Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Auburn, Wa. . .for now, going full time in 2021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer brake wiring

Greetings, this is my first post in the forum. Hope I'm learning and doing this correctly.

My situation: We finally had our 2019 Solitude 375-RES out for an overnight trip. It seemed everything went well. . .unitl:

Driving back home I hear a ping. Start looking for the warning light but can't find one. I scroll through the list on trip info and I see under the Trailer Brake section I have "Check Trailer Brake Wiring".

I test the brakes and it feels like they are working. I go not much further and the "Check Trailer Brake Wiring" goes away.

Anybody have any ideas?

Oh, how do I add a nice signature like most people on here have fashioned?

Thanks,

David & Jewell
    2019 Ram 3500 DRW
    2019 Solitude 375-RES

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you have a Ram, I know a similar message on a Ford indicates a short in the trailer brake wiring circuit. Not sure if Rams are the same. Some people have reported excess moisture in the 7 pin socket can also cause this message to pop up. I would start by checking the plug for moisture. If the message doesnt constantly cone on it seems less likely to be a wiring problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I see you have a Ram, I know a similar message on a Ford indicates a short in the trailer brake wiring circuit. Not sure if Rams are the same. Some people have reported excess moisture in the 7 pin socket can also cause this message to pop up. I would start by checking the plug for moisture. If the message doesnt constantly cone on it seems less likely to be a wiring problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response.

The pin socket is dry. I guess I'll give a call to the local dealer and ask the service department their thoughts.

We have a 10 day trip through Eastern Washington into Idaho coming up. Sure don't want any tralier brake problems on some of dowm grades we'll be seeing.

David

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or a loose connection at the plug. Before heading to the dealer do a bunch of wiggling and testing. Maybe coat the pins on the plug with some dielectric grease to aid contact surfaces. Some trouble shooting yourself could save money in the end.

You most likely have to have the trailer connected, the truck in gear to simulate driving. At least with a Ford you would have to. And I think in a Ford you have to be moving at some speed (maybe 3 mph before the brakes work - or maybe it is foot pressure); not sure how a RAM works. You can always manually engage the brakes.

And now a word about signature lines..... You have to be a paying member to do that.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Or a loose connection at the plug. Before heading to the dealer do a bunch of wiggling and testing. Maybe coat the pins on the plug with some dielectric grease to aid contact surfaces. Some trouble shooting yourself could save money in the end.

You most likely have to have the trailer connected, the truck in gear to simulate driving. At least with a Ford you would have to. And I think in a Ford you have to be moving at some speed (maybe 3 mph before the brakes work - or maybe it is foot pressure); not sure how a RAM works. You can always manually engage the brakes.

And now a word about signature lines..... You have to be a paying member to do that.
    Thanks, Larry!
    David & Jewell Folsom