User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrady1 View Post
    Hello,

I have a 2015 4WD V8 5.7L (engine model 3UR-FE) Double Cab w/ a tow package. Looks like this travel trailer is close to my towing limits. Has anyone towed this camper or one with a similar weights?

Thanks!
    You will most likely be legally overloaded on your truck’s rated payload and possibly RAWR.

That being said, with some airbags, good load range E tires aired up, a good electric brake controller (don’t bother with the POS toyota controller), and a good, properly adjusted WDH- your Tundra should tow this trailer ok. One more thing, where are you planning on towing this camper and how often? You most likely have the small 26 gallon fuel tank on your Tundra so I’d recommend planning on carrying some emergency fuel and be prepared to stop often. I would plan on traveling slow and easy, see how it does before you jump into a new truck.

I have towed some very heavy loads with my Tundra and I’m impressed how well it tows. I know, that doesn’t excuse overloading it nor do I recommend it, just an observation of mine. It’s not as stable or powerful as my old f350 PS dually but it does feel more stable than my previous max tow f150 ecoboost.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Advertised tongue weight on your trailer is NOT including the 2 x 38 LB (20 lb advertised product) propane tanks nor does this include the flooded lead acid battery(multiple?). So assume immediately about +120 lbs for the tanks and battery.
    Next, you go buy that nice WDH with integrated sway control. Your spring bars, ball, hitch head and all is going to be around +100 lbs. So your at advertised tongue weight + 220 or more before you put a pillow into the camper.

Now go start tossing your beer, water, foods, bedding, clothing, televisions, games, pots/pans, emergency tools, power cables, hoses, bottle jack, electric impact, camp chairs... and more....

I found that my old unit had a sticker tongue weight of 780 LBS, and fully loaded I hit the cat scales and saw just under 1,600 lbs tongue weight. I was somewhat in shock and awe as I went through the CAT scale print outs and started to understand what all was going on.
    Yep -- I'm about 1100ish lbs to hitch on an F250 with 2219 lbs available payload. 1500ish lbs to hitch with 60 gallons of fresh water (297RSTS/799 tongue weight per spec). Weighed on a Sherline 2000. It all adds up quick and it's a good idea to use as much of the available trailer payload (staying inside of GVWR) as possible...vs. carrying items in the truck bed/cab.
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12