User Tag List

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    The Inkbird I was looking at is the model ITC-1000 @$15. I haven't found the on/off specs for that.

You mention the 5 degree differential on the model 308, and the problem is I really don't know what I need. I previously just had the fans running continuously when the fridge would not stay cold on hot days. I'm working in an area here I know little about.

I'm interested in the Stego KTS-011 you mention. What are the control contacts rated at?
    Sorry I wasn't aware the link didn't work: https://www.stego-usa.com/products/r...ating-cooling/
    The 5 deg differential was an arbitrary range FWIW.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Stego-USA does not have a remote sensor. The sensor is in the unit, and that would have to mounted near the coils I would think. Guess it depends on how easy it is to get to the coils on the fridge. I need to look more closely at the Inkbird ITC-1000 and see if I can make that work.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    The Stego-USA does not have a remote sensor. The sensor is in the unit, and that would have to mounted near the coils I would think. Guess it depends on how easy it is to get to the coils on the fridge. I need to look more closely at the Inkbird ITC-1000 and see if I can make that work.
    If you look down the backside of your 'fridge, take the top vent cover off and gently push the metal shield in, about midway up on the right side is the thermal switch held on by glue or the caulk they love to use. Since that switch is controlling a relay at the bottom by the control panel you could just add fans to the relay output to see if the increased airflow is enough to affect temperatures.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-23-2020 at 04:11 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ace,

Good idea. My fridge is in the slide and trying to look down the back is going to be really difficult. Fortunately they did a good job on building a tight enclosure cabinet for the fridge, and I'd have to remove a wood baffle first. Depends on how far down the switch is located.

However, you bring up an interesting possibility. I can hear a fan that cycles on and off, and is probably controlled by the thermal switch you mention. If there is a relay at the bottom, near the control board, I can use that to control extra fans. Or if relay is too small to handle the load, use it to control a slave relay for extra fans. I'll take a look.

I may have also found a solution in a Emerson 3F05-1 Adjustable Snap Disc Fan Control. Adjustable "on" form 90 - 130 deg and "off" differential of 20 deg.
    Last edited by dryfly; 06-23-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    So we are into our hot months here in Texas. Back in May I was camping at a State Park in OK. It was about 82 degrees out and my 8CF Dometic fridge was a little warmer than I like. Freezer was hovering in the low 20's and fridge was around 40. I've been watching Youtube many years and have seen several vent fan installs. Looked easy, so when we got home I ordered a 120mm fan from Titan. My plan was to install it in the upper vent. My fridge is in the slide, so no roof vent.

Got the fan, drove out to the rig and figured 1-2 hour install, right? As soon as I took the vent off it was obvious my plan would not work...

The back of the fridge (the fins) were nearly touching the back of the vent cover. And to make things worse, there is a solid metal heat shield going about 2/3 of the way up the opening.

There was no way this fan was going to fit behind this vent cover. I thought about raising the white flag and just installing it in the bottom vent and push the air up. But everything I'd seen said the the biggest improvement come with fans near the back fin (the hot area). So after a few nights of strenuous mental exercise, I came up with this idea... Make the vent cover and fan forever one. Bonded together for all of eternity...

The first thing I did was look to see how much a new vent cover would cost in case I screwed this up. $45... ok now I've got a safety net.

So I cut out a section of the cover so the fan would sit flush against the flat portion of it. But this still left half the fan blocked by plastic. So I then drilled holes on an angle (rain protection). All the time I'm doing this I'm thinking $45 gets me back to where I started...

Now I needed to figure out a simple yet effective way to keep the rain out. I know! A cover for the cover!

Next I put in some screen material and buttoned it all up with some clear silicone to secure and seal everything. It's not going to win a beauty contest but here are the pics:

Attachment 27323
    Attachment 27324
    Attachment 27325

So 2 weeks ago we went back out for 5 days. It was 86 degrees and little to no shade at our site. This was what our fridge temps were:
    Attachment 27326

Yes, that is 5 BELOW zero in the freezer! Needless to say, I was VERY pleased. Normally I would not show a DIY job that looks, well, so-so at best. But the results made me feel I had to share for those that have a fridge in the slide and no room for the typical fan install.

Boomer
    Well done! Fantastic Idea w/ a twist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a shield from the elements, what about modifying a vent that they use for the microwave vent, with the shield and flapper?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **Double Post**
    Last edited by Boom 'r Bust; 06-24-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DenaliDRW View Post
    As a shield from the elements, what about modifying a vent that they use for the microwave vent, with the shield and flapper?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
    I think that's a great idea! Why do I think it's a great idea? Because I considered doing the same thing... 🤣

I tried to do something similar with the velcroed flap, but the microwave vent would definitely look nicer. But remember, when I did this little project I wasn't sure how well it would work.

In hindsight I would not drill the holes in the vent. But I would cut another 1/2" to 1" off the flat area blocking the fan. This would give me max ventilation and the flap would still provide the rain protection I need.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    So we are into our hot months here in Texas. Back in May I was camping at a State Park in OK. It was about 82 degrees out and my 8CF Dometic fridge was a little warmer than I like. Freezer was hovering in the low 20's and fridge was around 40. I've been watching Youtube many years and have seen several vent fan installs. Looked easy, so when we got home I ordered a 120mm fan from Titan. My plan was to install it in the upper vent. My fridge is in the slide, so no roof vent.

Got the fan, drove out to the rig and figured 1-2 hour install, right? As soon as I took the vent off it was obvious my plan would not work...

The back of the fridge (the fins) were nearly touching the back of the vent cover. And to make things worse, there is a solid metal heat shield going about 2/3 of the way up the opening.

There was no way this fan was going to fit behind this vent cover. I thought about raising the white flag and just installing it in the bottom vent and push the air up. But everything I'd seen said the the biggest improvement come with fans near the back fin (the hot area). So after a few nights of strenuous mental exercise, I came up with this idea... Make the vent cover and fan forever one. Bonded together for all of eternity...

The first thing I did was look to see how much a new vent cover would cost in case I screwed this up. $45... ok now I've got a safety net.

So I cut out a section of the cover so the fan would sit flush against the flat portion of it. But this still left half the fan blocked by plastic. So I then drilled holes on an angle (rain protection). All the time I'm doing this I'm thinking $45 gets me back to where I started...

Now I needed to figure out a simple yet effective way to keep the rain out. I know! A cover for the cover!

Next I put in some screen material and buttoned it all up with some clear silicone to secure and seal everything. It's not going to win a beauty contest but here are the pics:

Attachment 27323
    Attachment 27324
    Attachment 27325

So 2 weeks ago we went back out for 5 days. It was 86 degrees and little to no shade at our site. This was what our fridge temps were:
    Attachment 27326

Yes, that is 5 BELOW zero in the freezer! Needless to say, I was VERY pleased. Normally I would not show a DIY job that looks, well, so-so at best. But the results made me feel I had to share for those that have a fridge in the slide and no room for the typical fan install.

Boomer
    You could install a vent cover like over the stove...it would allow for airflow and keep out the rain...attach right to the cover.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    You could install a vent cover like over the stove...it would allow for airflow and keep out the rain...attach right to the cover.
    Thanks Spike. You and Denali have a great idea. See my post above yours... ��

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast