User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member trying not to back over my oak tree

Hi all just got an imagine 2670mk. Fun bringing it home but realized my Ford back-up assist probably not as good as purchasing a back up camera. Looking forward to hitting the road.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRubin View Post
    Hi all just got an imagine 2670mk. Fun bringing it home but realized my Ford back-up assist probably not as good as purchasing a back up camera. Looking forward to hitting the road.
    Welcome! You definitely want to hit the road, not the tree. Back up cameras could be good, a spotter is also very helpful, but the best thing to do is stop, get out and look first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely. Was more of a weak attempt at humor about the “hands-free” Ford back up assist. I think I will stick with hands on my steering wheel back up in anything but wide spaces.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used that Ford back-up assist on a friends trailer. I found it interesting and it took a bit to get use to it. Since I can backup pretty good without it I don't see it as a necessary feature in my next truck.

The think I found most interesting is that as soon as you release your grip on the back-up knob the steering wheel returns to center. That took a bit getting use to.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had a rear camera on both of our fifth wheels. I've not found them overly helpful for backing up into spaces - the lenses are too wide-angle and don't give a good perception of depth or distance. What I've found most helpful, by far, is my wife back there on the phone (speaker phone mode for me) or two-way radio if we don't have a good cell signal in the area. She's a great spotter and can tell me exactly what I need to do. The cameras are useful, though, on providing further assurance when it's time to pull back over after passing a semi on a grade, etc.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-16-2020 at 06:40 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We've had a rear camera on both of our fifth wheels. I've not found them overly helpful for backing up into spaces - the lenses are too wide-angle and don't give a good perception of depth or distance. What I've found most helpful, by far, is my wife back there on the phone (speaker phone mode for me) or twp-way radio if we don't have a good cell signal in the area. She's a great spotter and can tell me exactly what I need to do. The cameras are useful, though, on providing further assurance when it's time to pull back over after passing a semi on a grade, etc.

Rob
    Hi Rob, exactly what I was thinking on the camera. I glance at it once in a while driving just to see whats behind me but don't use it for parking or backing. A spotter is the only way to go.

Boy letting my truck back and park my towed anything would scare me to death. Just setting there and letting it do its thing would be nerve racking. when parking our RV at home I have to back into the side driveway, house on one side chain-link fence on the other, being careful to stay away from the house as the eves are lower the the roof of the RV. Then back it between a tree and telephone/power pole at the same time as turning it to get it started to angle in the right direction headed for its spot on pavers. It takes several back and forth turning movements to get it angled just right and also miss the car port in front of one of my shops. With a long bed truck and 37 foot trailer its.............. fun?
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-16-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added info
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRubin View Post
    Practice - Practice - Practice
    Find an empty parking lot and use the parking spaces to practice backing. There are a few you-tube vids that are good too. If you hold the TV steering wheel at the 6PM position, which ever way you move your hand the back if the trailer will go. On other thing to learn is trailer tail swing. When you turn the trailer tail will swing wider than the trailer tires. Have someone drive and turn the trailer out of a parking space, and watch how far the trailer swing is. This will keep you from snagging rocks. posts, shrubbery as you visit places.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by powerscol; 06-16-2020 at 10:05 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a spotter...everytime you back up. Pam uses hand signals for me. If she leaves the mirror I stop until I can see her again. Works for us.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    What I've found most helpful, by far, is my wife back there on the phone (speaker phone mode for me) or twp-way radio if we don't have a good cell signal in the area. She's a great spotter and can tell me exactly what I need to do. The cameras are useful, though, on providing further assurance when it's time to pull back over after passing a semi on a grade, etc.
    Ditto, except I'm the one in the back with the phone and my wife is doing the driving.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all. Yes my son was actually a good spotter. Not too impressed with the back up assist. Think the non new technology way is the way to go. This newbie thought “hey hands free with this knobbie thingy will be great!” As stated above if you take your hand off the knob it goes back to the middle and if you touch the steering wheel it goes off. Better off using a spotter and hands on.

Did purchase a camera last night. Disappointed to hear its only a little helpful for backing up. Guess it’s good to see behind you while driving?