User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Using a 2200 Genie to run A/C?

Hello,

This probably doesn't apply to any fifth wheels or large campers. I have a small A/C in my GD Imagine XLS 21BHE (25 feet long). I have read online that some are able to run an A/C on a 2000 inverter generator. Some use a Micro Aire soft start and some start the A/C on the fan setting to prevent the huge starting surge, then switch the A/C to cool mode after a few minutes. This sounds somewhat dubious to me, so I'm wondering if anyone here was able to do this without installing the Micro Aire Soft Start?

I'm considering this because the genies over 3000 are just too heavy for me to lift and I would have to store it permanently in the back of my truck. I've thought about getting a small 2000 generator with parallel capability to try this out for myself. Then, I can get another one and set up a parallel system if it doesn't work.

I use propane for cooking and the fridge, so the generator will be running just the A/C, charging an iPhone, and a couple of LED lights. Thoughts?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still curious about the answer to this question so I'm leaving this up even though my problem is solved. I finally found a larger generator that will fit underneath my tonneau cover on my Jeep Gladiator. It has a small truck bed with a height of about 18 1/2 inches. Most of the 3000+ generators are 20 inches high or more, so I was starting to think a parallel system may be my only option. I only weigh 130 lbs. so lifting a 100 lb. generator in and out of a truck bed on a regular basis just isn't feasible for me. I need something that can stay there during the camping season with the cover down and locked. And, no, I won't be running it under the cover. It's a hard cover that flips up in 3 sections, so I'm going to flip up the end and pull the genie out onto the open tailgate so fumes/heat don't build up underneath.

The Champion 3100 with remote start is 18.3 inches high and is currently on sale for $699 ($250 off) at Lowe's if anyone is interested. It's a Father's Day sale so it should be on for a few more days. That's probably the best deal I'm going to find with hurricane season in session, so I bit the bullet.