year was the year of the redesign so the interior is much nicer than prior gens. From the marks in the bed, it looks like this truck was used for towing a 5th wheel by the previous owner.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of observations. most pickups with a payload <1500 pounds are best towing the smaller units under 6500 GVWR, no question. Lots of pulling power, not so much payload when you add the tongue weight and keep it in the sweet spot of 13% of trailer weight. 2500RL has holding tanks on or ahead of the trailer axle as it has a mid kitchen and more to the front bathroom. For most imagines (2600RB and down) about 2/3rds or more of everything in the stowage and bedroom wardrobes transfers to the coupler. With the waste tanks forward of the axles, and if you had full waste tanks, that’s over 1100 pounds, of which as much as 1/3rd, approx 300 pounds, might be transferred to the coupler.

If your truck is 6480 unloaded (assume unloaded means no trailer, but includes everything else normally in the truck), right away you are playing with only 620 pounds of allowable tongue weight before you exceed the truck GVWR of 7100 pounds.

How did you get the tongue weight? If the 1080 includes the full waste tanks, and even if 300 pounds is carried by the coupler, your tongue weight could be in the 800 pound range closer to acceptable but still more trailer than what your truck was built for.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast