User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linen Cabinet Shelves

I was bothered, like many, with the lack of usable space in some of the cabinets. The linen cabinet in the bathroom was no exception. It is large and deep but there was no shelves so everything was piled on top of everything else. We tried to use some stacking wire shelves but they were shallow and tended to fall over during travel.

This is what it looked like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linen 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	27295

I cut two pieces of 1/4" plywood to fit on each side of the cabinet. I could have made them taller but I cut them to fit through the doorway of the cabinet with the door installed. I later removed the door frame so I wouldn't scratch it up. I put two cleats on each piece of plywood. (one for each shelf) The cleats were glued and brad nailed to the plywood. I then stained them with some left over stain that I had.

Name:	linen 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	27294

I cut 2 pieces of wire shelving that I bought at Home Depot. It is 16" inches deep. I also purchased the little caps that go on the end of the main rods. These protected the wood and provided a nonslip surface so that the shelves wouldn't slide around. The plywood sides went into the cabinet and then each shelf was installed. This picture is with the door frame removed.

Name:	linen 3.jpg 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	27293

Here is the final assembly with the door frame reinstalled.

Name:	linen 4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	27292

The plywood sides are just floating in the cabinet. They are not fastened to the wall. I didn't want to chance catching a wire, etc.

Now we have more usable space for towels, wash cloths, etc.

John
    2017 GMC Denali 3500 Crew Cab Std Bed - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymee317 View Post
    I was bothered, like many, with the lack of usable space in some of the cabinets. The linen cabinet in the bathroom was no exception. It is large and deep but there was no shelves so everything was piled on top of everything else. We tried to use some stacking wire shelves but they were shallow and tended to fall over during travel.

I cut two pieces of 1/4" plywood to fit on each side of the cabinet. I could have made them taller but I cut them to fit through the doorway of the cabinet with the door installed. I later removed the door frame so I wouldn't scratch it up. I put two cleats on each piece of plywood. (one for each shelf) The cleats were glued and brad nailed to the plywood. I then stained them with some left over stain that I had.

I cut 2 pieces of wire shelving that I bought at Home Depot. It is 16" inches deep. I also purchased the little caps that go on the end of the main rods. These protected the wood and provided a nonslip surface so that the shelves wouldn't slide around. The plywood sides went into the cabinet and then each shelf was installed. This picture is with the door frame removed.

The plywood sides are just floating in the cabinet. They are not fastened to the wall. I didn't want to chance catching a wire, etc.

John
    Nice work, if you turn the wire shelf upside you can have a lip to hold things back.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Nice work, if you turn the wire shelf upside you can have a lip to hold things back.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I had considered that. If things are falling off then I may do that. With this design it is easy to flip them over.
    2017 GMC Denali 3500 Crew Cab Std Bed - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymee317 View Post

John

I like that. We are thinking about buying a S-Class. If we get one that is something we would do in the cabinets above the couch. They are so tall they could then hold a lot more that is accessible. If you had something taller, just take the shelf out.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old thread, but wanted to give props to Jaymee317 and share my new install of the same design. This will certainly make the closets more useful to us. The hardest part for me was cutting the sides to match the curve in the back. It's close enough. All cuts were made with a jig saw and the cleats are glued and screwed with 3/4" screws. A couple screws barely poked through and I might remove them since the glue has dried. The 1/4" wood sides and 1/2" x 2" cleats don't match the trailer wood, but I'm ok with it for this project.

Name:	cabinetshelvesleft.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	42421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinetshelvesright.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	42422
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760