So we are into our hot months here in Texas. Back in May I was camping at a State Park in OK. It was about 82 degrees out and my 8CF Dometic fridge was a little warmer than I like. Freezer was hovering in the low 20's and fridge was around 40. I've been watching Youtube many years and have seen several vent fan installs. Looked easy, so when we got home I ordered a 120mm fan from Titan. My plan was to install it in the upper vent. My fridge is in the slide, so no roof vent.

Got the fan, drove out to the rig and figured 1-2 hour install, right? As soon as I took the vent off it was obvious my plan would not work...

The back of the fridge (the fins) were nearly touching the back of the vent cover. And to make things worse, there is a solid metal heat shield going about 2/3 of the way up the opening.

There was no way this fan was going to fit behind this vent cover. I thought about raising the white flag and just installing it in the bottom vent and push the air up. But everything I'd seen said the the biggest improvement come with fans near the back fin (the hot area). So after a few nights of strenuous mental exercise, I came up with this idea... Make the vent cover and fan forever one. Bonded together for all of eternity...

The first thing I did was look to see how much a new vent cover would cost in case I screwed this up. $45... ok now I've got a safety net.

So I cut out a section of the cover so the fan would sit flush against the flat portion of it. But this still left half the fan blocked by plastic. So I then drilled holes on an angle (rain protection). All the time I'm doing this I'm thinking $45 gets me back to where I started...

Now I needed to figure out a simple yet effective way to keep the rain out. I know! A cover for the cover!

Next I put in some screen material and buttoned it all up with some clear silicone to secure and seal everything. It's not going to win a beauty contest but here are the pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200615-210538.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	27323

Name:	Screenshot_20200615-210323.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	27324

Name:	Screenshot_20200615-210302.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	27325

So 2 weeks ago we went back out for 5 days. It was 86 degrees and little to no shade at our site. This was what our fridge temps were:

Name:	Screenshot_20200615-210308.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	27326

Yes, that is 5 BELOW zero in the freezer! Needless to say, I was VERY pleased. Normally I would not show a DIY job that looks, well, so-so at best. But the results made me feel I had to share for those that have a fridge in the slide and no room for the typical fan install.

Boomer