Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they roughed for WD there should be one

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    353G Gray Water Tanks..Talked to GD and 353G is like your 381. Aft black tank is shared with half bath/WD. No plumbing connecting them. Could use slide valves and garden hose caps on sewer connections and with DC pump move gray water to aft tank. Or in a pinch connect the sewer hose to both sewer outlets pull gray dump valve and let gravity equalize the tanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tks
    At least gives we some idea what to deal when Boon docking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to buy a 353G soon. I'll be pulling it with a 2014 Ram 2500 short bed and I was curious if any of you guys have real life hitch weights (loaded, unloaded), the website says 2450.

Chase

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I being trying to get a chance to weight everything
    If you weigh please post results
    Tks

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseHacault View Post
    Looking to buy a 353G soon. I'll be pulling it with a 2014 Ram 2500 short bed and I was curious if any of you guys have real life hitch weights (loaded, unloaded), the website says 2450.

Chase
    We fell in love with the 353G last winter. Tow vehicle at the time was a 2016 Chevy 2500 D Max 4wd SB. The 353G was too much weight for it based on all the numbers. Traded for 2020 Silverado 3500 DMAX 4wd srw SB. Really didn't want a dually and this was within the range as far as numbers go, but the pin weight/cargo is close. We weighed as follows:

Truck passengers/full fuel = Steer axle 5080, Drive axle 3760,
    with 353 new from dealer = Steer axle 5020, Drive axle 6280, 353 axles 11060

So the pin weight would be 2520
    353 empty weight 13,580

Went to Florida from NY for the winter. I am very happy with this setup. Knowing what I know now I definitely would not have been happy with the 2500 towing it. It is a lot of trailer. I am very close to the max pin weight (3200 lbs) with the single rear wheels. I added airbags. In my opinion they are a must to get the truck back to level. Another issue I don't see much talk about is that the new trucks are so much higher. I had the pin box raised as high as possible and I am still high on the front. This is made worse by the airbags and my hitch (Hensley BD5, Reese sidewinder). I also installed comfort ride shocks on the 353. I have been rv'ing my whole life (I'm 60), I wish they would install shocks on RV's as a standard. I also feel that the 7000lb axles are too close the the load limits. In my opinion they should be 8000lb from the factory. I will be getting better tires when we hit the road in 2022.

As far as the 353G goes. It is perfect for us. We have a small motorcycle, and 2 e-bikes that fit perfect in the garage (using the bolt it on system). We added the 1/2 bath. This worked out great for guests that came to stay with us at our place in Florida. Very disappointed with the 3 season patio doors. They are not weather or bug tight. I would not order them again knowing what I know now. I would get a retractable screen. They also don't tell you that you are not supposed to leave the ramp down in rainy weather. It gets waterlogged....

Minimal problems. Small fridge stopped working. Turned out to be a tripped breaker. GFI outlet in bathroom fizzled out on day one in Florida. I replaced it. It was some cheap piece of junk. Under sink cabinet door handles were installed wrong (just got them replaced), Ordered with solar setup as we plan to be fulltimers next year and hoping it will minimize generator needs. Bathroom faucets are a joke. Mattresses are a joke. Main slide blocks front access when closed. Not really a big issue for us but discovered that they mounted the fan and furnace/AC controls on the stairwell to the front. You can't reach them when the slide is closed. I will be relocating them soon...

That's all for now. Hope it helps!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bspracķlin View Post
    Tks
    At least gives we some idea what to deal when Boon docking
    Something to keep in mind when considering holding tanks. I recall in my paperwork/manual on the 353G a warning stating do not drive with liquid in the holding tanks. They are not designed for travel and will cause damage. I also recall one of the active youtubers saying Grand design questioned their axle problem likely linked to traveling with liquid in the holding tank. I doubt any of the tanks have baffles in them to keep liquids from hitting the sides when stopping etc.

My specs on a early 2020 353g were:

Fresh = 117 gallons
    Gray = 78 Gallons
    Black 78 Gallons (each we have 2). One for the master toilet, one for the 1/2 bath (sink and toilet)

117 gallons of water is 1,171 lbs of weight sloshing around in a big flat tank.

I got a water flow meter. I am only filling the fresh water to about 15 gallons so we can wash, etc on the road. Haven’t done any long term boondocking.

I am curious to hear others take on this issue ( and I am betting this has been hashed over a zillion times...)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ms0691 View Post
    Something to keep in mind when considering holding tanks. I recall in my paperwork/manual on the 353G a warning stating do not drive with liquid in the holding tanks. They are not designed for travel and will cause damage. I also recall one of the active youtubers saying Grand design questioned their axle problem likely linked to traveling with liquid in the holding tank. I doubt any of the tanks have baffles in them to keep liquids from hitting the sides when stopping etc.

My specs on a early 2020 353g were:

Fresh = 117 gallons
    Gray = 78 Gallons
    Black 78 Gallons (each we have 2). One for the master toilet, one for the 1/2 bath (sink and toilet)

117 gallons of water is 1,171 lbs of weight sloshing around in a big flat tank.

I got a water flow meter. I am only filling the fresh water to about 15 gallons so we can wash, etc on the road. Haven’t done any long term boondocking.

I am curious to hear others take on this issue ( and I am betting this has been hashed over a zillion times...)
    First, GD does not have any 78 gallon tanks.... You have two 39 gallon tanks.

My present TT a 2010 Palomino Sabre puchased in 2009, has 42 Fresh, two 42 grey and two 42 black. We boondock 100% often for exteneded periods in remote locations. We go get more fresh water in 6 gallon jugs (20). and we do not dump until we get home. Generally 200-500 miles . Been doing this for 10 years without any issues.
    Last edited by huntindog; 07-18-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are pretty much down to the 328G and 353G. Like the 353 a lot, main issues are extra 2' and bathroom access when slides are in (we would not be getting the extra 1/2 bath). Can you confirm that the bathroom is completely inaccessible when the slide is in? Seems like that fold down counter is there to make slide room. Thanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 353G No access to BR with Slide in but if U look at Kitchen lay out compared to 320G U see a big difference so it just depends on what U like they are both Nice lay outs

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast