User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    . . . the 2019 you MUST HAVE THE DOORS CLOSED and step on the brake pedal for a few seconds to activate the controller. If you try it with the door open it will not activate.
    I've sorted this out today in the driveway for my 2020. It did have fuse installed. I just needed to follow Jerryr's advice.

You can see the difference on the Victron, I don't know how to check this otherwise. The stepping on the brake pedal part was the trick. I needed to press the pedal hard, sometimes twice, to activate the circuit. After that it stays live until I shut the truck off, even after opening and closing the doors. Last time, when the DW checked the Victron while we were moving, I had been very light on the brakes. I suspect the circuit doesn't fire up until you brake hard enough to activate the controller.

I'm just adding "pump the brakes a couple of times" to my mental drive-off checklist. That will get a little juice flowing.

Thanks everybody for the discussion!
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for giggles, try turning on lights to activate charging....pretty sure at my last harvest host that activated mine. 2017 Ford
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So have we reached a consensus. Is fuse 27 actually required or not?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    So have we reached a consensus. Is fuse 27 actually required or not?
    Not on your 2017 or newer models but yes on 2016s and below. If you look at position 27 on your 2917 I suspect you will see there aren’t even any pins in the truck side.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Not on your 2017 or newer models but yes on 2016s and below. If you look at position 27 on your 2917 I suspect you will see there aren’t even any pins in the truck side.
    Thank you. That's what I thought.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found on our 2019 f350 with towing package and all, that is wasn’t charging the Rv batteries. Since I’m using a Reese Goosebox ball hitch with Ford factory ball, I programmed the trailer as a “gooseneck” trailer. Not until I changed program setting from gooseneck to Fifth-wheel, then truck started charging Rv batteries. The fuse slots that others are mentioning, were not needed. So I’m going with the “close driver door, step on brake, and put tranny in Drive”. I also put a volt meter w/switch on my hitch box so I see what the voltage was doing going down the road. I can turn the volt meter when parked or not needed.
    It’s a great quick visual Voltage indicator.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was dealing with the same issue then learned it wasn’t an issue at all. Same scenario. I tested for power and when there wasn’t any detected at the plug, I checked the fuse box. According to the owner’s manual, there should be a relay and a fuse. Mine was relay In slot # 37 and fuse in #27. To my surprise, both were missing from the fuse box. I went and did a little digging and found out Ford had put out a memo regarding this confusion. From Ford:

SSM 46212:

All 2017 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a factory trailer brake controller (TBC) utilize a trailer module (TRM) which initiates the trailer charging system. For trailer charging to operate, the TRM must detect a trailer is connected and a brake pedal input before charging will be present at the trailer connector. Adding the trailer battery charge relay and fuse into the battery junction box are not required to operate trailer charging with a TRM. If testing of the trailer charging system is required without a trailer, refer to the updated diagnostics and system operation found in the online Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 417-01 Exterior Lighting.
    Mike and Lainie
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    2017 Ford F-250 6.7L Super Duty 4X4
    Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Just for giggles, try turning on lights to activate charging....pretty sure at my last harvest host that activated mine. 2017 Ford
    Tried turning of the lights. It didn't activate the circuit in the F250. Looks like pumping the brakes is it.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to revive this thread...

I bought a new cargo trailer and the interior lights wouldn't work. I didn't think much of it; it's a simple system so it should be easy to fix right? Well... I initially found the culprit which was a protection diode to prevent the brake battery from powering the interior lights... No problem, just plug in the truck and the lights should work.... nothing. Measure voltage at the truck connector... no voltage... check the fuse... good... scratch head... is the truck broken?... ask google.... it brought me back here!

I followed the guidance here and it turns out there is nothing wrong... except the system design. This is almost impossible to diagnose without external guidance and help. If you follow the procedure (door closed and brake on to activate the system) then get out to check voltage, the system is deactivated again... impossible to check by yourself.

I have two questions here: Why did Ford make this so complex and also @Jerryr why do you know so much about how Ford set this up? This is so non intuitive.

Thanks to all for this thread. It solved my issue in a couple hours instead of weeks of troubleshooting!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Time to revive this thread...

I bought a new cargo trailer and the interior lights wouldn't work. I didn't think much of it; it's a simple system so it should be easy to fix right? Well... I initially found the culprit which was a protection diode to prevent the brake battery from powering the interior lights... No problem, just plug in the truck and the lights should work.... nothing. Measure voltage at the truck connector... no voltage... check the fuse... good... scratch head... is the truck broken?... ask google.... it brought me back here!

I followed the guidance here and it turns out there is nothing wrong... except the system design. This is almost impossible to diagnose without external guidance and help. If you follow the procedure (door closed and brake on to activate the system) then get out to check voltage, the system is deactivated again... impossible to check by yourself.

I have two questions here: Why did Ford make this so complex and also @Jerryr why do you know so much about how Ford set this up? This is so non intuitive.

Thanks to all for this thread. It solved my issue in a couple hours instead of weeks of troubleshooting!
    The beauty of a dc to dc charger cannot be overstated. With the victron unit we have, it is bluetooth also, so you can watch the 38 amps going into the battery when you are going down the highway. We also can bluetooth to the bmv712, and see the state of charge of all those lithium atoms.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234