User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improving ride comfort in the truck

Just finished a 2500 mile pull over some truly awful roads and was wondering, what suspension upgrades might help improve the ride in the truck (2019 F450) pulling a 351M? I've aired all the tires for the weight on the axles (per Cat scale and tire ratings). RV has the Comfort Ride system installed, pulling with a Goosebox that's aired up correctly. On good roads, it's heaven, people always say "you don't even know it's back there" and, if you don't notice 16K 40' RV behind you, I think you probably need your DL revoked, but, on a good road, it drives very, very nicely. It's when things get rough (think, roads in the northeast) that it can be rough in the truck. Honestly, I think the ride in the RV is better than the truck (I have cameras in there, and it looks pretty stable even when the truck feels like we're going through orbital reentry). I've been looking a few options, Timbrens, airbags, Sulastic springs.. Just wondering if anyone has done any of these upgrades and has some impressions.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One dayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	landspeeder-influence.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	27180

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have a 450, but I have a 350 DRW, close enough. I have Airlift air bags and noticed a big improvement, even when driving unloaded as long as you set your pressure correctly. Only other thing could be to swap your truck shocks with something better, OEM arent always the best choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you have a gooseneck, but for what it's worth a MorRyde fifth wheel pin box helped. I have air bags and they help; it just took a few trips to find the sweet spot. (seems to be 30 PSI).

I just put some Rancho 9000XL's on and although I haven't towed with them yet, I can tell the difference. I'm still playing with the settings. 0% firm (1 in Rancho's terms) was a bit bouncy and definitely a different ride. I set them 25% firm on a ride from mid FL to Charlotte with some of a load in the truck but nothing like a 5th wheel; I liked that ride and it helped on those bridges that seem to make you porpoise a lot - it removed almost all of that. I might try them at 50% for the trip back to FL.

I won't test with the 5th wheel until July but I expect with the adjustability I can tune it for a better ride than with stock shocks.

Rough roads are called that for a reason - people find them rough. We still hit a lot of them that are not pleasant. It's like nothing can get the chucking totally out on bad roads. I've even driven for miles with one set of tires on the shoulder in TX things got so bad. (which, btw, brings up a very interesting message on the dash if you stay out your lane for a while).

So - bottom line - my vote would be air bags in your case because of their adjustability.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Air-Safe air hitch and really like it. Supposed to take out 90 to 95% of the chucking and banging. The Air Safe uses 4 air bags and 2 shocks.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously not a flippant response, but a heavy duty truck asked to due a heavy duty job is going to feel like a heavy duty truck doing a heavy duty job...

The question for you, really, is it the truck behavior or the coupled behavior? Did you traverse the same stretches at all with just the TV? There's good reason why a lot of full-time long-distance travelers prefer the MORyde independent suspension. Then, of course, there are those who step up to mini-Petes and Volvo tractors with air suspension (and seats).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've installed a several of each of these over the years, seems to ride much smoother than stock, especially unloaded.

https://kelderman.com/shop/2017-ford...air-suspension

The kelderman kits are good but I think I like these better; https://www.linkmfg.com/products/cha...ions/ultraride
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overtaxed start with the tire pressures on the truck. Ford says 90 PSI in front and 80 PSI on the rears. I run the fronts at the recommended 90 and it rides every bit as good as my 350 dually did...in the front. I run the rears at 75 PSI and it made a huge difference, especially without the trailer. The 19.5 Continentals are rated at something like 3990 pounds each at 80 SPI so you have a ton of room to spare. I may even try them at 70 psi in the rear and see how that rides. The MorRyde pinbox I just had installed seems to be smoother than the Rotoflex was as well. Tire pressures may get you where you want to be without expensive mods.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    I've installed a several of each of these over the years, seems to ride much smoother than stock, especially unloaded.

https://kelderman.com/shop/2017-ford...air-suspension

The kelderman kits are good but I think I like these better; https://www.linkmfg.com/products/cha...ions/ultraride
    I know some are died-in-the-wool with a brand but if you are going to go through all that trouble why not just get a Ram HD truck. The interior is nicer anyway.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I know some are died-in-the-wool with a brand but if you are going to go through all that trouble why not just get a Ram HD truck. The interior is nicer anyway.
    The Ram 4500 (roughly equivalent to the OP's F450) rides about the same because it's also a very heavy duty leaf sprung suspension. I've done air ride conversions on the Rams as well and they do ride a lot smoother with bags. I do agree that the upper level trims have a great interior! You can get factory air bags on the 2500 & 3500 and those seem to ride a little smoother than their leaf only sprung brothers.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast