User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing Winegard Gateway GW-1000

Our new rig came with a Winegard 360+ which by default works as an amplified TV and radio antenna, but with the Gateway (GW-1000) it is a 4G LTE access point (with corresponding plan) and WiFi range extender.

Great says I, hook me up. Well, it arrived today. At first, it seems simple enough. Pull the plate that was installed at the factory, tap into the power leads that are already there for the antenna, hook up the mini BNC connectors and away you go.

It came with a power switch, but the directions say if a switch is already installed, you won't need it. My hope at this point was the wire they ran to the hole was on the switched side of the antenna, and everything would turn on and off with the button
    behind the TV. No such luck. It seems to be on the always hot side. I really don't want to pull the cap off the roof and go fishing, and I really don't want to install 2 switches on a single antenna.

Has anyone installed the GW-1000 gateway yet? What did you do or run into?

Jim

The wire the factory gives you. 3 antenna wires, 2 wifi, 1 4G if I understand correctly, and the DC loop that was tucked in with them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200610_173939.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	27171

I pulled the switch plate off to confirm my suspicions. Indeed, they are different wires Also, EVERY screw on RG-6 end was loose, one about ready to fall off, so at least those are tight now.

Name:	20200610_173931.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	27172
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and installed it, always hot for now. I have too many other things to get done, and we are not boondocking for a while. It looks pretty good up there, and seems to work okay so far.

Name:	20200610_193336.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	27193

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    follow-up. I am sending it back. I tried hard to use it, but in the end, the 4G radio is just quite poor.

I ran some tests, while stationary in a location, the Winegard radio with the factory roof mounted antenna vs my 4 year old Peplink BR1-mini. Exact same location, exact same SIM, I just moved the SIM between the two units. I mounted the peplink indoors behind the TV, so it really wasn't fair to the Peplink. The Peplink was still 5x faster on the 4G radio, and was much more stable. There were times the Winegard would drop the ability to send data completely. It really is a shame, because the gateway and roof antenna is a great idea. It was a clean install, looked nice, etc. Now I have 4 extra screw holes in the ceiling instead

Jim

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    follow-up. I am sending it back. I tried hard to use it, but in the end, the 4G radio is just quite poor.

I ran some tests, while stationary in a location, the Winegard radio with the factory roof mounted antenna vs my 4 year old Peplink BR1-mini. Exact same location, exact same SIM, I just moved the SIM between the two units. I mounted the peplink indoors behind the TV, so it really wasn't fair to the Peplink. The Peplink was still 5x faster on the 4G radio, and was much more stable. There were times the Winegard would drop the ability to send data completely. It really is a shame, because the gateway and roof antenna is a great idea. It was a clean install, looked nice, etc. Now I have 4 extra screw holes in the ceiling instead

Jim
    Thanks for the follow up as I had this unit in my radar.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Any tips on the DC power loop?

I went ahead and installed it, always hot for now. I have too many other things to get done, and we are not boondocking for a while. It looks pretty good up there, and seems to work okay so far.

Name:	20200610_193336.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	27193
    Hi jh.xsnrg, I also have a DC power loop behind my plastic Winegard cap in the ceiling. I already have the gateway and am trying to figure out how to install it so that I may run some speed tests as well. Would you be willing to provide any additional tips or guidance on how to use the power loop to power the gateway? Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by legmar View Post
    Hi jh.xsnrg, I also have a DC power loop behind my plastic Winegard cap in the ceiling. I already have the gateway and am trying to figure out how to install it so that I may run some speed tests as well. Would you be willing to provide any additional tips or guidance on how to use the power loop to power the gateway? Thanks so much!
    No problem. What I did was probe the wire to determine hot and ground, and then used POSI-TAPs to splice in to the 12v wiring to be the least intrusive as possible. When I removed them, you could tell where they were if you looked, but not bad at all.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our new rig came with a Winegard 360+ which by default works as an amplified TV and radio antenna, but with the Gateway (GW-1000) it is a 4G LTE access point (with corresponding plan) and WiFi range extender.

Great says I, hook me up. Well, it arrived today. At first, it seems simple enough. Pull the plate that was installed at the factory, tap into the power leads that are already there for the antenna, hook up the mini BNC connectors and away you go.

It came with a power switch, but the directions say if a switch is already installed, you won't need it. My hope at this point was the wire they ran to the hole was on the switched side of the antenna, and everything would turn on and off with the button
    behind the TV. No such luck. It seems to be on the always hot side. I really don't want to pull the cap off the roof and go fishing, and I really don't want to install 2 switches on a single antenna.

Has anyone installed the GW-1000 gateway yet? What did you do or run into?

Jim

The wire the factory gives you. 3 antenna wires, 2 wifi, 1 4G if I understand correctly, and the DC loop that was tucked in with them.

Name:	20200610_173939.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	27171

I pulled the switch plate off to confirm my suspicions. Indeed, they are different wires Also, EVERY screw on RG-6 end was loose, one about ready to fall off, so at least those are tight now.

Name:	20200610_173931.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	27172
    Hi Jim,

My 2020 Keystone Bullet came with the 360 already installed and I'm in the process of installing the Gateway in the ceiling. Unfortunately, I only see the 3 wires up there. My ceiling looks exactly like your picture. Do you find the power 12vdc power cord? If so, what does it look like. I'm afraid to make the hole bigger to find it ��

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On ours, the antenna wires and the 12v DC was on a clip on the back of the block-off plate on the ceiling. You've probably tried reaching in some already, but perhaps procure a borescope and have a good look around. A bent coat hanger or wire bent in a J might snag the DC line for you, too. Or they forget to run one there. Good luck!

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, the 3 skinny wires are taped to what looks like the tv cable wire and that was attached to the white and green wires that look like its for lighting. Ugh�� thanks anyway. I'll try and find a borescope. Honestly, I just don't even know what it should look like.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white and green are likely your 12v lines. Probe them with a multi-meter, and find out. If they are always hot, independent of the light switch, you should be good to tap into them. I wouldn't cut them.

Hope you have better luck with the gateway that I did. My Peplink is far faster and more reliable.

Jim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast