User Tag List

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I could also place the controller on the lower edge of the frame (vent frame) on auto...
    That is true, but the controller isn't weather proof, that's why I mounted it inside.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    That is true, but the controller isn't weather proof, that's why I mounted it inside.

Thanks, Mark. Well done and much easier to do compared to some of the creative ideas I have read. I know the small storage area beside the refrigerator is just a thin wall away (I can feel the warmth on it) and assume one could fish the line thru for the controller. Will have to take a close look at that and again, appreciate your quick response.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Mark. Well done and much easier to do compared to some of the creative ideas I have read. I know the small storage area beside the refrigerator is just a thin wall away (I can feel the warmth on it) and assume one could fish the line thru for the controller. Will have to take a close look at that and again, appreciate your quick response.
    If you look at my pictures, I did drill a hole, large enough to squeeze the connector through.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post

I too mounted the most recent one inside. But the first one (post #1 in this thread) I left inside the lower vent cover and simply left it on top speed. That work well too.

terryriddle, if you have a 8cf frig, this mod might be all you need. But if you have a 12cf or larger, this will help but probably not do it all...

In my case I still need to improve the chimney design behind the frig and then add fans to the fjns inside the frig. After that my work will be done,
    2021 Winnebago 2932 5th wheel
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla
    2018 Reflection 220RK - sold 11/20
    2018 Titan XD 4x4 SL - sold 11/20

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    The wiring is easy. You have a few ways to go.

1. If you have an existing fan and thermostat, you can simply tap into that circuit and add more air flow when the fan is activated.

2 You can get a different temp thermostat so your fans come on earlier and maybe stay on longer (will include an Amazon link where I got mine).

3. You can tap directly to the 12v source and have the fans run all the time the fridge is running.

4. Same as 3 except you add a manual on off switch.

Link to Snap Disk Thermostat

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CV4YQ18...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck!

So I just want to wire my extra fan so it turns on when the other one does right now. I assume if I just tap into the OEM fan wires on the left, red to red and black to black with the other fan, that will be a parallel connection and work just fine? It's to hard to get to where the OEM fan connects with the thermostat as it runs down the left side of fridge and is all zip tied. If this doesn't improve temps, I'll eventually replace the thermostat with a lower rated one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200510_140655550.jpg   IMG_20200510_140634045.jpg  
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    So I just want to wire my extra fan so it turns on when the other one does right now. I assume if I just tap into the OEM fan wires on the left, red to red and black to black with the other fan, that will be a parallel connection and work just fine? It's to hard to get to where the OEM fan connects with the thermostat as it runs down the left side of fridge and is all zip tied. If this doesn't improve temps, I'll eventually replace the thermostat with a lower rated one.
    Question. Did you cut out the boarding in the top vent area or did it come like that? With my Reflection 260RD, 3/4 of the vent area is covered with a panel, thus limiting heat flow but engineered that way. Just curious.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    So we are into our hot months here in Texas. Back in May I was camping at a State Park in OK. It was about 82 degrees out and my 8CF Dometic fridge was a little warmer than I like. Freezer was hovering in the low 20's and fridge was around 40. I've been watching Youtube many years and have seen several vent fan installs. Looked easy, so when we got home I ordered a 120mm fan from Titan. My plan was to install it in the upper vent. My fridge is in the slide, so no roof vent.

Got the fan, drove out to the rig and figured 1-2 hour install, right? As soon as I took the vent off it was obvious my plan would not work...

The back of the fridge (the fins) were nearly touching the back of the vent cover. And to make things worse, there is a solid metal heat shield going about 2/3 of the way up the opening.

There was no way this fan was going to fit behind this vent cover. I thought about raising the white flag and just installing it in the bottom vent and push the air up. But everything I'd seen said the the biggest improvement come with fans near the back fin (the hot area). So after a few nights of strenuous mental exercise, I came up with this idea... Make the vent cover and fan forever one. Bonded together for all of eternity...

The first thing I did was look to see how much a new vent cover would cost in case I screwed this up. $45... ok now I've got a safety net.

So I cut out a section of the cover so the fan would sit flush against the flat portion of it. But this still left half the fan blocked by plastic. So I then drilled holes on an angle (rain protection). All the time I'm doing this I'm thinking $45 gets me back to where I started...

Now I needed to figure out a simple yet effective way to keep the rain out. I know! A cover for the cover!

Next I put in some screen material and buttoned it all up with some clear silicone to secure and seal everything. It's not going to win a beauty contest but here are the pics:

Attachment 27323
    Attachment 27324
    Attachment 27325

So 2 weeks ago we went back out for 5 days. It was 86 degrees and little to no shade at our site. This was what our fridge temps were:
    Attachment 27326

Yes, that is 5 BELOW zero in the freezer! Needless to say, I was VERY pleased. Normally I would not show a DIY job that looks, well, so-so at best. But the results made me feel I had to share for those that have a fridge in the slide and no room for the typical fan install.

Boomer
    Very nice! I bought some as a back up as we’ve had nothing but problems with ours in our first two years. We have a wood backing behind the cover. I need to cut out about an inch to make the fans fit flush against the fins. If the cover doesn’t fit I’ll need to modify it. Thanks for posting!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    Simple answer, yes, you can do that.

Here is the rub, these fans come on too late. I read a paper last year (I will see if I can find it) that discussed the optimum temp for an absorption refrigerator proces. That optimum temp was 95-105. I don’t even thing these come on until like 125.

I have mine set to turn on at 88 off at 115.

These thermostat is called a snap disk. You can get all different temp configs at Amazon.

I did get the snap disk with a temp range of 85 on 110 off. but ended up just using the digital controller for the one I put on the bottom.

Link
    https://a.co/d/cK8kMcN

Good Luck
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Simple answer, yes, you can do that.

Here is the rub, these fans come on too late. I read a paper last year (I will see if I can find it) that discussed the optimum temp for an absorption refrigerator proces. That optimum temp was 95-105. I don’t even thing these come on until like 125.

I have mine set to turn on at 88 off at 115.

These thermostat is called a snap disk. You can get all different temp configs at Amazon.

I did get the snap disk with a temp range of 85 on 110 off. but ended up just using the digital controller for the one I put on the bottom.

Link
    https://a.co/d/cK8kMcN

Good Luck
    Bill

Thanks. I measured my thermostat disc last time it came on with an infrared gun and it came on at 105. Do you have a link to the digital controller you bought as well. Should be an easy install since the original connectors just snap onto the old one. So, you have another thermostat at the bottom vent with a fan as well? I did read this whole thread, but it's quite long now, so I apologize if you mentioned it somewhere else.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question. Did you cut out the boarding in the top vent area or did it come like that? With my Reflection 260RD, 3/4 of the vent area is covered with a panel, thus limiting heat flow but engineered that way. Just curious.
    Hi, I originally cut out the wood that was there thinking it would help get rid of the heat. After reading more into it and looking at the fridge install instructions I put it back with sheet metal.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast