User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap Solar Panels / Starter Solar Panels / Ground Deployed Solar Panels

As I was surfing the internet recently, I came across these Cheap Solar Panels (and Solar Charge Controller).

These Solar panels are cheap enough that they could be used for a "Ground Deployed" Solar system and/or as an entry level Solar test platform. This is how I would use these panels, I would not commit to screwing these onto my roof.

I would especially recommend these Solar panels to anyone who has purchased a Lithium battery(ies) and wants to eventually add Solar panels to their coach, but needs to wait for funds to become available after having plunked down the money for Lithium batteries.

One note about a ground deployed Solar system is that they can actually produce more energy than an equivalent system mounted onto the roof of your coach. The reason they can be more efficient is because you can reposition them to follow the Sun throughout the day and you can keep shadows off of them.

If anybody decides to purchase these panels and/or the associated Charge controller, please let us know how they worked out for you.

Here is the link:

https://www.wish.com/product/5ea6b22...true&share=web

PS: I would seriously consider adding these to augment the Solar panels I have mounted on my roof because the winter Sun is at such a low angle that these could capture more Sun in a Ground Deployed arrangement.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave...
    That link is to flexible solar panels.
    I'm looking at suitcase models but I doubt a flex panel can be ground deployed ??

Michael
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    As I was surfing the internet recently, I came across these Cheap Solar Panels (and Solar Charge Controller).

These Solar panels are cheap enough that they could be used for a "Ground Deployed" Solar system and/or as an entry level Solar test platform. This is how I would use these panels, I would not commit to screwing these onto my roof.

I would especially recommend these Solar panels to anyone who has purchased a Lithium battery(ies) and wants to eventually add Solar panels to their coach, but needs to wait for funds to become available after having plunked down the money for Lithium batteries.

One note about a ground deployed Solar system is that they can actually produce more energy than an equivalent system mounted onto the roof of your coach. The reason they can be more efficient is because you can reposition them to follow the Sun throughout the day and you can keep shadows off of them.

If anybody decides to purchase these panels and/or the associated Charge controller, please let us know how they worked out for you.

Here is the link:

https://www.wish.com/product/5ea6b22...true&share=web

PS: I would seriously consider adding these to augment the Solar panels I have mounted on my roof because the winter Sun is at such a low angle that these could capture more Sun in a Ground Deployed arrangement.
    Thanks for this info. I will most likely get these ans next year a lithium batt.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post
    Hey Dave...
    That link is to flexible solar panels.
    I'm looking at suitcase models but I doubt a flex panel can be ground deployed ??

Michael
    These are not the thin-film type of flexible panels, they are probably more rigid than you think. I am pretty sure these could be deployed in a ground based system on a moveable/temporary basis. I would probably make a PVC frame to set them up against (landscape mode) and use re-usable zip ties or wire to attach them to the PVC frame. If they did turn out to be less rigid than I think, I would mount them on a piece of 1/8 inch plywood for deployment.

The biggest problem with suitcase Solar panels is their high cost. aw 600 Watts, these panels certainly beat any other type of panels on cost.

I'm not saying these are for everyone, just that these are worth considering if you are looking for a Solar test system, or a ground based system.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 06-14-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply...
    I figured a frame would be necessary and easily constructed , but you've given me some ideas about creating a more portable folding system that could easily be stored while traveling and easily deployed, even for short stays !!!
    Aha !!
    Well..onto the drawing board.

Thanks for the link.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It might be beneficial to explain to folks exactly how to connect the ground deployed solar panels to their RV using with and without the factory solar connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    It might be beneficial to explain to folks exactly how to connect the ground deployed solar panels to their RV using with and without the factory solar connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes please. I'm really new at all this and still in research mode.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Yes please. I'm really new at all this and still in research mode.

Okay, here goes...

First, it is important to understand exactly what the "Solar" connection on the camper really is. The "Furrion" Solar connection on these campers is simply a plug with two wires that lead directly to the battery, the two wires are attached to the positive and negative terminals. Essentially, this is a way to connect the external Solar panels to the battery without having to open up the cargo door and run wires directly to the battery.

Next, it is important to understand the parts of the "Solar" system and what they do...

There are two parts that comprise the Solar system, the Solar panels themselves, and the Solar charge controller. The Solar panels convert sunlight into energy (excited electrons) and the Solar charge controller converts that energy into a form (controlled voltage) that the battery can accept. Without the Solar charge controller, the uncontrolled voltage from the Solar panels would damage the battery, possibly to the point of bursting into flames.

Note: Most "Suitcase" Solar panels include a Solar charge controller, some do not and you need to supply your own Solar charge controller.

To connect the Solar panels mentioned in the post above, you will need to purchase a charge controller along, with the Solar panels (in the listing there is an option to purchase the charge controller). I would recommend purchasing the 60a charge controller with these panels ($13). When you purchase the charge controller with the panels, you also get a kit which includes two wires to connect the Solar panels to the Solar charge controller and two wires (with battery clamps) to connect the charge controller to the battery.

The installation would go like this: connect the wires to the charge controller and connect the wires to the battery and then connect the wires to the Solar panels and place them in the Sun. If you want to, you can get a "Furrion" connector (male) to replace the battery clamps which will allow you to use the "Solar" connector on your camper (see link below).

You will probably need some type of stand to keep your Solar panels pointed towards the Sun, I would recommend building a simple PVC stand that could be disassembled for transportation.

These two Solar panels should be able to charge a pair of 12 volt batteries (or 4 6v batteries) from 50% (state of charge) to full (or nearly full) on a day with good Sunshine as long as you keep the panels facing toward the sun (re-position the panels every couple of hours).

Here is the link for the Furrion connector:

https://www.amazon.com/CNLINKO-Indus...00278690&psc=1
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Okay, here goes...

First, it is important to understand exactly what the "Solar" connection on the camper really is. The "Furrion" Solar connection on these campers is simply a plug with two wires that lead directly to the battery, the two wires are attached to the positive and negative terminals. Essentially, this is a way to connect the external Solar panels to the battery without having to open up the cargo door and run wires directly to the battery.

Next, it is important to understand the parts of the "Solar" system and what they do...

There are two parts that comprise the Solar system, the Solar panels themselves, and the Solar charge controller. The Solar panels convert sunlight into energy (excited electrons) and the Solar charge controller converts that energy into a form (controlled voltage) that the battery can accept. Without the Solar charge controller, the uncontrolled voltage from the Solar panels would damage the battery, possibly to the point of bursting into flames.

Note: Most "Suitcase" Solar panels include a Solar charge controller, some do not and you need to supply your own Solar charge controller.

To connect the Solar panels mentioned in the post above, you will need to purchase a charge controller along, with the Solar panels (in the listing there is an option to purchase the charge controller). I would recommend purchasing the 60a charge controller with these panels ($13). When you purchase the charge controller with the panels, you also get a kit which includes two wires to connect the Solar panels to the Solar charge controller and two wires (with battery clamps) to connect the charge controller to the battery.

The installation would go like this: connect the wires to the charge controller and connect the wires to the battery and then connect the wires to the Solar panels and place them in the Sun. If you want to, you can get a "Furrion" connector (male) to replace the battery clamps which will allow you to use the "Solar" connector on your camper (see link below).

You will probably need some type of stand to keep your Solar panels pointed towards the Sun, I would recommend building a simple PVC stand that could be disassembled for transportation.

These two Solar panels should be able to charge a pair of 12 volt batteries (or 4 6v batteries) from 50% (state of charge) to full (or nearly full) on a day with good Sunshine as long as you keep the panels facing toward the sun (re-position the panels every couple of hours).

Here is the link for the Furrion connector:

https://www.amazon.com/CNLINKO-Indus...00278690&psc=1
    This great, thanks for taking the time to write this.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or do these prices seem a little out of the ball park?

It seems too good to be true, would love it if it wasn't.

Anyone buy and recieve the panels above as described for the price?

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast