User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Am I missing something here? You buy an RV with a fridge that won’t cool, and mod it yourself to do what it was suppose to do in the beginning! I have a Grand Design on order right now with the same 12 cubit fridge. I am going to be unhappy if a fridge don’t fridge!
    These refrigerators are used in various brands of rv's so its not specifically a Grand Design problem. In hot weather you will most likely have a cooling problem with this design. You can solve this problem by purchasing computer fans ( circa $25 ) and spending an hour of your time or spend weeks or months having your dealer tell you the refriferator is working fine. There are numerous posts on this forum addressing this problem.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Johnww;301696]These refrigerators are used in various brands of rv's so its not specifically a Grand Design problem. In hot weather you will most likely have a cooling problem with this design. You can solve this problem by purchasing computer fans ( circa $25 ) and spending an hour of your time or spend weeks or months having your dealer tell you the refriferator is working fine. There are numerous posts on this forum addressing this problem.[/

Well, that does not seem to be a “grand design”! Most people camp in warm to hot weather! Nobody would except buying a truck and when the air does not cool start modifying it saying well in this size truck the air will not cool it!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    If you do any traveling in hot weather over 85 degrees, you're going to hate this fridge at some point. I guarantee it! Look at all the threads about fan mods and people who are replacing their Dometic/Norcolds with residential fridges. There's a reason!
    Well, I guess Grand Design will hate me! I will have it back for them to make it right or give them some really bad press! And before anybody says, it is a dometic problem, it does not work that way! I was in manufacturing for 34 years, when a company decides to use a product in their process, they accept responsibility for it! You don’t buy a car and when the water pump goes out say well it is a Chinese or Mexican company fault! You will blame Ford or Gm or whoever chose to use that part, and they will warranty it!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess Grand Design will hate me! I will have it back for them to make it right or give them some really bad press! And before anybody says, it is a dometic problem, it does not work that way! I was in manufacturing for 34 years, when a company decides to use a product in their process, they accept responsibility for it! You don’t buy a car and when the water pump goes out say well it is a Chinese or Mexican company fault! You will blame Ford or Gm or whoever chose to use that part, and they will warranty it!
    Others have gone down this route. You end up with spoiled food (which Grand Design and Dometic do not reimburse for). They "fix" the fridge and it continues to have an issue. Then they finally replace the fridge and it's still an issue. In the meanwhile, your trailer is stuck at the dealer's for months. The RV service industry for the most part, is as crooked and lacking in customer service as they come. Grand Design is one of the best in the RV industry but they are not Lexus. And GD is not going to warranty the fridge. That fridge is warrantied by Dometic, and it is they who you will have to fight with.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are trying to apply good business practices to an industry ( RV ) that never existed. I believe most RV owners accept these poor practices and simply fix the problems ourselves. I'll bet you will never find an RV manufacturer that is ISO Certified.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I modded my Dometic 2862RBFX. The little fan on the back of the fridge was inadequate and loud when it came on. I pulled the fridge out and attached a second fan to the bracket which was designed for two fans. Now the fridge seems to work well at setting 3 and the two fans aren't as loud as the one fan was. Right now we're in Austin TX where it feels like 100 outside, but we have ice in the freezer. It does seems like GD could at least put two fans on the bracket to begin with. Not sure why the one fan was so loud. Probably an odd vibration that went away with the second fan?
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    I modded my Dometic 2862RBFX. The little fan on the back of the fridge was inadequate and loud when it came on. I pulled the fridge out and attached a second fan to the bracket which was designed for two fans. Now the fridge seems to work well at setting 3 and the two fans aren't as loud as the one fan was. Right now we're in Austin TX where it feels like 100 outside, but we have ice in the freezer. It does seems like GD could at least put two fans on the bracket to begin with. Not sure why the one fan was so loud. Probably an odd vibration that went away with the second fan?
    I would love to pull my fridge out to add some fans but the thing weighs 400 lbs according to folks who've moved it. No way can I do that myself. So I'm going to use the access vents in the slide and install the fans from that direction. The lone OEM fan will have to stay lonely. I can't get to it because of the metal ventl plate in the upper vent.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I would love to pull my fridge out to add some fans but the thing weighs 400 lbs according to folks who've moved it. No way can I do that myself. So I'm going to use the access vents in the slide and install the fans from that direction. The lone OEM fan will have to stay lonely. I can't get to it because of the metal ventl plate in the upper vent.
    I built a little platform on the floor in front of the fridge - 2x4s. After you back out about 6 screws, you can push/pull it out onto the platform pretty easily. Adding the fan and wiring it up is easy. Easy to test it there with a 9V battery.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I missing something here? You buy an RV with a fridge that won’t cool, and mod it yourself to do what it was suppose to do in the beginning! I have a Grand Design on order right now with the same 12 cubit fridge. I am going to be unhappy if a fridge don’t fridge!
    PT et al, It’s not just GD. I just visited to a new Airstream owner who had to put fans in his fridge ductwork. If you travel in the south or west, the fridges just won’t work as designed. I do wish GD would jump ahead of the competition and put the fans in as standard equipment.

Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    PT et al, It’s not just GD. I just visited to a new Airstream owner who had to put fans in his fridge ductwork. If you travel in the south or west, the fridges just won’t work as designed. I do wish GD would jump ahead of the competition and put the fans in as standard equipment.

Ed
    It is an OEM issue - not the fridge mfgr. It's GD that buys the computer fans and has the brackets made. What gets me is that the bracket is designed for 2 fans, but GD only puts one fan on it. WTH!! They could avoid a lot of bad press by putting a second $10 fan back there. At least that's the case with my rig.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast