User Tag List

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    The radial fans may be a good option. I'm trying to work out a fan solution and I'm thinking about using them. I was originally looking at high flow fans in the 70 - 100 cfm range. I got to thinking about it and there is really not that much space in the area behind the fridge. If you were moving 30 cfm you would probably be circulating the entire area at least once per minute.
    Radial fans have 3 issues:
    1) They would have to be small - about 50mm to fit between the horizontal rows of the vents. This limits their output.
    2) They're quite a bit noisier than a conventional computer fan
    3) They use way more electricity. The Noctua AF-A14 uses 0.18 amps. I couldn't find a rating on the 50mm radial fans, but the 80mm versions use 0.95 amps, which is quite a bit more for quite a bit less performance. That's why if I were to use them, I would use the 80-120mm radial fans in the lower vent compartment to direct the air upward through the channel to the upper vent. As evacuation fans for the upper vent, I'm not sure the trade-off in decreased performance that comes along with increased energy usage, makes sense.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    Thanks for the reply and pic showing the heat shield Lexx. It looks like you have committed some grey matter to the same problem...

Let us know what direction you go to solve the problem. The velcroed cover and angled holes I did has proven to be good rain protection. We've had a few storms pass thru and the inside compartment remained dry as a bone.
    Until you mentioned it in this post, I didn't realize your cover was held in place with velcro. That's an excellent idea!

Where'd you find the piece of plastic that acts as a cover?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Until you mentioned it in this post, I didn't realize your cover was held in place with velcro. That's an excellent idea!

Where'd you find the piece of plastic that acts as a cover?
    I ordered a 12"x12" piece of ABS black plastic from Amazon and cut it with snips. Cost me like $4 including shipping. For the hinge I'm using some Gorilla super strength duct tape. So far the set up has seen several inches of rain and about 7 hours of 65mph highway driving. Nothing has loosened or changed positions.

On a side note, the fan is whisper quiet. You can't hear it from the inside and you need to be right below it outside to hear it.
    Last edited by Boom 'r Bust; 06-16-2020 at 07:38 PM.
    2021 Winnebago 2932 5th wheel
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla
    2018 Reflection 220RK - sold 11/20
    2018 Titan XD 4x4 SL - sold 11/20

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I'm gonna steal your idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    I ordered a 12"x12" piece of ABS black plastic from Amazon and cut it with snips. Cost me like $4 including shipping. For the hinge I'm using some Gorilla super strength duct tape. So far the set up has seen several inches of rain and about 7 hours of 65mph highway driving. Nothing has loosened or changed positions.

On a side note, the fan is whisper quiet. You can't hear it from the inside and you need to be right below it outside to hear it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I'm gonna steal your idea!
    It's not stealing if I give it to you... ☺

Take my concept and make it better!
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site makes conversion kits to covert from RV to Residential fridge. They also have many other parts to solve problems. Here is a link to the side out fridge fan.
    https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...out-fan-kit-u/
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    This site makes conversion kits to covert from RV to Residential fridge. They also have many other parts to solve problems. Here is a link to the side out fridge fan.
    https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...out-fan-kit-u/
    Thanks for the link Nascar9. Unfortunately using their fans requires pulling the fridge out and removing the heat shield. For me this presents too many unknowns and was too risky based on my current diy skills.

Also, it should be noted that I did not know about the limited space behind the upper vent before buying the $90 fan from Titan. My decisions were solely based on how to get the fan I bought to fit in my rig. I'm kind of frugal and did not want to 'eat' that purchase (it was not returnable due to minor marks I put on casing).
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. For those who don't understand what the metal shield is, here's a photo of said shield.
    Attachment 27329

As Boomer stated, there's very little clearance between the back of the vent cover (the horizontal rows of vent holes protrude into the space) - about 0.5" by my measurement.

I've been struggling with how to get some fans in there to draw the hot air out, and get them to fit. Boomer's method is excellent, but it does require cutting into the vent and there is of course, the worry about rain getting in there even with angled holes. I know they do make fans that are weather resistant.

The Noctua NF-A14 140mm High Performance Fan will run at 2000 RPM, exhausting 107 CFM, and the noise level is 32 dB. Two of these suckers are going to be like a vacuum cleaner lol.
    https://www.quietpc.com/nf-a14-ippc-2000

I like the idea of modifying the vent cover, as there is no other way to affix any sort of high performance fan.

The only other thing I could think of was to use some radial fans, but they are small 50mm units and they makes lots of noise while not offering that much performance. The 50mm fans could sit in the recess between the rows of the exhaust slots of the vent cover. I measured the area and I can fit 6 of these fans in-between the horizontal vent rows.
    Attachment 27330

In either case, my plan is to add either:
    1) Two of the 80mm radial fans to the lower compartment to direct air up through the channel vent or
    2) Install two of the high performance Noctua fans to intake the outside air on the lower vent cover (where there's no issue of space)

I will also use a programmable thermostat such as this one:
    Attachment 27331
    I'm trying to figure out how the Inkbird programmable thermostat can be used. Reading the specs it can be turned on at a specific "hot" temp, but I don't see a way to specify what temp it cycles "off" at as the coils cool down. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to find a spec sheet and determine what the "dead band" is. That is a predetermined range that the controller switches on or off. I would guess a few degrees below set point. If it is too close it would be continuously switching on / off. Also while that is a nice unit it's a bit more than what you need. A selectable temperature switch is better suited and less expensive. I got a Stego KTS-011 for $10 shipped on the 'bay.
    https://www.stego-usa.com/products/r...ating-cooling/

PS I was just scrolling through a manual for a model 308 Inkbird. The adjustable setting to use is cooling differential if you are adding fans to cool a 'fridge. I.E. fans switch on at 100 deg F and turn off at 95 deg F.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-22-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Inkbird I was looking at is the model ITC-1000 @$15. I haven't found the on/off specs for that.

You mention the 5 degree differential on the model 308, and the problem is I really don't know what I need. I previously just had the fans running continuously when the fridge would not stay cold on hot days. I'm working in an area here I know little about.

I'm interested in the Stego KTS-011 you mention. What are the control contacts rated at?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast