User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing 297RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 297RSTS

I am very seriously considering buying the 297RSTS. Looking for real world experience pulling it with a half-ton. I have a 2013 F-150 with a 6.2L V8 and 3.55 axle ratio. This unit is at about 85% of my tow capacity of 9,600, and is putting me near the cap of my payload capacity AFTER bodies, beer, and baggage (with a full load; I counted everything including the bed liner). That makes me believe that I am in the clear, but I am curious how many folks pull this rig with a half-ton like mine. How does it perform? How hot does your tranny get? How do the brakes perform? Does it handle (prairie) hills well? Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled mine with a Tundra but was not at all comfortable with being overweight on payload. I was maxed out before I added ANYTHING to the truck just with the tongue weight alone. You will find that the TT has a greater tongue weight than GD states in their literature. The Tundra engine is a beast and I never had an issue with temps, brakes or being concern with downhill braking etc. The Tundra limited my options, just not enough payload.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    I pulled mine with a Tundra but was not at all comfortable with being overweight on payload. I was maxed out before I added ANYTHING to the truck just with the tongue weight alone. You will find that the TT has a greater tongue weight than GD states in their literature. The Tundra engine is a beast and I never had an issue with temps, brakes or being concern with downhill braking etc. The Tundra limited my options, just not enough payload.
    Thanks for the reply. I have a payload capacity of 1650 and the unit I’m looking to buy has a dry hitch weight of under 800. I don’t plan on pulling with tanks wet, so only the passengers and cargo distribution will go towards the remaining balance. How much over the declared tongue weight do these units actually run?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdurbin View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have a payload capacity of 1650 and the unit I’m looking to buy has a dry hitch weight of under 800. I don’t plan on pulling with tanks wet, so only the passengers and cargo distribution will go towards the remaining balance. How much over the declared tongue weight do these units actually run?
    I run mine with no tanks full, just battery, propane, and normal camping supplies, chairs, BBQ etc and I am at 1600#'s tongue weight and I think you will find, if others chime in that this is in the normal range for a 297.
    Last edited by Cahriad; 06-10-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run mine with no tanks full, just battery, propane, and normal camping supplies, chairs, BBQ etc and I am at 1600#'s tongue weight and I think you will find, if others chime in that this is in the normal range for a 297.
    1600#s on the tongue or payload (I.e. with or without pax)? Even if you had a thousand pounds in the trailer and 20% went to the hitch, that’s still only 1000#. Is their dry hitch weight accurate at all? Take the propane, batteries, and cargo off — is the 297 still around 800# on the hitch?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1600#s on the tongue or payload (I.e. with or without pax)? Even if you had a thousand pounds in the trailer and 20% went to the hitch, that’s still only 1000#. Is their dry hitch weight accurate at all? Take the propane, batteries, and cargo off — is the 297 still around 800# on the hitch?
    I have never weighed my TT unloaded. I do not have access to my CAT Scale numbers as I am on the road. The tongue weight from the factory does not include batteries and propane so those weights have to be added to their published tongue weight plus 15-20% of what ever you add to the TT so you can see how easy it is to get to 1300-1600# tongue weight really quick.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very seriously considering buying the 297RSTS. Looking for real world experience pulling it with a half-ton. I have a 2013 F-150 with a 6.2L V8 and 3.55 axle ratio. This unit is at about 85% of my tow capacity of 9,600, and is putting me near the cap of my payload capacity AFTER bodies, beer, and baggage (with a full load; I counted everything including the bed liner). That makes me believe that I am in the clear, but I am curious how many folks pull this rig with a half-ton like mine. How does it perform? How hot does your tranny get? How do the brakes perform? Does it handle (prairie) hills well? Thanks for the help!
    I too towed mine with a Tundra. It pulled great but I was also about 250 lbs over payload. I was ok with that and towed for 8000 miles before it was time to trade the Tundra. Would have bought another one too but I keep my trucks for 10 years and DW and I will likely upgrade to a 5th wheel when I retire in about 5 years or so. Like stated in previous posts it is tongue heavy. I am at about 1300 - 1400 lbs. I think with the 6.2 should be fine but by the time you load up even without water you will be at or slightly over payload as well as towing capacity. Mine loaded up weighs 9580 lbs from the scales.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the help! Glad to hear it should pull fine. Just need to decide if I want to be that close to payload.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never weighed my TT unloaded. I do not have access to my CAT Scale numbers as I am on the road. The tongue weight from the factory does not include batteries and propane so those weights have to be added to their published tongue weight plus 15-20% of what ever you add to the TT so you can see how easy it is to get to 1300-1600# tongue weight really quick.
    A good average on travel trailers...or tow behind trailers is 13%.....and usually range from around 10% to 15%. Not sure where you got the 15-20% number from, but tow behinds are almost never putting that much on the tongue. YMMV.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our camping friends pull that same unit. He too started out with a Tundra. After a few trips, he went to a 2500 HD and was glad that he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast