User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel from Lehigh Valley, PA to Jackson, WY and West Yellowstone MT. Suggestions

We have done a most recent travel (Dec 2019) Lehigh Valley, PA(Home) to West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia, then back home to Lehigh Valley, all in 3 weeks. Traveling wasn't an issue because it was broken up in between destinations.

With that said.

The wife and I were able to secure reservations for this year(2020) at Jackson Campground in Jackson WY, 4 nights and West Yellowstone KOA, 5 nights, mid August into September.
    We will be traveling via route 476, 80, 191, to 20. This is 2,230 miles one way.

This trip to Teton/Yellowstone, we are giving ourselves 4 days for travel each way.

My question, Is 4 days plenty of travel time. Are pushing it? I'm just curious to what others think and have done on long hauls.
    How many hours a day are to much, how few hours just isn't worth it.

I'm opening this conversation as a start, I'm sure I'll have other questions as I am beginning the planning process.

Thank you all in advance,
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    We have done a most recent travel (Dec 2019) Lehigh Valley, PA(Home) to West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia, then back home to Lehigh Valley, all in 3 weeks. Traveling wasn't an issue because it was broken up in between destinations.

With that said.

The wife and I were able to secure reservations for this year(2020) at Jackson Campground in Jackson WY, 4 nights and West Yellowstone KOA, 5 nights, mid August into September.
    We will be traveling via route 476, 80, 191, to 20. This is 2,230 miles one way.

This trip to Teton/Yellowstone, we are giving ourselves 4 days for travel each way.

My question, Is 4 days plenty of travel time. Are pushing it? I'm just curious to what others think and have done on long hauls.
    How many hours a day are to much, how few hours just isn't worth it.

I'm opening this conversation as a start, I'm sure I'll have other questions as I am beginning the planning process.

Thank you all in advance,
    2,230 miles in 4 days is like 550 miles a day. Do you normally travel that far in a day? For us, our comfort zone when traveling is around 250 miles tops. And not all one night stands.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me correct myself.
    We are going to Jackson Campground and spending several nights there. So it is 2,050 miles to Jason WY, then on to West Yellowstone, which is 180 miles.
    I originally had it as 2,230 miles straight to West Yellowstone. So slightly shorter by 180 miles.
    We will be stopping each night along the way. Traveling between 7am and 4pm.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RoJoSo, we drove from FL to ID and it was about 2200 miles. We planned to drive about 350 miles per day and broke it up over 6 days. I thought it wasnt bad, but my wife drove separately with her truck and had most of the kids with her and she thought it was a bit much. I guess it all depends on your travel habits. We've done plenty of 500 mile day trips, but I prefer closer to 350 if plans allow for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's doable, but you are going to have sun in your face for a lot of it. The real downside on the rapid haul is missing all the interest along the way. Lots of beautiful country that a leisurely pace allows you to take in. I have done this trip many times for business as I have mines, processing plants and production facilities across Wyoming and for pleasure (and live in PA too). I definitely take it way slower for pleasure regardless of the familiarity.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    Let me correct myself.
    We are going to Jackson Campground and spending several nights there. So it is 2,050 miles to Jason WY, then on to West Yellowstone, which is 180 miles.
    I originally had it as 2,230 miles straight to West Yellowstone. So slightly shorter by 180 miles.
    We will be stopping each night along the way. Traveling between 7am and 4pm.
    Wow,, 8-9 hours of driving for 4 straight days would drive me crazy.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Wow,, 8-9 hours of driving for 4 straight days would drive me crazy.
    Me too! I'm in a no hurry position when traveling with my 5W so I do about 300 miles in a day which is my truck's gas tank limit and about 5-1/2 to 6 hours driving. It's myself and my dog so we often take stops to see the surroundings and stretch our legs. Two days of that consecutively starts to wear on us both so if driving through on the second night I'll find a place that I will stay over two nights. Usually some place with fishing / trails or points of interest I'd like to see. It took me nearly a week to get the 1100 miles from home in the Philly 'burbs to Tampa Fla. in mid February.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-18-2020 at 04:57 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a similar trip a couple of years ago, albeit from northwestern NJ. We made it to Fort Collins, CO in three long driving days. I will say this, I am a former long haul trucker, so long miles don't bother me, and the DW tolerates it. We do make it a point to stop every two hours to stretch our legs, and have an approximate 750 mile fuel range. If you aren't used to long miles, I would plan for more than four days, as it will fatigue you real bad and take a toll on your body.

BTW, we stayed a the Jackson Campground also...nice place, a little pricey.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    We did a similar trip a couple of years ago, albeit from northwestern NJ. We made it to Fort Collins, CO in three long driving days. I will say this, I am a former long haul trucker, so long miles don't bother me, and the DW tolerates it. We do make it a point to stop every two hours to stretch our legs, and have an approximate 750 mile fuel range. If you aren't used to long miles, I would plan for more than four days, as it will fatigue you real bad and take a toll on your body.

BTW, we stayed a the Jackson Campground also...nice place, a little pricey.

Big Mike
    Thanks Mike.
    I enjoy driving. We will be stopping about every 300 miles for fuel.
    Likely 450 miles a day.
    While stopping for fuel we will get a stretch and a walk about the area. Also stopping to eat and relaxing with no hurry.
    Maybe talk the DW into an extra day each way.

Jackson Campground I thought was pricey as well but, DW wants full hook ups so it is what it is.
    We stayed in New Orleans and that was more than $125/night and it was a parking lot. Everything was in walking distance though.