Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing 297RSTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdurbin View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have a payload capacity of 1650 and the unit I’m looking to buy has a dry hitch weight of under 800. I don’t plan on pulling with tanks wet, so only the passengers and cargo distribution will go towards the remaining balance. How much over the declared tongue weight do these units actually run?
    As everyone has said, they did it, but not comfortably. You will discover that towing with comfort is important.
    You can pull the trailer, but what about stopping and reacting when some idiot cuts you off or worse causes an accident.
    I pull a 2450RL with a 1500 Ram. Am waiting on the factory to restart production and I am going to the 3500 for comfort,safety and future growth.
    Hope this helps but as always do what is best for you and the family.
    Bob A.

P.S. You might do what most have done, add things to trailer or replace things like mattress which can add weight.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    As everyone has said, they did it, but not comfortably. You will discover that towing with comfort is important.
    You can pull the trailer, but what about stopping and reacting when some idiot cuts you off or worse causes an accident.
    I pull a 2450RL with a 1500 Ram. Am waiting on the factory to restart production and I am going to the 3500 for comfort,safety and future growth.
    Hope this helps but as always do what is best for you and the family.
    Bob A.

P.S. You might do what most have done, add things to trailer or replace things like mattress which can add weight.
    I don't agree with your comment for me at least that my towing experience was not comfortable. I towed my 297RSTS quite comfortably with my Tundra. When towing from Ontario Canada to Florida or Myrtle beach I could tow for 900 miles in one day before stopping for the night. Did this on multiple occasions. There is no way that I would be able to do that with an uncomfortable or white knuckle towing experience. It had lots of power, it was very stable and never worried about stopping the setup. The trailer brakes are designed to stop the trailer and the truck brakes to stop the truck. It was a very solid combination with the Reese Straightline hitch setup.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have heard both sides now it is your decision. Having pulled a smaller tt 30 feet long with a 1/2 ton , I did not find it such a great towing experience. The wind force applied to a 30 foot sail can sure move the truck around. That being said I have noticed the Turnda is stiffer in the rear than the F150; at least comparing the one I had to my brothers. The tongue weight, height and length of the 297 rsts is to much for 95% of the half tons. You could not pay me to pull this trailer with a half ton unless it was in that 5% range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have towed our 297rsts with my 2013 1/2 ton Chevy and my 2020 3/4 ton Chevy with the same Equilizer hitch and the difference is night and day. The 1/2 ton did have enough power to get the job done but it felt like the trailer pushed the truck around and really didn’t like going over 60 mph or so. The 3/4 ton just feels almost effortless in comparison where it’s just much more comfortable to drive plus with a 3554# payload I know we have enough payload capacity although I’m going to take it to a cat our next trip out.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very seriously considering buying the 297RSTS. Looking for real world experience pulling it with a half-ton. I have a 2013 F-150 with a 6.2L V8 and 3.55 axle ratio. This unit is at about 85% of my tow capacity of 9,600, and is putting me near the cap of my payload capacity AFTER bodies, beer, and baggage (with a full load; I counted everything including the bed liner). That makes me believe that I am in the clear, but I am curious how many folks pull this rig with a half-ton like mine. How does it perform? How hot does your tranny get? How do the brakes perform? Does it handle (prairie) hills well? Thanks for the help!
    I'm pulling the Imagine 2970RL...identical rig, only 1,000 lbs lighter. I'm around 1,100 lbs on the hitch with a full camping load and mostly dry tanks. My TV is a GMC 2500HD Duramax. I think you can pretty much bet on 15% of the gross weight on the hitch. Any less, and you might get sway issues.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a lot of research before buying my 297RSTS. I upgraded to a 2500 Duramax.
    The places where I think you are going to be uncomfortable are when you have to accelerate and brake. Also on rough roads you will bounce the suspension. Can you get by on a half ton sure but you are going to have some exciting braking adventures I am afraid. I would not consider going back to a half ton to pull the 297RSTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow my 297 RSTS with a 2018 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.4 Hemi 3.73 gear and would not want to use anything less for a truck! I have E4 hitch and I am VERY Happy with how my 2500 Ram tows it!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have a transmission cooler added if you don't have one now.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB5SET View Post
    I did a lot of research before buying my 297RSTS. I upgraded to a 2500 Duramax.
    The places where I think you are going to be uncomfortable are when you have to accelerate and brake. Also on rough roads you will bounce the suspension. Can you get by on a half ton sure but you are going to have some exciting braking adventures I am afraid. I would not consider going back to a half ton to pull the 297RSTS
    If the WDH with sway control is properly setup there is no bounce on the suspension. I never had any on my Tundra when I towed my 297RSTS with it. Never had any exiting braking adventures either. Some panic stops yes but truck and trailer stopped very well and straight. If you trailer brakes are set up correctly they stop the trailer and the truck brakes stop the truck. I agree that you will be at or slightly over the limit of most properly equipped 1/2 ton trucks but they are rated for it and with these trucks just like the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks you can tow what they are rated for safely. In the end it will really come down to comfort level of the person doing the towing.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very seriously considering buying the 297RSTS. Looking for real world experience pulling it with a half-ton. I have a 2013 F-150 with a 6.2L V8 and 3.55 axle ratio. This unit is at about 85% of my tow capacity of 9,600, and is putting me near the cap of my payload capacity AFTER bodies, beer, and baggage (with a full load; I counted everything including the bed liner). That makes me believe that I am in the clear, but I am curious how many folks pull this rig with a half-ton like mine. How does it perform? How hot does your tranny get? How do the brakes perform? Does it handle (prairie) hills well? Thanks for the help!
    We have a Ford F150 V8 for our Imagine 2670MK which is smaller than what you are looking at. If there is any wind we are buffeted all over, and we have all the stabilization added to our hitch. I personally would not recommend you pull that size rig with an F150. We are considering going up to an F250 deisel for safety reasons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast