User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does your shower flow/pressure give you a "residential" showering experience?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - My RV shower is awesome and just like at home!

2 10.53%
  • No - My RV shower is whimpy and drives me nuts!

17 89.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your shower flow/pressure give you a "residential" showering experience?

We are on our third Grand Design 5th wheel and all three of them have had very low water pressure/flow at the shower while on city water. Yes, we have adequate pressure (60 psi). Yes, we've tried other shower heads (e.g. Oxygenics). Yes, we've removed flow restrictors. Yes, we've removed water filters and water softeners, etc, etc, etc. Nothing has worked for us. Same problem with all three RV's while staying at every RV park/house we've visited.

My wife is really struggling getting her hair rinsed and I need to find a solution.

I just want to know if anybody here has a Grand Design RV and has a normal "residential" shower experience.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    We are on our third Grand Design 5th wheel and all three of them have had very low water pressure/flow at the shower while on city water. Yes, we have adequate pressure (60 psi). Yes, we've tried other shower heads (e.g. Oxygenics). Yes, we've removed flow restrictors. Yes, we've removed water filters and water softeners, etc, etc, etc. Nothing has worked for us. Same problem with all three RV's while staying at every RV park/house we've visited.

My wife is really struggling getting her hair rinsed and I need to find a solution.

I just want to know if anybody here has a Grand Design RV and has a normal "residential" shower experience.

I can’t respond to your poll truthfully, as written. My answer is no, but it doesn’t drive me crazy. My complaint also is getting all the soap out of really fine hair. The longer it is, the harder it is to purge the suds. I do, however, have some suggestions that may or may not help. I use less shampoo, concentrating on my scalp (pretty much ignore the ends). I get as much soap out as I can in a reasonably normal amount of time, then turn the water off, and use more conditioner than I would at home. After working that in briefly, I go on to shave and wash. The conditioner seems to help the final rinse go faster. Alternatively, there are now products out there for “washing” your hair that are non-detergent based. The commercials tout, “Never WASH your hair again!” Wenn brand comes to mind. I’m sure it’s full of coconut. You might also try using a different, thinner, clean-rinse shampoo. Finally, if desperate enough (soap left in can itch), you might try grandma’s solution-a final rinse with vinegar and warm water mixture (she didn’t care if it was distilled or cider!!!!). In this case, I’d follow with a leave-in conditioner.
    I do understand. Tried to use the OEM shower head and couldn’t get my head wet enough to apply shampoo!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but I've been camping for years and never expect it to be the same as residential.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My own personal solution for getting the soap out of my hair easier.........featuring.........the Covid cut!......

I was in need for a haircut really badly back in April and everything here was closed because of Covid-19. I told my wife that I had given thought to cutting all my hair off and shaving my head...several times over the years. I finally decided this would be the perfect time to try it out. She helped me buzz all the hair off and I bought myself a new razor that is perfect for shaving heads without ending up bleeding out when your done (Gillette SkinGuard if anyone is interested) and then proceeded to do the deed! It didn't help my looks at all (that is impossible), but I no longer worry about getting my haircut anywhere. And riding motorcycles, as we do a lot, it cuts way down on "helmet head hair" when you take the helmet off. Win-Win!
    Last edited by xrated; 06-09-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    I can’t respond to your poll truthfully, as written. My answer is no, but it doesn’t drive me crazy. My complaint also is getting all the soap out of really fine hair. The longer it is, the harder it is to purge the suds. I do, however, have some suggestions that may or may not help. I use less shampoo, concentrating on my scalp (pretty much ignore the ends). I get as much soap out as I can in a reasonably normal amount of time, then turn the water off, and use more conditioner than I would at home. After working that in briefly, I go on to shave and wash. The conditioner seems to help the final rinse go faster. Alternatively, there are now products out there for “washing” your hair that are non-detergent based. The commercials tout, “Never WASH your hair again!” Wenn brand comes to mind. I’m sure it’s full of coconut. You might also try using a different, thinner, clean-rinse shampoo. Finally, if desperate enough (soap left in can itch), you might try grandma’s solution-a final rinse with vinegar and warm water mixture (she didn’t care if it was distilled or cider!!!!). In this case, I’d follow with a leave-in conditioner.
    I do understand. Tried to use the OEM shower head and couldn’t get my head wet enough to apply shampoo!
    N
    We are the same, but I do understand the OP. The RV water lines are not built the same as our house. And they are a whole lot smaller in diameter than our home lines. Leaking water lines in an RV is a bad thing from too high of water pressure.
    Actually we have set the RV water pressure at 40 psi, after a faucet is turned on it goes down to around 30 psi while water is flowing. Its adequate for our needs. If we need to conserve - water on, wet down, water off, soap up, water on rinse and off. We tend to use less soap product when Glamping. But then again I am used to it, Go Navy!.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

So Nikki is a redhead, and the kind of redhead where you could weave her lower-back-length strands of hair and use it as a tow rope!!! Her hair is THICK and incredibly durable - crazy how it weaves into every fabric in the house too. Anyway, she has been able to make do ok with a shower head upgrade - we had the very earlier Oxygenics when it came it, but before that I was using the "Navy shower" nozzles. Last Black Friday I pickup up one of these for $6 from Amazon to use in bathing Cloverfield:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We actually now have one in our Solitude as well as guest bathroom, and Nikki finds them a fantastic improvement over the Oxygenics for rinsing her hair clean!

Your only other option is to go through your camper and install lines with ZERO flex - i.e., removal all of the vinyl hoses and replace with all PEX (GD mixes the two). The vinyl expands and robs pressure. That will help, and it will also help if you can reconfigure to have lines feeding the shower without branching off. If still a problem, then you can focus on the shower only and put in a residential shower faucet and add a booster pump.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing as you describe. But, we have switched over to the pump and taken a shower from the fresh water tank with the pump. Seems like greater pressure from the watervpump. Give it a go.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdAl View Post
    Same thing as you describe. But, we have switched over to the pump and taken a shower from the fresh water tank with the pump. Seems like greater pressure from the watervpump. Give it a go.
    We do the same thing or at least my wife does. I am fine with the shower the way it is but she requires more pressure for her hair so we have found keeping the fresh water tank full and using the pump provides adequate pressure for her.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    So Nikki is a redhead, and the kind of redhead where you could weave her lower-back-length strands of hair and use it as a tow rope!!! Her hair is THICK and incredibly durable - crazy how it weaves into every fabric in the house too. Anyway, she has been able to make do ok with a shower head upgrade - we had the very earlier Oxygenics when it came it, but before that I was using the "Navy shower" nozzles. Last Black Friday I pickup up one of these for $6 from Amazon to use in bathing Cloverfield:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We actually now have one in our Solitude as well as guest bathroom, and Nikki finds them a fantastic improvement over the Oxygenics for rinsing her hair clean!

Your only other option is to go through your camper and install lines with ZERO flex - i.e., removal all of the vinyl hoses and replace with all PEX (GD mixes the two). The vinyl expands and robs pressure. That will help, and it will also help if you can reconfigure to have lines feeding the shower without branching off. If still a problem, then you can focus on the shower only and put in a residential shower faucet and add a booster pump.
    Rob
    You are the second person in 2 days to mention the YOO.MEE High Pressure Handheld Shower Head. It's now on my list at Amazon.

I have long hair. Longer then some Ladies. I rinse my hair while siting in the shower. The Oxygenics shower head with a little gravity helps rinse my hair. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrible Low Pressure!!! Of course my home shower has multiple heads all flowing at their maximum. I even removed the restrictor screens. I love a hard stinging shower.

I've read post from some who have added a pressure expansion tank, and they say it helps to keep the water flow more consistent. I'm not sure it helps with the actual pressure however.

I run our pressure at about 55-60 psi when we're hooked up. Not all parks have that much pressure however.

Another issue it seems, is our hoses have PEX fittings but the hoses themselves are not PEX and therefore do not fit the connectors exactly. I'm not sure how big of an issue this is but some folks have had issues, and others have gone ahead and replumbed their entire trailer with real PEX. I'd love to install PEX everywhere but my plumbing skills are limited to changing a faucet/washers/cartridge and the irrigation system in my yard. I'm not ready or able to tackle the spaghetti of plastic tubing buried under the trailer. I especially don't want to have to drop the cloroplast!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast