User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS57 View Post
    Jeff, thanks for the link - I want to upgrade the fans on my brand new fifth wheel - But I would rather have the dealer install them under the warranty but that does not sound likely from what I have read so far so just trying to get as much detail as possible.
    The warranty on the fridge is through Dometic, not Grand Design. That's what GD and the dealer will tell you. I don't think you can hurt the fridge if you wire up your own separate fan system and install a proper fuse. I certainly wouldn't pay a dealer what they charge (and how long they take to do anything), for something you could easily do yourself. But I do understand your concern about the warranty. BTDT
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our rig goes in the shop Tuesday for some issues along with the fridge and AC problems. The fridge never got below 52, and the freezer never got cold enough either.
    The AC doesn't cool off, and air is uneven, warm spots etc.
    See what they say and if I need to push the issue.
    We have a planned trip out west in August and want it working correctly before going.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, I'm also ordering the parts. What gauge wire did you use to connect all of this together? I'm going to try and duplicate your setup as close as possible. Could you sketch out a wiring diagram for us newbies?

Thanks,
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Today I received the 120 mm radial fans. These suckers really move a lot of air. I also received the 140 mm Noctua fans but they were the PWM versions and I'm not sure my 2 wire 12v system is going to play well with a 4 wire fan that's expecting a pulse width modulation signal. I also received the thermostat but they sent the AC version instead of the DC one. So the Noctua fans and the thermostat are going back to Amazon and in a couple of days, I should have the replacements.

Here's trial fitting of the radial fan(s).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radial fan trial fit.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	28389

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major Update:

Today I installed two UTUO 120mm radial fans on the lower vent, along with a thermostat.

The UTUO fans output 42 CFM each, and draw 0.95 amps each. They were a tight fit. Note that these are quite a big larger than the fans that come with the ARP Defend kit.

I mounted them with brackets. The fan on the right, because of lack of access, was mounted with only one bracket, and then I also used double sided 3M tape to hold it in place. I used L brackets and 4mm bolts with a washer.

Name:	image0.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	955.2 KB 
ID:	28503 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	592.9 KB 
ID:	28505 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	28504

Here's what they sound like - not too loud:

I've already installed interior fridge fans. I still need to install the upper Noctua exhaust fans on the upper vent.

Name:	fridge fan.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	28506

If after all this, the fridge is still unable to keep food safe, then I'm getting a residential unit! I'm hoping all of this works. Today it's going to get up to 100 degrees. So I left the slide out (we're at home right now), and let's see what kind of temps the unit holds.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Temps here have been hitting 111F and our fridge is in the shade from noon onward (we're facing south).
    Using an IR temp gun I've seen the fridge averaging about 48F.
    For most folks, this would be the point to make drastic changes but since we're vegetarians these temps aren't really a big deal.
    I'd like to get that down 10 degrees, but our vegetables and soy milk all last about a week, just like they do in the winter.
    The freezer stays between -5 and 5F.
    We might just get a residential fridge since they take much less electricity to run.

If you post noticeable (measurable) results I may consider adding a few fans like yours.

Thanks for the info.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,
    May sound stupid but my old RV (keystone fuzion) only had the vent/access port on the bottom ( nothing on top) The new coach 2021 367ths has both - After reading posts seemingly by everyone the cooling isn't as it should. The lower vent will allow air in? the upper vent is the exhaust? so putting fans on the back side of the fridge will actually cool the fridge better? I'm pretty mechanical and can do the work but HVAC isn't my thing. I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance when it comes to the cooling of the fridge.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickday View Post
    Hi everyone,
    May sound stupid but my old RV (keystone fuzion) only had the vent/access port on the bottom ( nothing on top) The new coach 2021 367ths has both - After reading posts seemingly by everyone the cooling isn't as it should. The lower vent will allow air in? the upper vent is the exhaust? so putting fans on the back side of the fridge will actually cool the fridge better? I'm pretty mechanical and can do the work but HVAC isn't my thing. I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance when it comes to the cooling of the fridge.
    Correct. Heat rises so it will exit the top even if no fans are present. Fans just make it cool faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I duplicated Kevin's setup EXACTLY (see page 2 of this thread) and got OK results. Our last trip, with outside temps hovering around 95, the refrigerator would start at 34 in the morning and reach 41 at it's highest (hottest) point.

After we returned home, I ran the power wires up to the top vent, moved the two fans to the top vent and turned them around to blow the hot air OUT the top vent. Turned everything ON, let it run for about 30 hours and in the middle of another hot day (temp 90+), the refrigerator is showing 35. I won't know for sure until we head out next week but I think it is doing a better job with the fans in the top (exhaust) vent since it puts them right at the heat exchanger of the Dometic.
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonakin View Post
    So I duplicated Kevin's setup EXACTLY (see page 2 of this thread) and got OK results. Our last trip, with outside temps hovering around 95, the refrigerator would start at 34 in the morning and reach 41 at it's highest (hottest) point.

After we returned home, I ran the power wires up to the top vent, moved the two fans to the top vent and turned them around to blow the hot air OUT the top vent. Turned everything ON, let it run for about 30 hours and in the middle of another hot day (temp 90+), the refrigerator is showing 35. I won't know for sure until we head out next week but I think it is doing a better job with the fans in the top (exhaust) vent since it puts them right at the heat exchanger of the Dometic.
    I was thinking the same thing. I also don't think anything under 100 cfm of airflow is going to help at all.
    I would like to use about a 200 to 300 cfm fan to make sure I have plenty of movement inside there.
    This one is a bit overkill at 470 cfm but we'll see.
    The logical plan would be to "suck" the air out of that space and blow it out the top.
    I'm thinking about installing a much larger fan, like the one below.
    The blades are a full 6" across and it has shutters to keep the rain out.
    I could cut a 10" square hole in the plastic vent cover then mount it there.
    When the weather gets cooler in a month or so I'll just unplug it.
    This would strictly be a summer mod.
    I guess I could install an on/off switch on the outside, next to the vent.
    I'll post pics with whatever I come up with.

Name:	51pfq1nXBZL._AC_.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	28744

https://amzn.to/31O0Fum

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast