User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Techie —Custom control station for our Solitude

Here it goes, my wife isn’t too excited about my idea of modifications I want to make to our control panel. I get a kick on working with stuff like this. I want your input, should I pack it up or should I keep going?

I have most of the layout done. I still am working on the look and feel. I also haven’t put in the thermostat yet I hope to get that later this year. I am running out of I/O space.

The PLC is running good for what I have done so far. I’m going to be limited on the amount of DOs I will have until I get some expansion cards.

I hope to start installing it in late Aug or September.

https://youtu.be/s0cp-tPSQAk

This Display will control everything in the current Control panel. I figure if I'm spending $80k for a 5th wheel I need to make it a true Luxury RV. I will keep the old switches but it will also have the display as the primary function. I still dont know why RVs are using old technology. Look at most cars has touch screen displays.

Some functions I have,

SLIDES
    The slide outs are set on a timer, during the in/ out function. I do have interlocks in place for safety, you have to turn the ON function (5 min timer) in order to allow the slides to work. It will also not allow you to turn both in and out at the same time. For testing I have them set for 6 sec. I am sure i will be changing it. I will also have a setup screen that the timer can be changed with ease.

LIGHTS
    All the lights are right now a simple on off and they are labeled. I have been thinking of adding a timer function that is user programmable. My first thought is press a light to turn it on and then an option is to press a preset timer, 2hr, 4hr, 6hr...

TANKS
    For now I am going to keep the Empty, 1/3, 2/3, and Full. I would like to upgrade the sensors to a radar probe. I don't think i will ever get around to that. Its just a wish right now.

WATER PUMP
    Just on and off. I will add a pressure gauge so i can see the actual water pressure. This pressure gauge should read both pump and city pressure.

AC / HEAT controls
    I haven't started this yet. I am excited to have this. You have no idea how many times I have pressed the button on the T-stat and pass by the function I want. I plan press AC or HEAT, press HI LOW speed. If you press HEAT then GAS or ELECTRIC. simple

Battery and AC voltage monitoring
    It will just display voltages and alarm with low voltage.

REMOTE ACCESS
    I will have access through a hot spot or another WIFI or cell equipment.

HIGH WIND
    I have been thinking of making a high wind alarm that would pull in the slides.

I think that covers most of what i have. If you have any suggestions feel free to share. If there is interest I will post an update at a later date. I am open to anyone would like to remote into the display and take a look at it, when i get to that point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB0795AD-E39B-48B8-AA22-F2A4A016E25A.jpg   2EFD97CB-ED41-4526-80ED-77E313F91291.jpg   1D6EEDD1-B654-4359-AB3B-4C9ED4DE2763.jpeg   0EE33923-AF34-4D9D-9621-83973C2C68C8.jpg   F990FAB0-B132-4F2B-853D-2CCEAFC5311E.jpg  

Last edited by Kensoko; 06-15-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie Long Horn short box, mega cab, SRW, HO with Aisin Tranny
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensoko View Post
    Here it goes, my wife isn’t too excited about my idea of modifications I want to make to our control panel. I get a kick on working with suff like this. I want your input, should I pack it up or should I keep going.

I have most of the layout done. I still am working on the look and feel. I also haven’t put in the thermostat yet hope to get that later this year. I am running out of I/O space.

The PLC is running good for what I have done so far. I’m going to be limited on the amount of DOs I will have until I get some expansion cards.

I hope to start installing it in late Aug or September.

https://youtu.be/s0cp-tPSQAk
    I love it and I vote you should keep going, I love stuff like that. A lot of my house is now automated and connected. But dw is not impressed and couldn't care less. She even says that feels of Google like a mistress. When I talk to her (Google) it seems like I glow and smile. Lol

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good so far. I'm interested to see how it turns out. What kind of hardware are you using to control everything (I'd love to see some diagrams or at least a parts list at some point). What did you use to make the user interface?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you running for a front end (program)? What is the hardware interface? I have had a career in instrumentation so I love the idea. If keeps you occupied and happy I say go for it. Myself sometimes I come to realize I overthink things and it's easier and cheaper (and probably better for me) to walk over and turn off a light switch.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mind sharing a few things? I wanted to develop something about the same. What OS are you using? Is that python scripting? What is your programming language? How are you detecting the toggle state of different switches? I was thinking of doing something with rasberry PI and a touch screen. My thoughts was to have the system run via a small secure wifi AP so that when I get to a site and put power on the system, the AP boots up and I can access from a browser on my mobile phone. That way I could look and see if stuff is an obstruction while I pull my slides out.

The problem with automatic slide retraction is that I worry that the kids will leave something in the way and it will damage the slide. I wanted to build my system to match up function with a checklist for setup and tear down.
    Last edited by FreddieMac; 06-16-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Looking good so far. I'm interested to see how it turns out. What kind of hardware are you using to control everything (I'd love to see some diagrams or at least a parts list at some point). What did you use to make the user interface?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks I am going to keep working on it, I will share my progress when I get closer. The hardware is a ScadaPack 334 PLC and a Redlion HMI. I have used them both for years and I'm familiar with there functions.

Software - PLC is Telepace Studio
    HMI - Crimson 3.1
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    What are you running for a front end (program)? What is the hardware interface? I have had a career in instrumentation so I love the idea. If keeps you occupied and happy I say go for it. Myself sometimes I come to realize I overthink things and it's easier and cheaper (and probably better for me) to walk over and turn off a light switch.
    Redlion HMI and ScadaPack 334. I am the same way it would be easy just to use a button and not go this far (over engineer). I still think why have a luxury RV with so antiquated controls. The other day i was in a $250+K RV Pusher and the driver controls are 90s style dials, push buttons and gauges. It just blows my mind.
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    Do you mind sharing a few things? I wanted to develop something about the same. What OS are you using? Is that python scripting? What is your programming language? How are you detecting the toggle state of different switches? I was thinking of doing something with rasberry PI and a touch screen. My thoughts was to have the system run via a small secure wifi AP so that when I get to a site and put power on the system, the AP boots up and I can access from a browser on my mobile phone. That way I could look and see if stuff is an obstruction while I pull my slides out.

The problem with automatic slide retraction is that I worry that the kids will leave something in the way and it will damage the slide. I wanted to build my system to match up function with a checklist for setup and tear down.
    I will get into more details later but I am using a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller). I have very little script, most of the logic is ladder logic what script I do have is C++. I have been using ladder for many years and I think I am ok. I am going to keep the original switches just for comfort for wife. The PLC has 8 DOs and I have expanded to about 40DOs (Digital Outputs). The DOs will send 12V to where ever I wire them into. Im my case it will be the load side of the currently installed switches in the camper.

See pic for example of ladder. This page is the bedroom dresser slide. The button on the HMI is addressed to 510 OUT and 511 for IN. When the OUT BUTTON is pressed on the HMI, the contact will close passing power to 6sec timer only if the IN is not all ready going. You can see the normally closed contacts of each apposing action is in the other rungs. This prevents both IN and OUT being activated at the same time. I know its a little messy right now, I will be cleaning it up later.

There is also a Permissive a toggle switch on the HMI has to be in the ON state before any function will work. I am going to add a timer on the so after 5 mins it will auto turn off. I think this will prevent little hands playing with buttons.

The HMI has a web server built in so I can log into it where ever I have cell service.

I have thought about using a Pi, I have done some looking into it just wasn't my choice. It would work with the right hardware. I am very pro Linux I use Linux everyday. I just am not very good with Python. I really wanted to use an old Ipad as a screen but I could never get it figured out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	27344
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensoko View Post
    I will get into more details later but I am using a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller). I have very little script, most of the logic is ladder logic what script I do have is C++. I have been using ladder for many years and I think I am ok. I am going to keep the original switches just for comfort for wife. The PLC has 8 DOs and I have expanded to about 40DOs (Digital Outputs). The DOs will send 12V to where ever I wire them into. Im my case it will be the load side of the currently installed switches in the camper.

See pic for example of ladder. This page is the bedroom dresser slide. The button on the HMI is addressed to 510 OUT and 511 for IN. When the OUT BUTTON is pressed on the HMI, the contact will close passing power to 6sec timer only if the IN is not all ready going. You can see the normally closed contacts of each apposing action is in the other rungs. This prevents both IN and OUT being activated at the same time. I know its a little messy right now, I will be cleaning it up later.

There is also a Permissive a toggle switch on the HMI has to be in the ON state before any function will work. I am going to add a timer on the so after 5 mins it will auto turn off. I think this will prevent little hands playing with buttons.

The HMI has a web server built in so I can log into it where ever I have cell service.

I have thought about using a Pi, I have done some looking into it just wasn't my choice. It would work with the right hardware. I am very pro Linux I use Linux everyday. I just am not very good with Python. I really wanted to use an old Ipad as a screen but I could never get it figured out.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	27344
    Awesome information, thanks. I am working on the Python version of a GUI for a controller on a small 8" screen. I will post in this thread as I make some progress. I have been scripting in PHP and Python for a number of years, so I am pretty comfortable with it. I have never used the PIs but I am interested in learning something new. I want to do the same, I want to keep the manual control panel in place. FYI, the iPad idea probably could work if you did a jailbreak on it, but I would suggest andriod would probably be better for it. I am about to get a PI 3 or 4 to start tinkering with this for fun. Once I get some of this GUI work done, I will post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    Awesome information, thanks. I am working on the Python version of a GUI for a controller on a small 8" screen. I will post in this thread as I make some progress. I have been scripting in PHP and Python for a number of years, so I am pretty comfortable with it. I have never used the PIs but I am interested in learning something new. I want to do the same, I want to keep the manual control panel in place. FYI, the iPad idea probably could work if you did a jailbreak on it, but I would suggest andriod would probably be better for it. I am about to get a PI 3 or 4 to start tinkering with this for fun. Once I get some of this GUI work done, I will post.

FreddieMac,
    I have been working hard on mine and I have made some progress. I cleaned up the screens and i think it flows very well. I would like some feedback and let me know what you think.

I have added a Web Server if you would like to look at it here it is. http://173.241.181.60:8080/ This is actually controlling the PLC in my shop. Its not installed yet so you can activate the buttons. The temp and humidity is actual readings.

Home Page:
    This is just a Logo Page

Overview:
    View Battery, Tank Levels, Inside Temp, Inside Humidity and Water Pressure, and control Awnings, Water Pump, and Inverter

Lights
    You can control all lights independent from each, other or you can turn on/off all the inside or outside lights at the same time.

Slide Outs
    Has the manual and auto slide out feature(user programmable in the setup page). I still have the Permissive, this is just for the slides not the Awnings.

Setup
    Is for the time the slides and awnings will extend or retract.

Name:	Main Page.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	27432

Name:	OverView Page.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	27433

Name:	Lights Page.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	27434

Name:	Slide Outs Page.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	27435

Name:	Set Up Page.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	27436
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast