Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converter

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter

I have the WF-9800 series converter in my '20 303RLS. Not sure if it's problem or not but when we are plugged into shore power the converter seems to go on and off continuedly. I can hear it coming on and off all night. Almost ever few seconds. Not sure if it's the small fan or something else. I gets annoying hearing it all night.

I read the manual and know that there are three modes but it doesn't say anything about the noise being normal.

Any ideas?
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably the fan, it does cycle on and off frequently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. It does sound like the fan but every couple of seconds seems odd. But if that's what it does then we can deal with it.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your converter is probably located behind the false wall in the basement. If you remove the wall and look at the back of the converter you can see the fans, you will be able to see them turn on and off and that should align with the sound you hear. At least that would give you some confirmation if that's what you are hearing.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryball View Post
    I have the WF-9800 series converter in my '20 303RLS. Not sure if it's problem or not but when we are plugged into shore power the converter seems to go on and off continuedly. I can hear it coming on and off all night. Almost ever few seconds. Not sure if it's the small fan or something else. I gets annoying hearing it all night.

I read the manual and know that there are three modes but it doesn't say anything about the noise being normal.

Any ideas?
    In my 2020 337 the converter fan only comes on when under load. Loads are generated by charging the battery or using DC in the trailer. Are you using a lot oh DC? I could hear mine come on when I had ceiling lights on and turn on outside lights. In the winter when using the tank heaters it would come on.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"m almost sure it's the fan. As for using a lot of DC power I don't think so. All the lights where off and there was nothing else on except the ghost lights on the radio and frig. And of course the blue overhead light switch. Doesn't seem like much power use to cause the converter to cycle on and off 24/7.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryball View Post
    I"m almost sure it's the fan. As for using a lot of DC power I don't think so. All the lights where off and there was nothing else on except the ghost lights on the radio and frig. And of course the blue overhead light switch. Doesn't seem like much power use to cause the converter to cycle on and off 24/7.
    If this continues the first thing I would do is make sure your tank heaters are off if you have them. In 2020 GD added tank heaters to the 337 so you might have them. They draw a lot od DC. Next you need to locate your converter and verify that it is cycling as you suspect. Look behind the basement wall with all the plumbing and wiring. If you confirm that the converter fan is constantly comming on then off then this does not sound right.

Here is a link to the manual
    https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...Manual-web.pdf

Here is a quote from the manual about the cooling fan.

Automatic Cooling Fan
    The cooling fan in the WF-9800 Series Converter-Chargers is controlled by the
    current (Amperage) load attached to the converter, NOT by temperature. The on-board microprocessor increases fan speed as the total load increases and decreases fan speed as the load decreases.
    Unlike traditional temperature-controlled fans, the load-controlled fan provides better component cooling by avoiding temperature spikes which can lead to premature component failure.

So the more amps you draw the faster the fan runs. Possible problems, bad converter, bad battery, something causing high current draw like the tank heaters.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that helps. Funny you said something about the tank heaters and no they are not on. We live in a cold climate so we store our rig down in the Sacramento Valley during the winter so we do not have to winterize. This Spring we brought our trailer home and it turned very cold, almost freezing so we turned our tank heaters on. We left them on over night and the batts were drained down. Almost dead. I called our dealership about this problem because I assumed the converter would have kept the batts up. They told me that the tank heaters where only to be turned on for about an hour and then turned off. I thought this was odd because if this trailer is a Four Seasons rig how would you keep the tanks from freezing in really cold weather throughout the night? Anyway that's what they told me. But my question was still-Why didn't the converter keep the batts up. Where they drawing more power than converter could replenish? I did have both heaters on at once so maybe that's the reason.

Truth be told we've had several other appliance problems so I see no reason why the converter isn't the next in line to be replaced. Good thing is I have the direct number to the GD parts person and she is great. I don't even go through our dealership because their system is to take our trailer in. Wait up to 10 days to figure out the problem. Order the parts. Wait up to 10 days for them to receive the parts. Another 5 to 10 days to replace the parts. So we miss out on almost a month of travel. Our GD person just send me the parts and I take our rig into the dealership for replacement. One day tops.

Thanks Always Learning----Great handle----Aren't we all Always Learning
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gerryball I'm assuming you were plugged into shore power, is it possible you either had the converter breaker off or maybe accidentally bumped the battery disconnect switch.

As far as tank heaters, unless GD has changed something the tank heaters they use have a built in thermostat that controls when they actually turn on and off. Leaving the switch on doesnt necessarily mean the heaters are on. Mine is a 2017 and that is how my heaters operate. I've actually looked at the tank heaters physically installed on my tanks and then looked up the info from the manufacturer of the heaters.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the converter was on because I could hear the fans running and when I turned the heaters off it didn't take long before the batt where up to normal. I assumed they were on a thermostat but that's not what my tech said. The code on the frig readout said the batts where low and as soon as I turned the heaters off the code when off. Not sure what's going on but with everyone's help we'll figure it out. We spend well over half the time dry camping and I use my generator and portable solar panels to keep the batts up. I want to get this thing worked out because like the Pony Express--Neither Rain nor Sleet or Snow will keep me home.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast