User Tag List

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Boomer for giving me the idea with all your pictures and processes. The install was easy and all the comments on the thread should benefit others as they did me.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Thanks Boomer for giving me the idea with all your pictures and processes. The install was easy and all the comments on the thread should benefit others as they did me.
    My pleasure Tim. It's nice to see how the original concept has been adapted, improved, and implemented over the past 14 months...
    2021 Winnebago 2932 5th wheel
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla
    2018 Reflection 220RK - sold 11/20
    2018 Titan XD 4x4 SL - sold 11/20

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
    Agree, have a great trip. My Dometic RM1350 has always worked 'well' with the loud 4 stock fans. In 105 degree Texas heat, it would climb to 39-40 if you stayed out of it.

We have a trip coming up next Wednesday and after reading all the 'fan' threads, I decided to solve 1) for the noise and 2) better performance.

I really didnt want to cut up the stock cover. I bought two AreoCool 200MM fans and installed them behind the baffle. I had to remove the 4 stock fans from the back for clearance.

With the stock fans out I started playing around with wiring them in series to reduce the RPMs and Noise. Decided to remount 3 of them in the bottom vent to pull in more fresh air.

Its 95 degrees here in Texas, the fridge has been at 34 degrees all day with nothing but 2 one gallon jugs in it. Fan noise is gone and performance is greatly improved!

I also spend some time and cleaned up the cover castings. As you can see there is some extra plastic blocking air flow.

Attachment 36363

Attachment 36364

Attachment 36365

Attachment 36366

Attachment 36367
    Great Job! I have done something similar, though not quite that elaborate. I have a simple wood shroud. I just cut holes in the existing wood one. I did use the same Aerocool fans, love them.

Again great job, looks cool.

Thanks,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just returned home from a 2600 mile 8 state trip from Texas to Wisconsin and back. The day before the trip, I started the fridge and it was nice and cool at 33 degrees. We packed it and pulled the trailer out from the cover with the slide in direct sun and 100 degree weather. Temps climbed to 40 degrees. During the first night, temps stabilized and we were good to go at 35 degrees.

In the cooler weather states and as the fridge emptied out, temps ran at 33 degrees and would climb a couple degrees as the doors were opened.

On the return trip home the last two days were 95 and 100 degrees days. Temps in the fridge were 33 degree upon arriving at the camp grounds. It wasnt until we started opening the door did the temps climb but nothing greater then 38 degrees.

Couple things I noticed. 1) I measured no difference in food temperature when the fridge was 33 vs 40 degrees. 2) The first day when the fridge hit 40 degrees, the evaporator fin inside the fridge measured 28-30 degrees.

This leads me to believe I need some air movement inside the fridge. All in all, very happy with my fan mods both on AC and Propane.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
    Just returned home from a 2600 mile 8 state trip from Texas to Wisconsin and back. The day before the trip, I started the fridge and it was nice and cool at 33 degrees. We packed it and pulled the trailer out from the cover with the slide in direct sun and 100 degree weather. Temps climbed to 40 degrees. During the first night, temps stabilized and we were good to go at 35 degrees.

In the cooler weather states and as the fridge emptied out, temps ran at 33 degrees and would climb a couple degrees as the doors were opened.

On the return trip home the last two days were 95 and 100 degrees days. Temps in the fridge were 33 degree upon arriving at the camp grounds. It wasnt until we started opening the door did the temps climb but nothing greater then 38 degrees.

Couple things I noticed. 1) I measured no difference in food temperature when the fridge was 33 vs 40 degrees. 2) The first day when the fridge hit 40 degrees, the evaporator fin inside the fridge measured 28-30 degrees.

This leads me to believe I need some air movement inside the fridge. All in all, very happy with my fan mods both on AC and Propane.
    Thanks for telling us your experiences akcooper. I saw very similar results during our 6 week trip thru New Mexico.
    I bought one of those battery operated fans for the inside 2 years ago. Truth be told I probably need two of them...
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    My pleasure Tim. It's nice to see how the original concept has been adapted, improved, and implemented over the past 14 months...
    Boom 'r, thanks for all the advice and the time you spent with this post for so long. I am just now finishing reading all the posts and about to tackle the mod on my vent cover with added fans. It looks like on your new 5er you just cut into the top row of vent area and set the fans on top of the middle row. is that correct? I just have a 6 cu ft fridge and so the two Titan fans should make a huge difference. Now that you have done two mod, do you feel that the two fans together or spaced apart is the better set up? One item that I have not read and have not figured out is that with the temp sensor included is where does it need to go? Right next to the fins or someplace else? The older I get the steeper the learning curve is getting. lol.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Boom 'r, thanks for all the advice and the time you spent with this post for so long. I am just now finishing reading all the posts and about to tackle the mod on my vent cover with added fans. It looks like on your new 5er you just cut into the top row of vent area and set the fans on top of the middle row. is that correct? I just have a 6 cu ft fridge and so the two Titan fans should make a huge difference. Now that you have done two mod, do you feel that the two fans together or spaced apart is the better set up? One item that I have not read and have not figured out is that with the temp sensor included is where does it need to go? Right next to the fins or someplace else? The older I get the steeper the learning curve is getting. lol.
    Hello lorend and thank you for the kind words...

I'll answer your questions as best as I can :

1. Keeping the fans together or apart was driven by the type of outer vent cover I was attaching. In the first rendition keeping the fans together was easier and very functional. But when I wanted to make my second attempt look nicer by using the Famco covers, it worked better to separate the fans. That way the Famco covers each had something to attach all 4 corners.

2. I had to cut away part of each the top and middle rows to fit the fans.

3. I did not even use the temp actuator wire on the first install. On the second I fed the wire thru some holes that were all ready drilled in the fins. But frankly I have yet to even use that feature.

And I agree with a smaller fridge you will see a dramatic result with these fans. With our 12cf fridge we saw improvement but I still need to improve the chimney design behind our fridge.

Take pics as you do your project and post them here for the rest of us to see and learn from!

Good luck!
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, my refer vent mod.

I had to drill two holes in the wall. One up close to where I wanted the control panel, and the other behind the USB plug to get into the refer cabinet.Attachment 33050Attachment 33051Attachment 33052Attachment 33054Attachment 33055

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    I am still evaluating what if anything I should do to help my slide-installed refrigerator. I have seen vent cutouts with installations and other creative ideas.
    While they all have logic, I really like what you have done. My unit already has the baffle that GD installed when they made the unit. We can hear the two fans behind the refrigerator running a great deal of the time when it is hot. I like to ease or help life with something like you have done without changing the vent cover. So with that said, you simply added this fan unit to the interior upper vent framing. I keep reading about triple connectors, yet see where one can simply attach the ground and positive two wires to the refrigerator's 12V input source. In some photos, I see the connection but there is no mention of what was done with the third wire in the wrapped line. One even said it was not needed but the wrapped lines made it easier to work with. I am not an electrician but do understand the basics. Is the third wire needed and if so, for what? Could I simply set the control to auto and place that between the vent cover and GD baffle? I know, too simple...
    Last edited by terryriddle; 06-29-2022 at 04:23 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I am still evaluating what if anything I should do to help my slide-installed refrigerator. I have seen vent cutouts with installations and other creative ideas.
    While they all have logic, I really like what you have done. My unit already has the baffle that GD installed when they made the unit. We can heat the two fans behind the refrigerator running a great deal of the time when it is hot. I like to ease or help life with something like you have done without changing the vent cover. So with that said, you simply added this fan unit to the interior upper vent framing. I keep reading about triple connectors, yet see where one can simply attach the ground and positive two wires to the refrigerator's 12V input source. In some photos, I see the connection but there is no mention of what was done with the third wire in the wrapped line. One even said it was not needed but the wrapped lines made it easier to work with. I am not an electrician but do understand the basics. Is the third wire needed and if so, for what? Could I simply set the control to auto and place that between the vent cover and GD baffle? I know, too simple...
    The "third" wire is the thermistor, or temperature sensor wire. That one, I placed near the factory thermistor. But, for my fans, I just have them running full blast so I the thermistor isn't really doing anything.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the insight. I could also place the controller on the lower edge of the frame (vent frame) on auto...or a set manual speed with them running when the refrigerator has power. Correct? Or do I even need a controller that comes with this fan unit...
    Last edited by terryriddle; 06-29-2022 at 04:28 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast