User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 F250 will not charge trailer battery

Does anyone know how to get a F250 to energize the charge circuit on the 7 pin. It looks like it activates automatically when brake controller senses a trailer pugged in but mine does not. Ideas???? Thanks
    2020 2670MK
    2019 F250 6.2 Gasser 4X4 3.73
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your fuses. Fords are notorious for not having the towing charge circuit fuse installed. Sometimes its included in a bag in the glovebox. Check both fuse boxes and look up which one in your owners manual.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve heard of guys plugging in the trailer and having to hit the brake pedal once or twice to activate the charging circuit. Let us know what you find.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Check your fuses. Fords are notorious for not having the towing charge circuit fuse installed. Sometimes its included in a bag in the glovebox. Check both fuse boxes and look up which one in your owners manual.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    That’s true for your 2016 Ford truck but not for the 2019 Ford trucks.

After 2016 the Ford integrated brake controller no longer needs that fuse/relay to activate the brake controller.

On the 2019 you MUST HAVE THE DOORS CLOSED and step on the brake pedal for a few seconds to activate the controller. If you try it with the door open it will not activate.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    That’s true for your 2016 Ford truck but not for the 2019 Ford trucks.

After 2016 the Ford integrated brake controller no longer needs that fuse/relay to activate the brake controller.

On the 2019 you MUST HAVE THE DOORS CLOSED and step on the brake pedal for a few seconds to activate the controller. If you try it with the door open it will not activate.
    I have an 2013 F250, I wasn't aware of this issue. Happy to see this post.
    How can I test my 7-way plug on the truck and the battery in the rig to see if it is charging?

Another question. If i'm at a rest stop for the night running off the battery on the rig, would the rig drain my truck batteries having the 7-way plugged into the truck?

Thanks
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    I have an 2013 F250, I wasn't aware of this issue. Happy to see this post.
    How can I test my 7-way plug on the truck and the battery in the rig to see if it is charging?

Another question. If i'm at a rest stop for the night running off the battery on the rig, would the rig drain my truck batteries having the 7-way plugged into the truck?

Thanks
    Measure voltage between the pin at 1 o’clock and the pin at 7 o’clock on the truck connector with the truck running. Should see 13-14.7V. Now turn the key off. Measure the voltage again. If it’s still there, you can run your battery down with the trailer. If the voltage goes away with the key off, you don’t need to worry about it.

Some Fords need a relay added to enable the charging circuit. You can get it at any auto parts store for a few dollars and install it in 30 seconds.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so here is what I found out. I took my truck in for some warranty work and have them fix my charging problem also. They tried to charge me 367.00 Diagnostic fee only to tell me the fuse was missing from slot 65. The book says it controls Trailer Tow Lighting Module. I do not understand but they say this activates the brake controller to turn on power to charging circuit. We had a long discussion about what I paid for trailering pkg and camper Pkg and not have this work. We settled on 50.00 i will be going to hook up trailer tomorrow to make sure it works. SHAME on Ford for not installing this fuse new or labeling it correctly.
    2020 2670MK
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceball1 View Post
    OK so here is what I found out. I took my truck in for some warranty work and have them fix my charging problem also. They tried to charge me 367.00 Diagnostic fee only to tell me the fuse was missing from slot 65. The book says it controls Trailer Tow Lighting Module. I do not understand but they say this activates the brake controller to turn on power to charging circuit. We had a long discussion about what I paid for trailering pkg and camper Pkg and not have this work. We settled on 50.00 i will be going to hook up trailer tomorrow to make sure it works. SHAME on Ford for not installing this fuse new or labeling it correctly.
    @Riceball1 Let me know what you find out after hooking up, please.
    This is very interesting and helpful.
    Slot 65, is this under the hood or elsewhere?
    Also, what type of fuse was this?

Thank you in advance

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Measure voltage between the pin at 1 o’clock and the pin at 7 o’clock on the truck connector with the truck running. Should see 13-14.7V. Now turn the key off. Measure the voltage again. If it’s still there, you can run your battery down with the trailer. If the voltage goes away with the key off, you don’t need to worry about it.

Some Fords need a relay added to enable the charging circuit. You can get it at any auto parts store for a few dollars and install it in 30 seconds.
    @jkwilson I will have to check on this. I would hate to wake up to drained batteries.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    @jkwilson I will have to check on this. I would hate to wake up to drained batteries.
    it will not drain battery when key is off circuit is dead
    2020 2670MK
    Blue Ox towing hitch
    New to everything here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast