User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Towing 297RSTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is that If you are even close to your max towing or hitch weight, you need a 2500 at a minimum. I know because for many years I towed a TT that was close to my max with a 1500. Sure, it worked, but between the fishtailing in winds, the road bumps, turning cruise on and off on steep hills, avoiding overdrive when the trans temp climbed, and the general feeling of heaviness, it was fatiguing at the least and downright dangerous at times. I switched to a 2500 HD diesel and it is a whole new world. No fishtailing or feelings of "being on the edge", setting and forgetting the cruise, 60-100% better highway mileage when towing, no trans temp problems when towing in Florida or other very hot states, and no more fatigue or white knuckle driving. Besides, now my wife can drive as well, something that I would never even consider with my 1500. Of course, it is each person's decision, but for me it was the right decision.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote for a 3/4 ton (or bigger).

Just returned from our first trip with our 297rsts and my F-150. (yes we bought backwards. Truck then trailer) I'm gonna take a hit I'm sure, since the F-150 will be one year old next month, but I do see an upgrade in my near future.

Our truck is a 2019 F-150, Max tow trailer package, 3.55 rear end, 20" wheels, 3.5 ecoboost, 10 speed trans. (pretty much the max capability you can have with a 150)

Drove about 65 the whole trip in Ohio and Michigan. Not many hills other than overpasses and some rollers on the country roads and it had to downshift quite a bit in my opinion. Plus, a 15-20 mph crosswind today made things a little tiny bit exciting. Average was 9 mpg for the trip. Normally 18 around town with no trailer.

Since it was our very first trip, I hit the CAT scale on the way out. Trailer was under the 10K limit but payload was a tiny bit over. (2 people, 2 big dogs) Truck is supposed to be able to handle 12,500 but payload is only like 1600 or 1800.

So the truck did its job, but I felt it struggled too much.

Since I want to do this once and only once, I'm probably going to look at an F-350 Diesel SRW so I won't worry about anything.
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trkester View Post
    One more vote for a 3/4 ton (or bigger).

Just returned from our first trip with our 297rsts and my F-150. (yes we bought backwards. Truck then trailer) I'm gonna take a hit I'm sure, since the F-150 will be one year old next month, but I do see an upgrade in my near future.

Our truck is a 2019 F-150, Max tow trailer package, 3.55 rear end, 20" wheels, 3.5 ecoboost, 10 speed trans. (pretty much the max capability you can have with a 150)

Drove about 65 the whole trip in Ohio and Michigan. Not many hills other than overpasses and some rollers on the country roads and it had to downshift quite a bit in my opinion. Plus, a 15-20 mph crosswind today made things a little tiny bit exciting. Average was 9 mpg for the trip. Normally 18 around town with no trailer.

Since it was our very first trip, I hit the CAT scale on the way out. Trailer was under the 10K limit but payload was a tiny bit over. (2 people, 2 big dogs) Truck is supposed to be able to handle 12,500 but payload is only like 1600 or 1800.

So the truck did its job, but I felt it struggled too much.

Since I want to do this once and only once, I'm probably going to look at an F-350 Diesel SRW so I won't worry about anything.
    You and I are moving in the same direction.
    We returned from a 400 mile each way trip last night in a rain storm with side winds and I have had enough
    of a truck too small for the job. In my case a Ram 1500 with all the towing goodies. 3500 for me.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123