User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple Solution to Prevent Shore Power Cord Damage....

On an enclosed trailer that I previously owned, I installed a small "J" hook on the side of the trailer and used it to hang a piece of rope on that was attached to the shore power cord, to take the strain off of the cord when it was plugged in. I really didn't want to drill into my Momentum and install a hook for the rope, so I came up with this idea.

Get a piece of 1/8" diameter rope and tie a slip knot on one end of it. Slip it over the plug of the shore power cord and slide it down the cord a foot or so. At the other end of the rope, tie a loop (a bowline that won't come loose works very well for this) that is big enough to fit over the receptacle that is mounted on the side of the trailer where the shore power cord plugs into. Slip the loop over the receptacle and push it back all the way to the wall. Then plug in your shore power cord and lock it with the locking ring. Now grab the cord and and pull up some slack and tighten the slip knot. Now you power cord is being supported and there is no strain on it anymore. A lot cheaper than the 90 degree angle connectors and probably even less strain on the power cord....Here is a pic....

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting idea, I like it.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I had to read your post one more time. That is very creative. I never thought about doing a rope for a strain relief. I always hated having the power cord sticking straight out of the side. A very poor design that puts unnecessary stress on parts that should not be stressed.

We have used this adapter and similar adapters for years to take the strain off the cord connection. As long as you keep the contact surfaces clean they work great.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	516MehYNoXL._AC_SL1334_.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	27237
    Last edited by Kevin2282; 06-12-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    Sorry, I had to read your post one more time. That is very creative. I never thought about doing a rope for a strain relief. I always hated having the power cord sticking straight out of the side. A very poor design that puts unnecessary stress on parts that should not be stressed.

We have used this adapter and similar adapters for years to take the strain off the cord connection. As long as you keep the contact surfaces clean they work great.

The whole idea with the rope being used for strain relief is that it not only take strain off of the electrical cord itself, it takes some strain off of the plug and receptacle......and as a secondary benefit, the rope is a lot cheaper and no electrical parts to fail!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm partial to the dogbone myself. When I was checking out GD trailers, one of the owners I spoke with instantly made a recommendation for the item as a must have. I have not had any issues with the 90 degree adapter. I leave it attached to the power cord all the time. I do like power cords over the older electrical box style. No more having to shove the cord into the cavity for storage. I converted my old trailer to the cord style with a retro kit. I got to use it twice and then we traded the trailer in. However, this trick also works just as well. As long as there is little to no stress on the cable it should work.

Nice work!
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    I'm partial to the dogbone myself. When I was checking out GD trailers, one of the owners I spoke with instantly made a recommendation for the item as a must have. I have not had any issues with the 90 degree adapter. I leave it attached to the power cord all the time. I do like power cords over the older electrical box style. No more having to shove the cord into the cavity for storage. I converted my old trailer to the cord style with a retro kit. I got to use it twice and then we traded the trailer in. However, this trick also works just as well. As long as there is little to no stress on the cable it should work.

Nice work!
    That same idea worked for almost 7 years on an enclosed trailer that I previously owned. The only difference is that I mounted a "J" hook on the outside of that trailer. I didn't want to drill into my Momentum, so I improvised and the result is I didn't need to drill and add a "J" hook.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    On an enclosed trailer that I previously owned, I installed a small "J" hook on the side of the trailer and used it to hang a piece of rope on that was attached to the shore power cord, to take the strain off of the cord when it was plugged in. I really didn't want to drill into my Momentum and install a hook for the rope, so I came up with this idea.

Get a piece of 1/8" diameter rope and tie a slip knot on one end of it. Slip it over the plug of the shore power cord and slide it down the cord a foot or so. At the other end of the rope, tie a loop (a bowline that won't come loose works very well for this) that is big enough to fit over the receptacle that is mounted on the side of the trailer where the shore power cord plugs into. Slip the loop over the receptacle and push it back all the way to the wall. Then plug in your shore power cord and lock it with the locking ring. Now grab the cord and and pull up some slack and tighten the slip knot. Now you power cord is being supported and there is no strain on it anymore. A lot cheaper than the 90 degree angle connectors and probably even less strain on the power cord....Here is a pic....

Thanks for sharing. I like your idea and will use it.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome...glad to have helped!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You're welcome...glad to have helped!
    I like your idea. Did not have this issue with my old RV the connector was 90°. I don't get the industry sometimes and recognized this as being an issue over time. I love your solution as it eliminates one problem I encountered at a park on an unexpected below freezing night using two electric heaters and I was 50ft from the shore power. Yup you guessed it, RV side ok, shore power side o.k., but the two wire connection essentially melted into each other. Moral of my story, the least amount of connections you have from RV to shore power, the less resistance you impart on the whole system. I don't know if rain was a factor but the previous two days were torrential downpours even though I usually make sure the connection is off the ground and never sitting in water.

Good idea and did use a similar method with new RV. Cheers.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post

This is what we use. Works GREAT!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast