Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wash / wax TT

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pciarrocca View Post
    I paid for that extra coating when I bought my first TT (not GD) 8 years ago. The first several years I did not wax at all. After about three years, the fibergalss front cap began to oxidize and no matter how many times I polished and waxed, it would oxidize again in only a few months. I showed it to the dealer and they agreed to submit a claim. Long story short, I got my front cap completely repainted and seal coated at no cost to me.

Bottom line, we all know those coatings are a money maker for the dealers. Yes, they do help protect for the first few years, probably more so than trying to wax yourself. More than anything, they are an insurance policy. In my case, I came out ahead by getting the front cap repainted.

Pete
    We passed on the dealer spray-on ceramic treatment and fabric protection, which they acknowledged is mostly an insurance premium. A local car detailed clayed and ceramic sealed our exterior by hand (without the guarantee) for about 1/3 of the dealer price. We towed it straight to his detail shop on the way home. Since we’re storing indoors I’m hoping it’s a lifetime effect anyway.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often heard 'don't get wax on the decals'. Does anybody know why? Or why some people think their wax of choice is ok for decals? I always just waxed the whole thing. On my last trailer, after 15 years, half the decals cracked, half didn't. Cuz of the wax? I don't know but I have never heard of the specific reason why you keep wax off decals. You don't get told that with your car or truck decals. So why with RV's?

I think I'll give that Klasse stuff a try. Sportsdad's trailer looks pretty good and Geotex talks like he knows what he's doing.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 03-06-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard through my journey that "The older the decal, the more 'porous' the material will become" Thus, allowing more wax into the cellular structure.
    If the decal is really old, I'd personally avoid any type of wax over the top of it.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told a few years ago at the factory that some waxes have petroleum products in them which may cause the decal to shrink and or expand creating the cracking. Makes more sense to protect them early on. my first gd, 303 didn't have any issues with the decals, we had it for almost 5 years. our new one has been waxed twice now within just over a year with Mcguires, i am hoping all will be good.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123