User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to post in response to the OP and this is going to probably generate some angry responses but here goes...

I also have a Ram 1500 - but it's the EcoDiesel. Now according to the "official" payload figures I shouldn't carry much more than me, my wife, grandma and her walker to go with a full tank of fuel. Yet the exact same chassis in a Hemi has payload and towing numbers that are dramatically higher. Before you say "it's because the diesel weighs so much more..." the EcoDiesel is only 80 pounds heavier than the Hemi - negligible. The chassis is exactly the same between the Hemi and diesel - each has 3900 GAWR for the front, 4100 GAWR for the rear so they're both built to carry the same amount of weight.

Why the difference? According to the NHTSA J2807 tow rating/specification standard a vehicle is tested for the ability to pull, stop and maneuver a trailer while ALSO keeping oil, water and transmission fluid temperatures in a specified range. In the first generation EcoDiesels (2014 to 2018) Chrysler engineers unfortunately decided to put the diesel intercooler in front of the radiator instead of below creating a heat transfer and therefore causing the 1st Gen Ecodiesel to be rated to tow far below the Hemi because it couldn't maintain low enough coolant temps at the same weights according to the cooling portion of the J2807 specs. What does that mean in the real world? I watch my temps towing up long grades (I've never been close to temps that would trigger a de-rate by the truck's computer) and I pull my Imagine 2400BH happily between 60 to 68mph depending on conditions. I let the truck decide the speed when towing up a grade - I just keep the RPM's at 3000 or below. We just completed a 10 day trip from Northern Ohio to NW Georgia/Lookout Mountain, going up and down some long grades around the Smokies and the rig never gave me an issue and returned 12.4 mpg's over the trip's 1450 miles.

I ran across a CAT scale loaded up for the trip and here are the weights:

- Steer axle 3420
    - Drive axle 3780
    - Trailer axle 6840

Combined 14,040, tongue weight 860 or 12% - right where it should be.

Unloaded weights:

- Steer axle 3460
    - Drive axle 2920

The WDH maintained nearly all the front axle weight - the front is only 40 pounds lighter with the trailer hooked up.

According to the rating from the J2807 standard I was overweight on payload - BUT NOT BECAUSE THE CHASSIS WAS OVERLOADED. Maybe technically overweight based on the cooling system (as designed by Chrysler, not the way my truck is now after some mods) but the chassis itself is well within specs the way I set up to tow the 2400BH. The new 2nd Gen EcoDiesels are rated to tow MORE than the Hemi and the chassis and frame in the new Rams is nearly the same as the previous models.

I'm much more concerned with total weight on the axles and load my EcoDiesel in line with a similarly equipped Hemi. In the case of most 1/2 ton trucks the axles are rated somewhere around 3900 to 4200 pounds. Axles are the limiting factor - stay below the axle weights and the truck is more than capable assuming the trailer isn't excessively long or tongue weight is out of line, either too heavy or too light.

As has been pointed out in this thread, 3/4 ton trucks frequently have only marginally better payload ratings than 1/2 ton trucks even though the 3/4 tons are built on the same frames as 1 tons with the same engines, same full-floating axles and the same brakes (assuming single rear wheel configurations.) But they've been artificially de-rated fly the manufacturers for registration and tax reasons; often the only suspension difference on SRW 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is the extra helper leaf spring on the 1 ton's the rear axle.

All this to say to the OP... According to your CAT scale numbers your Ram is well-suited to pull the 2500RL, though to your point adjusting your WDH to move weight to the front axle and back to the trailer axles will help with stability and braking. Your 2500RL is very similar in length and weight to my 2400BH (though your tongue weight is somewhat higher.) Unless that trailer is moving you all over the road your Rebel is a good fit; now if you're worried about fuel mileage and high RPM's then a move to a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton diesel may be appropriate.

Again, I realize my comments may generate some pushback but this is my experience. YMMV.

Bob
    Last edited by Rovers; 06-19-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    In looking at your current set up and previous, can you give me your reasons for the switch? 42' to a 35' 5'er, and the truck switch, DRW to SRW.
    We will be getting our retirement set up soon, DRW and 42' 'er. We will be full timing. I would love to stay at 36', but as a fulltimer the extra room seems it would be huge?
    Thank you, Jim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345