User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 31MB questions

Hi. We are picking up a 2021 31MB next week. Also getting a Patriot 18K slider installed in my 2016 F350 CCSB diesel. How many batteries are people running in these? At most, we would be dry camping for 3 nights, and that not very often. We usually leave home with the fresh water tank filled. I noticed that the fresh tank is behind the axle. Anyone have experience pulling this with the fresh tank full, and nothing in the black or grey tanks? I believe the fresh water tank holds 60 gallons, so about 500 pounds. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run 2 in our 311 BHS

I’d recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At most with 3 days of dry camping, you would never need to strain your single battery. Given the change to all LED lighting in these, multiple batteries are almost obsolete. The batteries would run your lights, furnace......what else? Levelers perhaps? A radio? Do you take a generator when dry camping. I had two batteries on my last rig and i was never lower than a completely full reading on my gauge.

Also, i know you didnt ask about this, but I started running the Anderson Ultimate hitch in my last rig and then one I just brought home last friday, a GD 31MB. Best hitch ever and so easy to get my bed back when I am not pulling the trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have not installed a second battery yet. Currently out on first camping trip with the 31MB. Great trailer so far. Pulled good loaded with all of our stuff and a full tank of fresh water. Small amount of forward/backward motion a couple of times, but no chucking with the B and W 18K slider. Like the hitch, easy hook/unhook. More updates later.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back from our first trip. 5th wheel pulls much nicer than our travel trailer over rough roads and meeting semi trucks. And yes, I had the Equalizer hitch system on that and tow vehicle was the same. I stopped at a closed a DOT scale to weigh the rig, 2016 F350 Lariet diesel CCSB and GD 31MB. Truck front 5060, rear 5820. Not much in the truck but 500 lbs of people and dog and the B&W 18K slider hitch and a bike and nearly full of fuel. Front axle weight unchanged basicly from no trailer. Weight of truck with people and dog and fuel is about 8500 lbs, then add all the iron for the 5th wheel hitch. Trailer full of our stuff (no solar, generator or extra battery) and fresh water tank full. Trailer front axle 4800 lbs, rear 4360 lbs.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1967 View Post
    Back from our first trip. 5th wheel pulls much nicer than our travel trailer over rough roads and meeting semi trucks. And yes, I had the Equalizer hitch system on that and tow vehicle was the same. I stopped at a closed a DOT scale to weigh the rig, 2016 F350 Lariet diesel CCSB and GD 31MB. Truck front 5060, rear 5820. Not much in the truck but 500 lbs of people and dog and the B&W 18K slider hitch and a bike and nearly full of fuel. Front axle weight unchanged basicly from no trailer. Weight of truck with people and dog and fuel is about 8500 lbs, then add all the iron for the 5th wheel hitch. Trailer full of our stuff (no solar, generator or extra battery) and fresh water tank full. Trailer front axle 4800 lbs, rear 4360 lbs.
    That’s awesome. Glad you had a great time.

Here is what I am trying to determine from your weighing the rig. I imagine someone way smarter than I can use the weights you reported and tell me what the pin weight of the 31mb actually ended up being after your full tank of water and supplies. How can we figure that from the numbers you reported?

The dry pin weight of that 32mb is around 1850 (give or take) from what I understand. How about after water and supplies? Can that be extrapolated from your numbers?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May have answered my own question. Is about 2300 accurate for the pin weight of that trailer as loaded? Can anyone confirm?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that should be close. Assuming there's about 150 lb or so in iron with the hitch and the mounting brackets. My pin weight was probably higher coming home as most of the freshwater was empty and I had more stuff in the forward compartment, but most likely not a lot more.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gvw on my truck is 11,500 lbs, so I am good there.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that could be better is the trailer brakes. I have the gain set to 8.5, and it brakes ok, but could be better. Next time out I will set it higher. I have the built-in trailer brake controller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast