User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 towing 5th wheel

We are in the process of buying our first RV thinking about purchasing Grand Design Reflection model no 268BH. Which the dealership states is towable with our 2017 F150 ec0 boost 2.7 liter engine max towing 9000 lbs Although it might tow it I think it would put serve strain on truck. My question is would it tow with newer 2020 F150 with 13,000 lbs towing capcity. Or should move up to F250?

My next question is buying 5th wheel or travel trailer for our first RV. We like the travel trailer due to all the features that are included in the price, plus it keeps our pickup bed free no hitch in the back. I heard travel trailers so not tow as well as 5th wheel.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally for safety purposes mainly stopping power and climbing mountains, going to a 250 would be a good decision, especially if you ever go to bigger rig in future., in your current vehicle you would likely strain your tranny and brakes . A lot of people say it can pull it, But can it sustain handling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome to the forum. Good on you asking questions before committing to anything. Careful what the dealer says is ok for your truck, some could care less and will tell you what you want to hear to get that sale. If your looking into upgrading trucks and want an F150, get one with the heavy duty payload package, this is not the same as max tow. If you are looking at a 250 for the extra payload, might as well consider a 350, they ride about the same unloaded, but will give you almost an extra 1000lbs payload for minimal price difference. Then there is gas or diesel choice, gas will give you more payload due to the lighter engine. Gas or diesel is a whole discussion in itself. TT or 5th wheel also has its differences. 5th wheel will give you better stability, more storage, higher inside space. TT is good for towing in tighter areas since the wheels of trailer follow the truck wheels, it's easier to backup if you dont have much trailer experience. I would recommend you goto a dealer and sit in the trailers you like for awhile, walk around, simulate as much as possible (bathroom, shower, cooking, etc). Once you pick a trailer you can have a better idea if a new truck or which truck you should use. One other note, no one who buys their first RV keeps it, they always say buy your 3rd RV first. I only say that because if you end up buying a bigger truck, you do not want to have to do that again, bigger is better, but just enough can make you end up buying another truck. My truck is too much for this RV said no one I've ever met.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 06-12-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks quick reply I will be upgrading my truck, we already been to a dealer and walk around in several Rv. I forgot to mention that I am 6'7 thats one reason for 5th wheel more ceiling Height. . By the way why Grand Design over other brands of RVs?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality trailer for the money !! They stand behind their product and they have great customer service especially for new owners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more question why do they stated in there flyer that the Grand Dynasty relation 5th wheels can be towed F150 or other similiar models. When everything I research states yes you cann tow a 5th wheel with F150 but not recommended. An example 5th whell we are looking at has 7900 gross weight add 2000 lbs of items and your at 10,000 lbs. The tongue weight 1,400 add 20% of the total gross traiker trailer and my payload is around 3000 lbs. Which exceeds the total payload and towing weight of my 2017 F150 2.7 eco boost engine. The desler states there trailer F150 towable. I would really like to know how many owners tow these 5th sheels with F150.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The f150 tow capacity and payload ranges from the different models and how its equipped. Tow range is from 5000 lbs up to 13600 I believe. Payload is from 1000 lbs up to 3000 maybe even 3300. Trim line, engine, wheelbase, gear, box length, hdpp, hdttp, tow package...... all play a role. But even if I could with my f150 I wouldnt. I personally dont like being close to max capacity. TT dealers are not truck experts and have no clue how your TV is setup. Trust no one. Not even GD with their advertise dry weight. Do a search for my name on here. I posted my scale numbers after picking up our 22mle last week.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Imagine 2650 that I was towing with a 3.5 EcoBoost F150. Upgrading to "E" tires helped with stability but it never felt good towing. I could have spec'd out a new F150 but opted for a gas F250.
    I wouldn't try to tow much with a 2.7. Just sayin'.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knipper64,

I need a few more members in my 3rd tow vehicle club, so stay with the 1500. We purchased a Jayco 32bhds in 2013 and towed it with a Chevy 1500 Z71, everything was fine and dandy until we got into wet weather or wind. Stopping/starting was a problem with a lot of jerking. But most scary was driving in wet weather where it felt like the front wheels were gliding above the pavement. In 2014 we traded in the 1500 for a Chevy 2500 diesel Z71 4x4. Much better towing with better gas mileage and much better stops and starts.

However travel trailers are smaller and the DW said that it made her feel "closed in" more so than 5th wheels and the DW decided that we need a 5th wheel. We looked at almost all brands and decided on a GD because of the floor plan (back bunks, fold out couch, and half bath) and the height in the living area. We pulled the 5th wheel with the 2500 for about a year and I was not disappointed we were getting very close to max weight so I was having to tell the DW that she couldn't buy this or that for the 5th wheel - not very conducive for happy camping. The dealership that my son worked at got in a 3500HD 4X4 diesel so I traded up. I did notice that the 311BHS pulled much easier, felt safer and didn't have the jerks and shakes when stopping and starting.

Fast forward ( or maybe fast backward) we took a month long trip to Utah last September pulling the 311BHS, I'm sure that the 2500 would have made it, but I'm also certain that I would have a serious case of "white knuckle" driving on some of those roads. The extra power of the 3500HD and extra payload sure helped also in every campground we stayed at nearly all of the 5th wheels were being pulled by 3500's.

My feeling is - if your are not going to be doing a lot of traveling far from home (weekend warrior) and get a travel trailer then a 1500 or 2500 will do. If you are serious in getting a 5th wheel then I think that you would not go wrong in getting a 3500. The extra payload, easier pulling, better mileage and better ride would pay off in the short term.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel