User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 353G, Ask Me Anything...

Hello everyone. We picked up our new 353G this past weekend and have already logged 1700 miles on it. As we were researching for our new rig, we liked the 353G but realized there was very little practical info about it since it was a new layout.

So I thought I would post an Ask Me Anything thread bout the trailer and our experience so far. We have dry camped a few nights and done some full-hookups. We’ll be boondocking in WY later this week.

As background we are a family of four that had been RVing for six years so we feel like we are fairly experienced campers. We generally camp 40-50 night’s a year, this includes at least one summer multi-week trip.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you consider the 351M? If so, what drew you to the 353?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye__a View Post
    Did you consider the 351M? If so, what drew you to the 353?
    We did consider the 351 and until the 353 came around it was the one we had decided on. A couple of things caused us to change our mind.

First our prior TT had an outdoor kitchen, something we wanted in our TH, although the 353 doesn’t have a full outdoor kitchen it did have the outdoor fridge and griddle. Coming with the griddle the TH included an LP quick connect that allows me to use my Camp Chef equipment without lugging extra propane.

Second I wanted to avoid a curbside slide if at all possible. I like to save as much curbside space as when camping at campgrounds to give us more room.

Third, we opted for the couch instead of the dinette with the 353. This allows us, a family of four, when the weather is bad to all sit and play a board game or watch TV. With the couch instead of a dinette we got a folding table we could all sit at.

Now we did lose some things going with the G-Class vs the M-Class but the above outweighed the loss for us.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlewgrsTrvls View Post
    Now we did lose some things going with the G-Class vs the M-Class but the above outweighed the loss for us.
    Thanks for the great information! What do you feel you lost that the M class offers?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye__a View Post
    Thanks for the great information! What do you feel you lost that the M class offers?
    There are a lot of differences between the M and G-Class. It really comes down to personal preference. None of the differences outweighed the layout for us. The M-Class has larger tanks than the G-Class. The M-Class also has the touch control which could be a plus and a minus. I also believe the M-Class has two fuel cells, one for the generator and one for the toy. M-Class has upgraded appliances like a microwave and convection oven where the G-Class has only a microwave.

Those are a few, there are more.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you still liking your 353G after a week boondocking? We are waiting on delivery of ours in July. We had one ready to go but it got sold out from under us @ Cousins RV in CO Springs. They're doing an amazing job making up for it.

Did you get the 3 season doors? If so, do you like them?
    What are you hauling? We're planning on just hauling dirt bikes.
    Do you have the second bath? You like it? Originally we didn't want the second bath but the rig they stole off the production line to get to us has one so we aren't complaining.

The one thing that I worry about is basement storage and garage storage, it has a little less basement than our XLR 29hfs and our 29hfs had a cabinet with hanger in the garage which worked great for our gear. Did you have any problems with storage?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still loving our 353. You mentioned storage, we’re coming from a TT so the storage is definitely different. Meaning we had to find new ways to store our stuff. It’ll take us a year to figure out exactly where things should go but I think it’ll be ok. I do plan on ordering cabinets to go in the garage from Grand Design so they match the rest of the rig. We didn’t bring any toys this trip. I maximized the front generator storage space and put all of my trailer stuff (hoses etc) in there. Most everything else was in totes (Legos for leveling, chalks etc). The basement held all my Camp Chef Kitchen ( XL three burner stove, oven and grill box). I had some odds and ins in there as well.

We do have the three season doors. They were awesome. We were backed up to a creek so being able to hang out in the garage in the evening while the mosquitoes were raging was great.

We do not have the second bath. We walked in one that had it and it just felt like it took a lot of space. And it was much smaller than other half-baths in other THs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear you are loving it. I am sure I will have similar struggles. Glad to hear the 3 season patio worked well for you. Ours got hijacked on the production line from a dealership in Dallas, is in the last week of build. But because it was originally destined for Dallas it has 3 season doors and 3 AC units. Thankfully we just haul dirt bikes so the rear 1/2 bath it comes with isn’t going to be a huge intrusion. If we had side by sides that would be a different story.

BTW, where did you go up in WY? We are regulars up there in the summer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 353G

Had 353G for about two weeks, hit the road two days after delivery.
    Overall we are VERY HAPPY with 353G, my wife really likes it and we traded in 337 Reflection.These are things I have observed,like, dislikes...
    My major dislike is 48 gal grey water tank...not enough capacity for 117 gal fresh water..my 337 had two 48 gal grey tanks which could equalize if needed.
    We did not get half bath so, to my knowledge the rear black tank is hooked to nothing? Is it sealed? If so should be able to pump grey water in it for more capacity when needed. Do you have any info on that?
    I got the SOLAR option so as to get inverter which will operate refrigerator on AC power while towing plus various other AC outlets. LIKE IT.
    My big complaint is with Grand Design...they provided NO information on solar system or operation and I called GD customer service who promised to Email me information..nothing! So if you are reading this GD customer service, you need to get your act together!
    We also got all recliner chairs no dinette...purchased small computer tables from Walmart serves great as all round individual table and folds up for storage when traveling.
    The garage is great..my son is using it as private bedroom.
    AND. I am towing with RAM 3500 Short bed with Reese Goose box and have more cab clearance than my old 337! However the hitch frame is closer to bed cover so the bed cover may need to go or modified.
    Any information on issues would be greatly appreciated...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyman View Post
    Had 353G for about two weeks, hit the road two days after delivery.
    Overall we are VERY HAPPY with 353G, my wife really likes it and we traded in 337 Reflection.These are things I have observed,like, dislikes...
    My major dislike is 48 gal grey water tank...not enough capacity for 117 gal fresh water..my 337 had two 48 gal grey tanks which could equalize if needed.
    We did not get half bath so, to my knowledge the rear black tank is hooked to nothing? Is it sealed? If so should be able to pump grey water in it for more capacity when needed. Do you have any info on that?
    I got the SOLAR option so as to get inverter which will operate refrigerator on AC power while towing plus various other AC outlets. LIKE IT.
    My big complaint is with Grand Design...they provided NO information on solar system or operation and I called GD customer service who promised to Email me information..nothing! So if you are reading this GD customer service, you need to get your act together!
    We also got all recliner chairs no dinette...purchased small computer tables from Walmart serves great as all round individual table and folds up for storage when traveling.
    The garage is great..my son is using it as private bedroom.
    AND. I am towing with RAM 3500 Short bed with Reese Goose box and have more cab clearance than my old 337! However the hitch frame is closer to bed cover so the bed cover may need to go or modified.
    Any information on issues would be greatly appreciated...
    I thought the 353G has two grey tanks, one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen totaling 104 gallons. Don't know if they can equalize. Overall, how well is the solar working for you? We ordered it on ours as well. I just didn't want to deal with installing it all myself.

Also, what year is your RAM 3500? Buddy of mine has a 2007 with a shorbox and he is wondering if he will have enough clearance with a goosebox.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast