User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DMandSC

No heat in bedroom of 2015 ST397FL

To begin, we absolutely LOVE our new 379FL! Our concern is that in the three or four weekends we were able to take it out before putting it to bed for the winter, we have run through all of the propane and then some, trying to heat the rear bedroom. The front of the RV gets roasting hot, while the rear bedroom, which is where the thermostat is, runs continuously to just try to get to 66 degrees. There is only one tiny vent back there, which seems very inefficient. For a company called Grand Design, it seems like there was no design effort at all for the heating system! The baggage compartments are nice and toasty too, but we don't live in there!

Is there anything that can be done to improve the airflow to the rear of the RV without utilizing supplemental heating appliances? The dual zone A/C units are nice if we never need heat, but the furnace just can’t heat the rear bedroom with the single 3 inch round vent that is currently there. The bedroom is just entirely too cold, while the front of the RV is stifling. It seems that the rear A/C unit should also be a heater or something. The dual zone control is essentially useless for heating, as the thermostat is based on the bedroom temperature, which struggles to maintain temperature, if it can even get to temperature, and runs continuously, while the rest of the RV cooks. We spent a lot of money on this rig and intend to go full time, once we retire, but the heating situation really concerns us, as it seems like we will be going through an extreme amount of propane, to try to heat the unit, even in mild conditions.

Are there any solutions or helpful hints, besides putting skirting around it, as was suggested by someone at the company? Not really sure how that will improve the heat arriving at the tiny bedroom vent.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. It gets cool in the mountains at night, and we simply can't afford to be filling the propane ever other day, while cooking our guests in the living room!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how or why, but mine seems warm enough. We kick thermostat back to 65 when we go to bed
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum DMandSC and congratulations on your new Solitude! Can you feel any air, cool or warm, coming from the vent? If not, maybe a kink in the vent tube.

Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Steve said- my first thought was the venting. Any possibility the hose has wiggled loose?
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

DMandSC
    Steve and Cill, we can feel air when furnace is on, had the dealer check to see if there was extra hose and there wasn't. Really no way to know if anything is kinked unless tearing every thing apart. All I know is that the amount of air getting to teh back bedroom is unacceptable, unless camping somewhere where we will never need heat!

Sandi, I guess it's possible, without tearing everything apart, who's to know. I know there is quite a lot of air coming from the living room vent, as it's right over the furnace.

DMandSC
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    I don't know how or why, but mine seems warm enough. We kick thermostat back to 65 when we go to bed
    We'd love it if our bedroom ever got to 65!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMandSC, our Solitude is being stored at General RV until we can take it to our property in march. We spent several hours in our trailer yesterday putting more things away. It was quite chilly so I turned the furnace on. I did notice not a lot of air flow out of the one vent in the bedroom, but didn't think much of it at the time. Now i have read your post it got me thinking. What if you took the vent cover off the outlet in the living room next to the theater seats. cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the vent cover to block it and re install. then run the furnace and check the outlet in the bedroom. this might get the bedroom warmer and the living room cooler, since hot air rises I would bet the living room would still be warm. I know our previous trailer (a fifth wheel toy hauler) was to warm in the bedroom most of the time being up in the front. plus you still have the fireplace up front. I am going to try this next Saturday when we visit our trailer.
    Dave and Darlene
    West Jordan Utah
    2015 Solitude 379 FL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Darlene View Post
    What if you took the vent cover off the outlet in the living room next to the theater seats. cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the vent cover to block it and re install. then run the furnace and check the outlet in the bedroom. this might get the bedroom warmer and the living room cooler, since hot air rises I would bet the living room would still be warm.
    I don't know if I would put cardboard in there as it will dry out and could eventually catch fire? In any case, you can find direct replacement registers that close. Like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3314355...lpid=82&chn=ps. That's what I did in our last trailer and it did improve the air flow at other outlets.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point Poppy, i was suggesting this as a test to see if the heat would improve in the bedroom. The replacement register is a great idea.
    Dave and Darlene
    West Jordan Utah
    2015 Solitude 379 FL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Darlene View Post
    good point Poppy, i was suggesting this as a test to see if the heat would improve in the bedroom. The replacement register is a great idea.
    A perfect test indeed Dave!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast