User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the 6" reminder. I knew it was close and should not be a problem.

The batteries are under the bed, should I add a vent to the under bed space? I know lithium does not give off gas but they will be enclosed. I figure it can't hurt to vent on the drivers side of the bed where a vent would never be seen.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    Thanks for the 6" reminder. I knew it was close and should not be a problem.

The batteries are under the bed, should I add a vent to the under bed space? I know lithium does not give off gas but they will be enclosed. I figure it can't hurt to vent on the drivers side of the bed where a vent would never be seen.
    For Lithium batteries a vent is not required, however, vents for ventilation would not hurt anything. Vents might reduce the chance of any heat buildup in the under bed space. You could place vents on one side or both sides to create some cross flow. You can also place vents low to the floor on one side and high up on the other side to create some natural convection.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    You are correct, those wires supply all your 12v circuits. I was able to tie directly into the wires coming out of my Converter, so, there wasn't a long run from my battery (actually, Bus Bar) to these wires so I did not need a fuse. If you have a long run to the point wher you tie into the 12v fuse box, then I would fuse the line, you don't want a wire unprotected by a fuse, if the run is short 2-3 feet, then I would not fuse it because the line is already fused. However, it would be best if you fused this line just to be extra safe.

By-the-way, your 400 amp fuse should either be on the battery post, or as close to it as possible, I believe that it is required to be within 6 inches of the battery (US Coast Guard requirements for boating installations, which is what I followed).
    Anyone know what size fuse would that be since it is after the 400 fuse and I believe 6 awg wiring be sufficient.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran 2awg to feed the rest of my trailer and used a 100amp circuit breaker (low voltage one). With 6awg you could use a 60amp fuse or breaker ...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got this completed. Thank to all who provided valuable info along the way.
    Two quick questions:
    1) I unplugged the existing converter and shut the breaker, is there any reason to disconnect the red and black wires from the breaker box?
    2) I used 6/3 wire from the breaker area to and from the pass through which means one wire was not used and I cut them off, do i need to terminate them a certain way to meet electrical codes?
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the original converter. I also removed the positive terminal (red) from the breaker box. I left the other wires but took the black wire and connected it to a good grounding point on the chassis.

If I were to leave the converter, I would do as you have done and also remove the 2 - 30amp fuses from it.

As for the 6/3 wire, if you don't intend to use the other phase (ie: only power the one side) from the inverter you can cut it off on both ends and make sure the bare metal part does not touch anything. Maybe use shrink wrap to ensure this.

What I did was bridge/connect the other hot line (black ones) through the inverter using a small terminal block and shrink wrap. Then I fed that into the manual switch that either passes through both 50amp lines as is (inverter only powers one side) or will bridge the second phase on the output so the inverter can feed the whole camper. This second option ignores the input on that phase. The video I posted above shows this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234