User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding fans to Dometic 1350 12 cu ft model

Late start to RV season this year due to Covid. I'm determined to not have food spoilage again as we did last year. To that end I want to add some computer fans to the upper and lower vent compartments.

The lower compartment looks clear enough with plenty of room. I was thinking of using some radial fans that really put out quite a bit of air. That way the air will be forced up the flue to the upper compartment. These come in all sorts of sizes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61vmuhYIPzL._AC_SL1001_.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	27142

The upper compartment OTOH is more problematic. There is a factory installed metal shield that I'm guessing acts as a flue of sorts. I measured the clearance between the vent cover and the shield and there's only 0.5" of space there. The space between the rows of vent holes is about 2.5". So I might be able to squeeze a number of small 50mm (about 2") fans up there. However these are very small fans and I'm not sure how effective they will be, even if I use 6 or more of them. You can see from the photo of the vent cover, the measuring tape sitting at that angle would not clear the metal flue.

Name:	Upper Compartment.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	27143 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vent Cover.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	27144

As to the wiring, I'm going to use a thermal sensor so the fans kick on at 80 degrees.

As far as I can tell there is no AC outlet in the lower compartment. That means I have to tap into the 12v wires of the fridge. I'm a little nervous about that as I'm not sure where to tap into the wires.

Here's the lower compartment:

Name:	Lower Compartment.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	27145

And the diagrams of the components and electrical:

Name:	Lower Compartment Equipment Diagram.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	27146

Where do I tap into the 12v electrical? The diagram shows a 12V terminal block. Can I just use that?

Red is + and White is ground?

What's the maximum load I can have on there? If I use 6 fans in the upper compartment at 0.06A each, and 2 fans in the lower compartment that draw 0.95A each, that's a total of 2.26A not including the thermal controller.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the diagram to the top left of the electrical control board you will see a black relay. There was a bare leg on mine that went hot (+12V) when the refriderator was turned on. I use that to power two 200mm fans. I ran the power supply through a fused switch so I could turn them off if they are not needed. I put the fans on the lower vent blowing into the coils.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	Fan.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	27173

Name:	switch.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	27174
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've marked the relay and the terminal block. Am I correct that the naked leg on the black relay is the positive? And the terminal block is red/white + and white - ?

So I would wire the positive to the relay and the negative to the terminal block?

Name:	Lower Compartment TERMINAL BLOCK & RELAY.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	27176

Would it be better to use the large 120mm fans on the lower compartment as you did, or would a high output radial type fan make any difference since it has a directed flow of air?

Name:	61rX37MmMOL._AC_SL1280_.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	27175

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    In the diagram to the top left of the electrical control board you will see a black relay. There was a bare leg on mine that went hot (+12V) when the refriderator was turned on. I use that to power two 200mm fans. I ran the power supply through a fused switch so I could turn them off if they are not needed. I put the fans on the lower vent blowing into the coils.

Name:	Fan.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	27173

Name:	switch.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	27174

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but please verify with a voltmeter. One of the two bare legs will go hot when the refrigerator is turned on. The metal plate that the relay is attached to is also a ground. I use a stake on eye loop connector and a micro small sheet metal screw through one of the existing holes for the ground.
    Kevin and Jennifer

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but please verify with a voltmeter. One of the two bare legs will go hot when the refrigerator is turned on. The metal plate that the relay is attached to is also a ground. I use a stake on eye loop connector and a micro small sheet metal screw through one of the existing holes for the ground.
    Great information. Thank you! I'm hoping these mods make a difference. I'm tired of having unsafe temps and spoiled food!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. I also added these fans inside the fridge. There are two now and I will be adding two more for a total of four fans. The daisy chain together. I got tired of the battery powered pieces of junk. I ran the wire out by the hinge on the left side and used a USB 3.0 extension cord to get to the plug on the side of the fridge (we have the theater couch). I will try them all for the first time in a few weeks when we go to Durango, Colorado.

Name:	Small Fan.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	27177

Name:	Inside fridge.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	27178
    Kevin and Jennifer

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. I also added these fans inside the fridge. There are two now and I will be adding two more for a total of four fans. The daisy chain together. I got tired of the battery powered pieces of junk. I ran the wire out by the hinge on the left side and used a USB 3.0 extension cord to get to the plug on the side of the fridge (we have the theater couch). I will try them all for the first time in a few weeks when we go to Durango, Colorado.

Name:	Small Fan.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	27177

Name:	Inside fridge.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	27178
    That should help somewhat. I ordered this unit from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse:
    https://rvcoolingunit.com/RM1350-4-D...-P5920372.aspx

Name:	15453889.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	27179

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    That should help somewhat. I ordered this unit from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse:
    https://rvcoolingunit.com/RM1350-4-D...-P5920372.aspx

Name:	15453889.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	27179
    I installed the Cooling Unit Warehouse model and it is great! We had problems with the fridge not holding the necessary temperature before, but now we have no problems keeping the temperature in the 30s.
    Wife is happy!
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may end up going to that type of fan system, but these were cheap to try and they are easy to move around. I just needed more air movement in that big box.
    Kevin and Jennifer

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may end up going to that type of fan system, but these were cheap to try and they are easy to move around. I just needed more air movement in that big box.
    Before I bought the Cooling Unit Warehouse unit, I had two battery-operated fans just to check out if moving the air inside the fridge would work. It did, so I went the installation route. I think you'll be fine with what you are installing.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast