User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TS BD5-RAM first impressions

After upgrading my truck earlier this year , I decided it would be a good time to upgrade the hitch as well. Research pointed me to a Trailer Saver BD5 with their newly designed RAM underbed system. After nearly 3 months , it was ordered and paid for 3/25/20 , it arrived Monday , 6/15/20. The hitch portion looks well thought out and made. The problem, for me , is the RAM system. It looks like if I had a Ford puck hitch and some angle iron , and thought ,”Heck , I can make this work”. The main issue is with the rear locking cams. First , they were not machined properly into the feet / spacers , so can not be adjusted enough to remove all the up an down motion of the hitch in the pucks. Instead of making the feet larger like the OE , TS used what looks to be four of the same feet , which leaves excessive front to back and side to side motion of the foot in the puck. The diameter of the rear cams is .619” vs. .785”for the OE , roughly 35% less mass if I’m doing my math correctly. Lastly, the feet are so short the frame is sitting on the bed.
    So , they are supposed to be re-machining some cam pins to allow more adjustment and shipping them to me. My other concerns seem to have no remedy.
    Now I have to decide use it on my next trip , 2500 miles , and see how it goes , or start over.
    Charlie Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE5216D1-BFF5-4C69-9F03-34C0BA789BF3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	902.1 KB 
ID:	27355
    The silver is OE / black is TS
    Last edited by cfowler55; 06-18-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Final impression - it was sent back to Hensley , waiting on refund. The re-machined feet did allow the pins to be adjusted enough to take out the play. Then , it leaked. Badly. With a gauge on the fill valve I could actually watch it drop.Fortunately I have equipment , so I set it up on stands and found a defective air bag. Replaced it and tightened some fittings. Unfortunately I could figure no way to lift the frame for bed clearance. It was cinched down tight on the raised ribs in the bed floor.
    I’m fairly disappointed in the outcome , as I was really looking forward the smooth tow they are supposed to provide. As noted in the original post , the hitch portion looks nice. It’s the RAM adapter that seems to be a poor execution of a good idea. Hopefully others will have a better outcome.
    Throughout the process Hensley has been responsive and ok to work with.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin