User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    I really like this layout, and I will fit in my building with removal of the ladder and a little modification of my building, but this floor concerns me! I have ask them some more questions about it and challenged them to convince me that theirs is better than all the other failed floors of this construction on the market. I guess I will see what they say before I make my final decision. I really wanted a Grand Design after all the good things said on this site about them, but I wanted this trailer for the long haul.
    Yes - I recall your posts and the considerable due diligence you have done. Possibly you may want to consider a post here (and possibly other social media if you do those) to solicit feedback on this floor design from those GDRV owners who have had it in their RV for hopefully many months or years. There are enough folks on here who have this construction and hopefully can share the good, the concerns, any issues, etc.

Consulting dealers is another option but we know how some folks have had less than glowing dealer interactions shall we say !

Lastly, Steve @huntr70 is a long time dealer rep (Inventory Manager) and a GDRV Reflection fiver product owner. Steve is a standup guy and will share it like it is.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I emailed them, they confirmed it is made of foam and Louan! Worse yet, it is made from louan instead of plywood! If you know about materials, louan is not even to be used as a structural material! It is a single ply soft wood made for hobbies and making toys! It breaks easy and swells easy from moisture! I am very close to canceling my order with Grand Design even if I lose my deposit! I am beginning to think they are selling pyrite for gold! The more I research, the more I am feeling that their quality is only skin deep! I have looked at other trailers that seem to use better materials everywhere, from suspension to floors to cabinets! The more questions I ask, the more I find I don't like!
    Respectfully, I seriously doubt your comparisons are apples to apples in the same target price point. In general terms, industry wide across the mass-produced campers, you will find the same construction and materials with minimal differences, most of which are more marketing than anything of substance. Better materials are in the higher lines and higher price points. Just remember, the bean counters set the standards in the mass produced market, and when they do that means margin is what it is and must be competitive and thus the raws and labor to produce have to fit under it. If you want a better floor, better suspension then you're at a Solitude in the GD lineup.

Also, laune/luan is actually very, very specific and not really what is used. In the US, we adopted in our vernacular calling a lot of different laminated layered products luan, but they really aren't. For instance, underlayment for vinyl sheet good is regularly referred to as luan, but that purpose-specific product is totally different than the luan you'd pick up in the plywood aisle... Different lams, different glues, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I was unaware about that floor material. Have you called GD to confirm what the construction is? You could always switch to a Solitude or Momentum, I know mine (Momentum) is made of plywood for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree with the previous poster. The OP is looking at a travel trailer, which is probably why the difference in the flooring material. For sure you get marine grade plywood in the Solitude and Momentum along with construction upgrades however so does the jump in weight. That trailer is listed at 7900#. If the OP has the towing capability, yeah, I agree Solitude/Momentum is the way to go. Durability is why we bought our 320G. If you can swing the cost increase and can pull it with your TV, than go for a Solitude or Momentum. I came from a Sunset Trail and the build quality is night and day, however as was stated..apples and oranges. My 320G also weighs 6,000 lbs more for similar length trailer. Part of that is of course the profile at 13.5 feet and a garage, but the build components are very different.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 06-10-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    The OP is looking at a travel trailer, which is probably why the difference in the flooring material. For sure you get marine grade plywood in the Solitude and Momentum along with construction upgrades however so does the jump in weight. That trailer is listed at 7900#. If the OP has the towing capability, yeah, I agree Solitude/Momentum is the way to go. Durability is why we bought our 320G.
    Trouble is, they don't make a Solitude or Momentum trailer. I have to stay with a trailer because of my storage facility only having a 12' door.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my inventory of over 200 travel trailers, I have 1 that is a laid, trussed plywood floor.

Everything else is the same floor construction you are talking about (laminated) Keystone has been using it for years (just switched to a composite because they used a cardboard, yes, cardboard decking)

The only issue I've ever seen with a laminated floor trailer is when they use a paperboard decking (like Keystone). They tend to stress delam and really get soft if they get wet. In the 4 years of GD trailers (Imagine has been using this flooring since day 1), I've never seen a GD floor delam.

I think when you really start looking into other brands, the majority of trailers are going to use a laminated floor system.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Respectfully, I seriously doubt your comparisons are apples to apples in the same target price point. In general terms, industry wide across the mass-produced campers, you will find the same construction and materials with minimal differences, most of which are more marketing than anything of substance. Better materials are in the higher lines and higher price points. Just remember, the bean counters set the standards in the mass produced market, and when they do that means margin is what it is and must be competitive and thus the raws and labor to produce have to fit under it. If you want a better floor, better suspension then you're at a Solitude in the GD lineup.

Also, laune/luan is actually very, very specific and not really what is used. In the US, we adopted in our vernacular calling a lot of different laminated layered products luan, but they really aren't. For instance, underlayment for vinyl sheet good is regularly referred to as luan, but that purpose-specific product is totally different than the luan you'd pick up in the plywood aisle... Different lams, different glues, etc.
    Well, not sure what they are using then, the rep just told me they did not use plywood, they used luan? I realize some call many things luan/laune but real luan does not reassure me! I was just surprised that Reflection used to be Grand Design's upgrade travel trailer, but now many other builders seem to use better materials in their lesser quality trailers. We have looked at about everything built in the last few years, and to be honest many are using better materials than Grand Design, so unless they have much better manufacturing techniques, I don't see the premium in Grand Design? Some have plywood or OSB floor, better suspension such as MORryde suspension, better cabinet doors. I am not bashing Grand Design, just trying to decide where the value is best? When I looked at Grand Design fifth wheels about 3 years ago, I was much more impressed! I just fear the bean counters are bringing down one of the better trailers.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    In my inventory of over 200 travel trailers, I have 1 that is a laid, trussed plywood floor.

Everything else is the same floor construction you are talking about (laminated) Keystone has been using it for years (just switched to a composite because they used a cardboard, yes, cardboard decking)

The only issue I've ever seen with a laminated floor trailer is when they use a paperboard decking (like Keystone). They tend to stress delam and really get soft if they get wet. In the 4 years of GD trailers (Imagine has been using this flooring since day 1), I've never seen a GD floor delam.

I think when you really start looking into other brands, the majority of trailers are going to use a laminated floor system.
    I looked at Jayco Eagle, they don't, I looked at Cougar, they don't. The Forest River did, on floor and roof, I eliminated them quickly, as I knew two guys in the business, one a salesman the other a tech and both said no to the laminated roof. Have not talked to them about the floor. Swings some weight if you have been selling Imagines since day one and have seen no problems. I think Reflection just changed to this in the last year or two, did they not? If so, not much of a track record. This is what I hoped to find on here, is someone with years experience with this type floor from Grand Design to see if they hold up.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at Jayco Eagle, they don't, I looked at Cougar, they don't. The Forest River did, on floor and roof, I eliminated them quickly, as I knew two guys in the business, one a salesman the other a tech and both said no to the laminated roof. Have not talked to them about the floor. Swings some weight if you have been selling Imagines since day one and have seen no problems. I think Reflection just changed to this in the last year or two, did they not? If so, not much of a track record. This is what I hoped to find on here, is someone with years experience with this type floor from Grand Design to see if they hold up.
    I do not think you are correct with Eagle TTs... I distinctly recall reading in Jayco literature at the last RV show in Hershey that the sidewalls and floor are laminated.... I can speak with much experience on Forest Rivers having own multiple, and the answer is that it depends on what FR line you are buying from! They use different construction across them depending on price point, and also have different lamination configurations. I'm not trying to pick apart what you are saying, I am trying to get you looking at apples to apples across the mass producers because you're going to find little variation. I think Steve answered you with probably the most authority on the matter considering...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... This was intended to be our last trailer until we stop camping, which I hope to be 15 to 20 years! ...
    This post comes after quite a few other responses. No disrespect intended, but your comment above suggests a fair amount of inexperience and naivete. My advice is that you develop some more realistic expectations. Think about it -- do your expect your car to last you 20 years?

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    This post comes after quite a few other responses. No disrespect intended, but your comment above suggests a fair amount of inexperience and naivete. My advice is that you develop some more realistic expectations. Think about it -- do your expect your car to last you 20 years?

-Steve
    Well, if you call 35 years of camping and RVing, Years in the construction business, and 30 years in the auto business inexperience, I guess I have no experience! I sold a Starcraft travel trailer a few years ago that was 15 years old and looked like it just rolled off the lot! So, no I don't think it naive to think that I would get many years from an RV. I have friends that have vehicles that are over 50 years old and still on the road and sound as ever!
    Just read a post about a guy that weight 250#, his foot went through the floor of a styrofoam laminate floor of a new Jayco trailer! I have read many post from other companies with horror stories from this type of floor, I have witnessed a few, those got wet, but who wants a floor that gets spongy from getting wet a couple of times! I realize everything will rot if wet over and over, but something that comes unglued when you have a water leak is scary!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast