Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Recommendations

Good Morning,

Pretty excited... we are picking up our new Imagine 3100RD sometime in the next couple of weeks. I need to get a weight distributing hitch and looking for recommendations.

Thank you,

JB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you search here and over at GD for weight distributing hitch there are a vast number of threads with useful information. You will find folks like numerous brands. I have an old Equalizer system from days pasted that worked well for me when I had a TT.

And as I see this is your second post welcome to the forum.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it safe to leave the hitch hanging from your rig?
    Going on a short trip and need room in the pickup bed to haul stuff around once we’re camped.
    Hitch is 175# and don’t have a way to lift it out of the bed.
    I’ve seen it done but not sure it’s a good idea.

Thx,
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    Is it safe to leave the hitch hanging from your rig?
    Going on a short trip and need room in the pickup bed to haul stuff around once we’re camped.
    Hitch is 175# and don’t have a way to lift it out of the bed.
    I’ve seen it done but not sure it’s a good idea.

Thx,
    John
    If I understand you correctly you want to leave your 5th wheel hitch dangling from the king pin in the camp sight. Now I have done it at home with a previous hitch but with my current hitch it comes apart in 3 easy to handle sections. ( Reese Titan R20)

As to your question - heck NO!!!!!! Just think if a kid came along and messed with it while your away. I would not want the horrible ramifications on my mind . Search for hitch lifts and you might find something that would work - or a ramp and dolly. I once saw a fellow camper use an 8' 2x10 (fit between the legs of his hitch) He slid the hitch down it to remove, and partially slid the hitch up and then lifted the 2x10 to get it back in the bed - was a 2 person job, but it was mostly sliding effort. He stored the board in the bed when traveling.

Have you tried asking a fellow camper for a bit of help. Most able bodied folks probably wood.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    If I understand you correctly you want to leave your 5th wheel hitch dangling from the king pin in the camp sight. Now I have done it at home with a previous hitch but with my current hitch it comes apart in 3 easy to handle sections. ( Reese Titan R20)

As to your question - heck NO!!!!!! Just think if a kid came along and messed with it while your away. I would not want the horrible ramifications on my mind . Search for hitch lifts and you might find something that would work - or a ramp and dolly. I once saw a fellow camper use an 8' 2x10 (fit between the legs of his hitch) He slid the hitch down it to remove, and partially slid the hitch up and then lifted the 2x10 to get it back in the bed - was a 2 person job, but it was mostly sliding effort. He stored the board in the bed when traveling.

Have you tried asking a fellow camper for a bit of help. Most able bodied folks probably wood.
    It can be done safely. Just lock it closed. If a kid manages to defeat the lock, and then gets injured.... Darwins law at work.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your inputs. we'll be camped at a friends house who has no kids, and yes we will lock it closed.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA