User Tag List

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMS suggestions for DIY LiFePO4 12v

As I'm planning out my system before actually placing the order I'm stuck deciding which BMS to get.
    I've pretty much settle on 4 x EVE 280ah or EVE 304ah (if stock arrives BTT I place the order) from the Texas warehouse. Eventually going to 2 or more batteries.
    My goal is to eventually have the Vicron Multiplus 3000va but as my first step, it will be just 1 drop in replacement to my LA.
    So far, I've got my eyes on the Daly 4s 12v 250a and the Overkill (a.k.a JBD thanks for pointing that out to me @xrated in my last thread) 4s 12v 120a.
    The Overkill BMS is highly rated but I'm concerned that the 120amp wont be sufficient when the 3000va inverter comes into play.
    120a x 12v = 1440va - the PE of the inverter as oppose to Daly 250a x 12v = 3000va - PE
    The only large load that I'm seeing will be the Kurig coffee maker in the morning. Maybe the AC for a quick run when I have the proper battery bank eventually.
    I'm I over thinking this again?
    Any other BMS suggestions?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    As I'm planning out my system before actually placing the order I'm stuck deciding which BMS to get.
    I've pretty much settle on 4 x EVE 280ah or EVE 304ah (if stock arrives BTT I place the order) from the Texas warehouse. Eventually going to 2 or more batteries.
    My goal is to eventually have the Vicron Multiplus 3000va but as my first step, it will be just 1 drop in replacement to my LA.
    So far, I've got my eyes on the Daly 4s 12v 250a and the Overkill (a.k.a JBD thanks for pointing that out to me @xrated in my last thread) 4s 12v 120a.
    The Overkill BMS is highly rated but I'm concerned that the 120amp wont be sufficient when the 3000va inverter comes into play.
    120a x 12v = 1440va - the PE of the inverter as oppose to Daly 250a x 12v = 3000va - PE
    The only large load that I'm seeing will be the Kurig coffee maker in the morning. Maybe the AC for a quick run when I have the proper battery bank eventually.
    JBD also has a 200A BMS....it's fairly new and sometimes kind of hard to find. You might see if the 200A one would be adequate....or if you can even find it without ordering from China. I'm kind of surprised that Overkill doesn't show it, but the last time I looked there (a while back) they didn't.

I have a Daly, 200A Smart BMS that I plan on using, along with the Bluetooth module for it, but I have not built my battery yet, so I can't give you any yays or nays about it and how well it works or not. I will be using the app on an Android phone for the BT part of it to access, monitor, and change any settings that might need to be changed........hopefully it works well.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    JBD also has a 200A BMS....it's fairly new and sometimes kind of hard to find. You might see if the 200A one would be adequate....or if you can even find it without ordering from China. I'm kind of surprised that Overkill doesn't show it, but the last time I looked there (a while back) they didn't.

I have a Daly, 200A Smart BMS that I plan on using, along with the Bluetooth module for it, but I have not built my battery yet, so I can't give you any yays or nays about it and how well it works or not. I will be using the app on an Android phone for the BT part of it to access, monitor, and change any settings that might need to be changed........hopefully it works well.
    Thanks for the feed back. I always appreciate it specially since this is new for a lot of us. Curious though why you went with the 200a and not the 250a Daly. Thanks for pointing the 200a from JBD.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the 200 vs. the 250 because I don't have or anticipate having an inverter (high current draw device). The largest current draw on the DC side of things for me is the hydraulic pump for the slides and the leveling. I put a clamp on amp meter on mine while the pump was running and about 70 amps operating the landing gear. So even if the 12V refrigerator is running (the one I'm having done in May this year) AND I'm running a slide or landing gear at the same time, max current is only going to be around 80 to maybe 85 amps. Inverters pull a lot of current if they are supplying heavy current draw devices....A/C units, microwaves and coffee pots, etc. A 2000W inverter (not a very large one) if loaded up to close to capacity will be pulling over 150 amps from your battery...so the folks that have large inverters, definitely need a larger battery bank and higher amp BMS to be able to provide full capacity to the inverter if loaded.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like RV floorplans, there's not à 1 size fits all I guess LOL. [emoji6]. If it wasn't for my plan to go with a Multiplus 3000va then a lower BMS would possibly do. If a second battery was a definite, then that would make it easier to calculate. I'm just not sure yet if I'll need a second or not.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like RV floorplans, there's not à 1 size fits all I guess LOL. [emoji6]. If it wasn't for my plan to go with a Multiplus 3000va then a lower BMS would possibly do. If a second battery was a definite, then that would make it easier to calculate. I'm just not sure yet if I'll need a second or not.

Depending on how MUCH current you draw from your battery(s) and for how LONG with the 3000va inverter, you might be a likely candidate for a second battery. I guess only you know what your intended purpose is for it and how much activity it will see.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have personal experience with the Daly. I have the Smart 500amp unit (Bluetooth). It has been flawless since June of last year. A little quirky to learn the nuances, but it works as designed. I have the 500amp because I will have two paralled 300va Multiplus units (just waiting on solar... but STILL having problems finding someone reputable to do it in Texas). Your 250amp should be OK. I've done all sorts of testing up to about 300 amps and I can verify the temperature disconnect works, the amp draw limits works flawlessly, and all voltages seem accurate.

Full Timing Family in a 2021 Momentum 395MS-R, towed by our
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Overkill 120 amp and have been using it for almost a year. It just works. Also tested the lower temperature cutoff on a trip over Christmas, it works. Stopped charging but still allowed discharge.

120 amps would not be nearly enough for a 3000 watt inverter and a 3000 watt inverter would probably need a soft start on the air conditioner compressor. P=IV or I=P/V 3000/12= 250 amps.

I have thought about adding another set of battery cells, a big inverter and AC soft start with the intent of being able to run one AC for a few hours during no generator time in National Parks. Right now I don't think it is worth it.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells